Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or as the cost of a spay/neuter gone up staggeringly? I worked at a vet clinic for a couple years about 7 years ago. Back then, 150-200$ (Canadian) was a very common price for a spay / neuter, depending on the dog size. Well, it's come time for me to have Aura spayed. She's 45 pounds, 7.5 months, just finished her first heat, healthy and vaccinated. I called around my area (1-2 hour radius, abouts) here are the prices I got.

Exam: $50-$60 (required by most clinics ive never been to)
Mature fee: $50-$60 (for having a heat)
Spay: $400-$500 (including operation, anesthetic, painkillers, supervision, and a tattoo or microchip)

500-600 dollars for a spay? Does this seem outrageous to anyone? Granted, the area I live in is populated mostly by well-to-do people (A group im not part of) I contacted three vet clinics in Duncan (a few hours away from me. Anyone who knows the Vancouver Island area is aware that Duncan is very much less 'well-to-do'). They quoted me $250 for the whole thing (including operation, anesthetic, painkillers, a tattoo if I want it, etc). So it looks like im taking a weekend trip up island to Duncan, lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Location, location, location. Before we fled the suburbs, we lived in a fairly affluent area and used a vet clinic there once (only once...what a racket!). I was offended by the experience at the suburban clinic, living in a nice area doesn't make a person stupid. The short drive to our current vet resulted in much lower costs, a personalized experience and higher quality care. Shopping around is definitely worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It sounds like it's worth it to make the trip. In my area prices differ a lot too, ranging between around 150 to 400 (euros), depending on the clinic you go to. I guess a lot of factors play a part in the price differences, but really, a difference of hundreds of euros? What do those expensive clinics use, utensils made of gold?
Anyway, good luck with the trip! Hope it works out well for you and Aura.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
WOW!!!!!! I'd make that trip too! Here in the states I pay $27 per visit per dog. Cost of spay or neuter is by age and weight of the dog......no more than $120 each for the spay or neuter, providing there are no complications. Good luck. Have a safe trip.

That sounds outrageous!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Outrageous, yes, unexpected, no. Unfortunately. Last time I had a vet quote me for a spay, it was over 400. Last time I had a dog neutered, it cost over 700. Over 400 for the original neuter, then he licked out a couple of stitches so they had to redo them.

The last dog I had spayed, I went to the only low cost spay/neuter clinic I could find in my area, and I live in Southern California, between San Diego and LA, not exactly out in the boonies. But I still could only find the one place. It was around 180 for the spay, and this was "low cost". I could have knocked about 80.00 off that bill, but that would have meant no pain meds, e-collar, or other "extras", just anesthesia and surgery.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last dog I had spayed, I went to the only low cost spay/neuter clinic I could find in my area, and I live in Southern California, between San Diego and LA, not exactly out in the boonies. But I still could only find the one place. It was around 180 for the spay, and this was "low cost". I could have knocked about 80.00 off that bill, but that would have meant no pain meds, e-collar, or other "extras", just anesthesia and surgery

I did look for low-cost clinics around here, but found zero. Well, there was ONE, but they only do it one day a year. There does seem to be ample low-cost clinics in the USA.. but zero on Vancouver island. This makes pet overpopulation a little more explained to me - with the economy down-turning, the cost of living skyrocketing, and jobs scarce, its a wonder where the common people find 500-700 to spend on something that is an option.

WOW!!!!!! I'd make that trip too! Here in the states I pay $27 per visit per dog.
Wow thats a good deal! I wish it were comparable where i live!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
300-400$+ (US) seems to be around the average these days. When Bella was almost 5 months and weighed 27 pounds they quoted me at 315$ excluding the 40$ blood work.

She'll be going to the SPCA as she's now 40 pounds and they'll want something like 450$ to spay her. (SPCA will do it for 160)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had my girl, Dixie, spayed back in January and the spay was $150 + $35 for exam + $15 for rabies vaccination. So all in all, I paid $200. And Dixie was 6 months, hadn't had a heat cycle(vet doesn't charge extra if they have though) and was 36 pounds.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Our exam fee is $58 and our spay is $180 but that was given as an estimate based on her size (they said "Well she's pretty small, so..." .. I don't know what that has to do with anything, maybe the anesthesia cost perhaps which I know can be the bulk of some surgeries. My husband had his wisdom teeth out and I swear the procedure cost was nothing compared to the anesthetic cost :p)

That's in the lower mainland. I had no idea it was so bad on the island.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we got our almost six month old puppy neutered, it only cost $75. In the North Okanagan area where I'm from, we have the Animal Care Society. If you make under a certain amount of money (I think it was $30,000) per year, they will pay the majority of the spay/neuter cost. They also provide free emergency vet care, as well. They are absolutely amazing. When one of my cats was blocked from urinary crystals and was literally laying on his side, crying and trying to pee under the table, I called them and they told me to get him to the vet, asap. They covered an $800 dollar vet bill and I didn't have to pay a penny.

