Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a tragic story today about a woman who was driving downtown with her boyfriends dog. The dog jumped out of an open window, got hit by a car and now is missing.

Tyler isn't particularly fond of the car but he relaxes and enjoys resting his head outside the window. He is trained so that even if all the doors are open he is to sit and wait until I say okay. However, I don't know if this translates to him understanding not to jump out an open window. He has never tried to jump out, he has never even put his paws on the door. If I go into a store, I leave the window about halfway down and I've never seen him try to get out.

But... this story makes me worry and I've heard other similar stories like it.

What do you think? Is it dangerous?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think it is important to lock your car windows, whether they are closed or partially open. If the dog steps on the window button, he won't either open it all the way, or close it and strangle himself.

I open the windows about 3" when Aidan is in the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's really unbelievable..how big is that dog? Did she open window completely, or just half?
Everytime when I drive the car to take my dog to dog park, I just left a gap on window which is 2 inches.
My dog is malamute, large breed dog. He needs fresh air when he stays in my car..

·
Banned
693 Posts
Oohhh boy, story time.

I was driving down Ford Rd (a very large main road around here) back when I was 19. I had my dog, Shenzi, in the car with me. She loved riding in the front seat, so I let her and she loved sticking her head out of the window. I trusted her to never be dumb enough to jump out of the car. Bad idea. She saw a squirrel while I was in the middle of Ford Rd and leaped out of the window. I immediately pulled into a CVS and spent about fifteen stressful minutes chasing the dog around in rush hour traffic at a busy intersection. She thought it was a super fun game. I actually even got hit by a car (just grazed my leg).

Finally, I couldn't catch her so I sat down on the curb and just started crying. At that point she trotted over and laid down next to me.

Don't EVER have your car windows down enough for a dog to fit out of them. EVER.

I leave my windows about 2/3s of the way down with Atlas and Loki, but they're both quite large and would have trouble fitting out of the gap.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think it is important to lock your car windows, whether they are closed or partially open. If the dog steps on the window button, he won't either open it all the way, or close it and strangle himself.

I open the windows about 3" when Aidan is in the car.
I do the same.

I'll never forget one particular thread here on DF about a man who lost his little beagle puppy that way. They were driving down the road with her head out the window over his shoulder and he said the next thing he knew she jumped out the window and was gone. He was so heartbroken and it was very sad. It really touched me and after that I've always been very careful to keep the windows down only far enough so the dogs can only stick their nose through. :(

Oh here's the thread I was talking about

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Plus, don't leave your dog in a car when you go into a store. Dogs can easily overheat in 10 min. If the window is down, someone can easily break in and steal your dog, reach a hand in and get bitten or give him something toxic to poison him.

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
Molly jumped out of an open window about a year ago at about 45 mph. She needed lots of stitches but suffered no broken bones (which is miraculous.)

Now they ride in the way back of a van and a steel barrier keeps them there. There are rear a/c vents back there for particularly warm days. Otherwise the windows in the middle are open, so they get plenty of air but no opportunity to stick their heads out the windows.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Huh, lucky I don't often have to drive my dogs, but when I do, they have no opportunity to even stick their head out the window, because what this woman went trough is exactly what I am afraid of.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I get really irritated when I see people driving with their windows open ALL THE WAY and the dogs are standing on the doors with their heads out the window. I don't care how well trained your dog is... it is a huge risk. When I drive with my dog in the car the windows are never open more than 6 inches or so. I don't see a problem with the windows being open enough for the dog's head to stick out, but any more than that... no way. I never leave my dog in the car when going in a store, unless I'm just running into the local convenient store to grab something, in which case I just crack the windows and am only in the store for 2 minutes tops, and I can see him from inside the store. Another thing to remember.. never put your dog in the car first if the keys are in the car, even if it is not running... your dog could hit the lock button and lock him/herself in.. that would be bad.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
When I was at the vets last month there was a woman with a puppy about 4 months old who had jumped from her car window.......poor thing broke it's back leg!

I never leave a window down any farther than my dog can stick just his head out for air.........IF they are not in a crate. I also worry about them getting injured if you have to swerve over or something, for fear they could injure their face on a pole or injure their neck as well. I have resorted as of lately to using a crate. I live in the country but telephone poles are still very present very near the side of the roads. We have a LOT of deer that run out in front of cars where I am and I fear the dogs getting thrown around as well if you need to suddenly try to stop.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I see no problem with having the window open, the dog should be restrained anyway. An unrestrained dog is always a bad idea, whether the windows are open or not.

I only ever leave my dogs in the car while I pop into the store at night when it's nice and cool, and leave the windows closed and the car locked. I wouldn't leave them in the car during the day, too hot with the windows closed, and if I open them someone could break into the car and steal the dog, scare the dog, feed the dog etc.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Way before I knew him, Jack used to travel with his Daddy driving long haul. When Jack was about 1 1/2 years old, he jumped out of the tractor window on the highway. Terry has to swerve the trailer to avoid hitting his own dog, and could have put cars in the ditch by doing so.
Since he was in an area he did not know well, luckily a local woman stopped and showed him how to get to a vet that was close. Jack broke his leg badly in a couple places, injured his hip, and lost half of his tail.
I have to get around to changing my siggy someday. Terry thinks Jack is born in '98, not '99, so that would make Jack actually older than my Willow. Either way, Jack is an old man now. I have known him for almost 4 years now, and have seen his leg get worse as he ages. Really there is nothing that can be done for it... I think he may need pain meds eventually, but now it's just giving out on him.
He doesn't let it slow him down, terrier persistence, but he's been chasing some mouse or chipmunk that has taken up residence in our basement and under the deck. He runs all night back and forth, back and forth, trying to sniff it out, and we've been watching him, his hind end, and bad leg especially, give out on him a lot now.
I'm glad he survived his accident, but watching him age more poorly than he likely would have had to is heart-breaking.
Terry only drives local now, and his boss allows people to take their dogs in the truck occasionally, but Jack never goes now. He's safer at home with me.
I really, really hate seeing dogs half hanging out a car window.

Jack has also bit the hand of a person who stuck their hand in the car window. The person was drunk and purposely teasing him, so I don't blame Jack. Still, Jack could have got in a lot of trouble for it.

Willow is an an angel in the car. She sits quietly, and still, nose slightly in the air, surveying all she sees... it's like watching royalty. I will be getting my next dog used to a harness though.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I never EVER leave the windows rolled down enough for Bella to get any more than the tip of her nose out the window...I don't even like that. Too many really bad things could happen. I too hate seeing people drive by with their dog hanging out the window. Stupid - stupid - stupid. Takes half a second for tragedy to happen and a lifetime of guilt for harming your pet after.

I don't have to worry about automatic windows, although when she was a puppy my b/f at the time had her in the SUV and she rolled the window up on her neck! Good thing a car pulled up next to them and shouted "YOUR DOG!! YOUR DOG!!!" I nearly killed him when he told me about it. :mad:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster has never been allowed to have his head out a window when we're driving. Some may think thats cruel (thats what dogs do!) but I'd rather not have him deal with an eye injury when a little bit of debris is blown back at him and ends up in his eyes. Buster rides in the 3rd row/cargo area of our Durango. If its just beast boy riding with us, I'll fold the whole 3rd row down and he'll get that area to lounge while we travel. If we have all 4 girls, I fold one seat (half the bench) and he gets half of the cargo area.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's really unbelievable..how big is that dog? Did she open window completely, or just half?
Everytime when I drive the car to take my dog to dog park, I just left a gap on window which is 2 inches.
My dog is malamute, large breed dog. He needs fresh air when he stays in my car..
Our sheltie has learned how to open the car windows by stepping on the button. We have to use the child lock on the windows now so he doesn't open them all the way.

Windows can be left open but not open enough for the dog to get its body through...sounds obvious but there have been many cases of dogs jumping out of car windows...

·
Registered
891 Posts
When she goes in the car, Molly is restrained in a travel harness in the back seat. If she's going to the vet, she's in a travel crate. I can't even imagine letting her free range all over the car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Plus, don't leave your dog in a car when you go into a store. Dogs can easily overheat in 10 min. If the window is down, someone can easily break in and steal your dog, reach a hand in and get bitten or give him something toxic to poison him.
Exactly. People always think I'm being paranoid when I tell them that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts