Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local paper has an article today about dogs - grooming, boarding, etc. This excerpt surprised me and I immediately thought of how it would boil the blood of so many here on the forum.
Snowshoe, Curbside and others: It tells me that your convictions about designer dogs are in the minority. I realized that most people read this and don't think twice. Knowing how passionate you guys are about responsible breeding, it must be frustrating. Even though I don't share your opinions 100%, I do respect your opinions.

Personally, I love the cocker/poodle mix :) but the pug/beagle mix seems to create breathing problems, so I don't like that they endorse it here.

At the risk of starting another "designer dogs are stupid and so are their owners" thread, here's the article:

A Tail of Boggles, Puggles and Doodles

Boggles, Goldendoodles, and Cockapoos are just a few of the designer hybrids that are currently all the rage. Mixed breed dogs have shed the archaic title of ‘mutts’ and have emerged as some of the most sought after and desired pets.

The intentional practice of mating two pure bred dogs to produce mixed offspring has become incredibility popular in the past few years, not just to produce cute puppies, but to create the ultimate companion dogs. Breeders selectively cross certain breeds, infusing the best qualities of the pedigree parents into the mixed offspring. There is a multi-fold logic in breeding designer mixes. The first is to lessen the hair loss and dog dander found in higher shedding purebreds, while still retaining favorable personality traits. A good model is the Labradoodle (Labrador Retriever/Standard Poodle cross). These adorable puppies offer more options for families suffering from dog allergies, as well as shed-conscious individuals. Today you can find a multitude of lower shedding crosses, the most popular including: Peek-a-poos (Pekingese/Poodle), Schnoodles (Miniature Schnauzer/Poodle), and Cavachons (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Bichon Frise). The second reason behind creating designer hybrids is that the pups will hopefully possess a more sound temperament. Also, by diluting the gene pool the puppies should be less susceptible to the hereditary and congenital issues that plague their purebred counterparts. A perfect example of these breeding techniques is the Puggle (Pug/Beagle cross). Beagles tend to need constant companionship and often suffer from separation anxiety when their owners are away. However, when the Pug’s happy-go-lucky personality is introduced, a mellower dog results. Conversely, Pugs tend to suffer from hereditary health issues. Beagles do not generally suffer from these issues, hopefully lessening or negating any potential for these problems in a hybrid.

Even the rich and famous recognize the wonderful potential of designer breed dogs! Jessica Simpson has a Malti-poo (Maltese/Toy Poodle) and Matthew McConaughey loves his Labrador Retriever/Chow Chow mix. Their increasing popularity proves that the perfect dog doesn’t require a perfect pedigree.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I like the "designer dogs" or mutts. I think so long as they are not from a puppy mill and who ever is breeding is testing both parents for what ever the usual tests are before breeding it is ok. Of course if they did not have "Designer" dogs I would be perfectly happy with the pure breeds too:)

·
Registered
611 Posts
A dog is a dog. The complainers are troubled by breeders who talk people into buying a dog they don't need, for social acceptence, then discard the dog when the fad is over like a old dress.
The dog of course is often killed at the pound or elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I actually like the look of many of these mixes, particularly cockapoos, labradoodles and goldendoodles, and I can see why people are drawn to them, but a couple of things bother me.

It really bothers me that these dogs are marketed as having the best traits of both breeds, and I think that is the part of the article that bothered me the most also. I was talking to a lady the other day who had this little dog, I'd say it looked just like a cream colored jack russel, short, really wiry coat. She said it was a cockapoo, and went on about how disapointed she was that it did not have that fluffy look. It is very possible that these mixes could end up with the worst of both breeds, and I think people need to be realistic about the fact that there is no breed predictability with mixes.

The other thing that bothers me are dime a dozen mixes, like shepherd/lab, that are prevalent in any shelter in the country. I hope Matthew McConaughey got his lab/chow at a shelter. I think anyone interested in a mixed breed dog should try their local shelter first.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I sure hope this does not turn into the DON'T DO as so many posts have. I thought it wasinteresting to hear a NEW take on the siubject. My dog is a purebred but I have no problem with the "designer dogs"

Thanks for the post Dorygirl.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I agree that a dog is a dog. What bugs me is that these are basically glorified mixes with cute names (Labradoodle, Puggle). I don't at all mean to sound like I am against mixes--I grew up with dogs that were mixed and I could hardly tell you what they were mixed with. Certainly you can get a great dog that is a designer breed, but I am afraid that it is just a fad for people who want something that no one else has, or want to start something that no one else has thought of yet. Rather than get a great purebred dog, or save one that is from a shelter (if it doesn't have a publicly accepted name to it,what's the point, right!?!?) they go out looking for the latest trend in dogs. Like many others, I just hope that the breeders are being smart about what they are doing, but most of them are probably just in it for the $$$$$$$.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Their increasing popularity proves that the perfect dog doesn’t require a perfect pedigree.
This tells me all I need to know about the author and their view on dogs. It's truly sad. The article is laughable at best.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the way I see it, shelters are full of designer dogs that the marketing people haven't come up with names for yet, what do we call a pitt/lab mix? or a GSD/husky mix?

While I agree that at the end of the day a dog is a dog. But these so called designer breeds are more marketing than they are breeding. Are the so called breeders of labradoodle/puggle/cockapoos aware of what problems are inherent to these dogs a few generations down?, more importantly, do they care?

I have to wonder what if any aside from the cute factor is the motivation to specifically get one of these dogs? Because, I'm guessing that at this point a tempereament standard for these "breeds" is non-existent. So lets stop falling for yet another very carefully planned marketing scheme and call these dogs, lovable and great animals as they may be, what they are, MIXED BREEDS.

I'm not saying that these dogs any any less worthy of love, and care as any other dog. I'm asking why are we giving into what is clearly nothing more than an effort to boost puppy sales, and has nothing to do with improving anything other than the pockets of the people who "breed" them?

·
Registered
210 Posts
A mutt is a mutt. Mutts will never have any papers. I can't believe how much people pay for these "designer" mutts. The fad driving the mutt phenomenon is greed. Greedy breeders don't care about the overall health of the animals they pump out. That bothers me.

I disagree that shelters are full of designer dogs. I believe that certain areas may have a lot of "designer" dogs, but around here we have kennels filled with mostly labs, lab mixes, and GSD mixes. There are other mutts in the mix, but those are the three main groups. Big hyperactive dogs that the owners didn't take the time to care for, or didn't want to spend the time to actually train and exercise them. Good dogs that just need the right owners.

Small and medium sized dogs are a rarity in my local shelter. They come in and go out fast because there is a demand for them. Not many of the big dogs make it back out of the local shelter around here.

I own a little mutt, and I love the twerp. All dogs are dogs in the end and deserve love. I just can't see spending large amounts of money for mutts though. There are so many good dogs, mutt and ourebreed, in the shelters now. People should save their money, and get a pound puppy if the shelters have what they want.

·
Registered
172 Posts
]I disagree that shelters are full of designer dogs. I believe that certain areas may have a lot of "designer" dogs, but around here we have kennels filled with mostly labs, lab mixes, and GSD mixes. There are other mutts in the mix, but those are the three main groups. Big hyperactive dogs that the owners didn't take the time to care for, or didn't want to spend the time to actually train and exercise them. Good dogs that just need the right owners.
What I meant was that any mixed breed dog can be turned overnight into a designer dog with the right name.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sorry guys the thought of a "Goldendoodle" or any other poo or whatever through "breeding" and not a pure act of GOD sickens me.--Especially now reading how many people are into this fad and will pay for it but then again I would never pay a lot of money for clothing, shoes or a car because it is a specific brand/model and everyone is into it....

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Sorry guys the thought of a "Goldendoodle" or any other poo or whatever through "breeding" and not a pure act of GOD sickens me.--Especially now reading how many people are into this fad and will pay for it but then again I would never pay a lot of money for clothing, shoes or a car because it is a specific brand/model and everyone is into it....
If it was'nt for us humans we would problably have something like Shi-Golden-Tzus.

Thank God for our free will and not letting the dogs always decide for themselves::p

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Is there a reason that this article isn't attributed to anyone?

I sure hope this does not turn into the DON'T DO as so many posts have. I thought it wasinteresting to hear a NEW take on the siubject. My dog is a purebred but I have no problem with the "designer dogs"

Thanks for the post Dorygirl.
What was NEW about it? It's still the same old promotional nonsense that I've seen over and over by those trying to market purposely bred mixed breeds to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The article shows the ignorance that is abundant in society. It perpetuates that myth that mixes are more healthy and have better temperments.
The second reason behind creating designer hybrids is that the pups will hopefully possess a more sound temperament. Also, by diluting the gene pool the puppies should be less susceptible to the hereditary and congenital issues that plague their purebred counterparts.
The truth is that instead of inheriting only ONE breeds problems, the pup stands the chance of inheriting BOTH breeds health and temperment problems.

If it was'nt for us humans we would problably have something like Shi-Golden-Tzus.

Thank God for our free will and not letting the dogs always decide for themselves::p
It it weren't for us there would be wild dogs and wolves ONLY. We wouldn't have 300+ breeds.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have a designer dog according to dogbreedinfo.

A "Rotterman" :rolleyes: I prefer to call her a Weilerobie but whatever.

I thought about making a new breed, Weilerobiepits, but decided that the risk was too great. A dog with Roxy's attitude and Hades bite pressure, or a little thing with "little dog syndrome". Besides, the market here for Weilerobiepits isn't as big as a big city.... LMAO!

It's a money scheme. That's all.

Ask yourself,

WHY are these people breeding these MIXES/MUTTS? (let's not give them a glorified name like designer dogs, they are in fact MIXES)

Let's cross off what they possibly CANNOT be breeding for: show (you can't show mutts in confirmation), temperment (it would be impossible to know what the mix would be) sport? (I'm sure they could, I mean mix a hunting dog with a herding dog, ultimate sport dog, but for some reason I just don't think that's what's going on here)

So what are they breeding for?

IMO, they're breeding for anything that gets them more money. Labelling them "designer dogs" so yuppies eat it up while wearing their designer clothes and have their puggles in their Louis Vuitton hand bags. Looks, which is nice, but it isn't ALL someone should be breeding for.

If you find a "designer dog" breeder that's breeding for more than looks let me know. But I've yet to see one.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Because dogs would have never been domesticated and would have evolved in a natural manner.
You mean they wouldn't have chosen mates that complimented their colouring, size and general appearance? ;)

I don't know about you, but I thought these designer dogs had inheritantly more "fashion sense" then the average mutt. How dare you say that they wouldn't mate without fashion in mind!! ROFL

1 - 20 of 140 Posts