They're the charity I donate to, now. They do so much good but people don't seem to be aware of them around here.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I paid over 700$ (CDN) and they didn't even keep him overnight. I had to go get him as soon as he woke up from the drugs. I also had to cut off the stitches myself. But then, they also did the procedure in my classroom at school.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's in the lower mainland. I had no idea it was so bad on the island.
Sadly, the Island is one of the most expensive places in Canada.. not only because its in BC (lol) but we have a relatively low population, we've got a lot of rich folks, and the cost to get ANYTHING onto the island is extremely high (and getting higher. Thank you BC Ferries) Its not so bad on the Northern tip of the island though, where the more financially common folk live... I ought to relocate, lol (is it obvious I hate Victoria?)

I paid over 700$ (CDN) and they didn't even keep him overnight. I had to go get him as soon as he woke up from the drugs. I also had to cut off the stitches myself. But then, they also did the procedure in my classroom at school.
Oh my god a classroom? Why?

. In the North Okanagan area where I'm from, we have the Animal Care Society.
This sounds like a wonderful organization! I would certainly donate to them as well!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Wow...glad I don't live there. I live in the states and I paid $85 each for both my girls spay, suture removal. Bloodwork, pain meds were extra. When I had two large tumors removed from my elderly dog I paid about $400 for two tumor removals, anesthesia, pre blood work, IV, pain meds, suture removal and pathology. I haven't taken my girls to our new clinic (we moved) so I'm about to find out if this vet is as affordable as my last one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I had two large tumors removed from my elderly dog I paid about $400 for two tumor removals, anesthesia, pre blood work, IV, pain meds, suture removal and pathology.
When I worked at the clinic (many years ago) that kind of treatment would have been easily a thousand dollars.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Oh my god a classroom? Why?
The closest vet is 900 kms away, so every year a vet comes for the weekend. She operates the males, give shots, etc... She works all weekend in my science class since the tables are higher and there are sinks in the room.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I work in a clinic in North Vancouver and it would cost you around $600 to have a mature spay done at my clinic + you'd pay more for tattoo/microchip. My clinic does charge more because the vets will only do the surgery with a laser. It makes such a huge difference in the dog's over all recovery time. Those don't seem unreasonable to me and, honestly, don't choose a clinic to spay her by price. Go for the clinic with the best reputation and the doctors you are most comfortable with, regardless of whether they are the most expensive or the cheapest. A spay is a major surgery and you want your dog to be well monitored during and afterward.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ugh. Those prices ARE outrageous! I know this isn't an option for you, but I always choose to get my dogs spayed and neutered through animal shelters (when they offer the programs). My local humane society even has a mobile spay/neuter clinic that shows up outside of pet stores once a month or so. I'm really lucky... Spays there are between 60-100 dollars depending on size and neuters are 30-60. They also have very cheap vaccines, heartworm tests and meds, and a couple other things.

Of course, we also have the second largest pet "overpopulation" issue in the US, so... there's a lot of incentive for offering lower cost veterinary services.

When I go, I always pay a little bit more than they ask and bring a couple toys or something to donate also. I almost think I'm getting a better service through them, even though they're cheaper, because of how skilled those vets are at doing spays and neuters! I volunteered in a shelter vet clinic once... 9-5 there was a vet doing spays and neuters. I think the daily average for alterations performed was around 70 (dogs and cats) with some days being a LOT more.

Also I don't understand the "mature fee." I've never had to pay anything like that before... maybe somebody more knowledgeable about vet stuff could explain the reasoning behind that? Is it just because the sex organs are more developed?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
It's not just the state or even the city or town, it's the practice. We had Ginger spayed a few months back. I paid well over $300 because I opt for blood work, done a few days prior, in case there are any problems. If they need pain meds, I always get them. For ME, I don't skimp or go for cheap with surgeries

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My female rescue was sent to a vet tech institute in PA from OH to be spayed and all bloodwork and all vaccines and stayed there for 10 days. The cost was $100 total......but she came back to the rescue the day after surgery and I took her home the 11th day. Don't know if it is something new, but she was GLUED together. Talk about being paranoid about her coming UN-GLUED!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts