Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I explained a little bit in poor Summer's thread, but I didn't want to thread jack, plus I have pictures now thanks to Rubylove teaching me how to get my pictures back on my laptop.

So here's my baby in her poor, humiliating cone of shame...this is my creation since the vet freaking wanted 40$! for an E-collar, and the pet store didn't have any. I ordered one so she has to wear this horrid thing until it comes in.
Shes wearing it becuase Aija and her were playing, and Nellie has all these face rolls thanks to her sharpei ness. Well when Aija is chewing on Nellie is made a small hole maybe the size of a pea and it scabbed over, but then Nellie started to scratch it and over one night while I was sleeping she scratched herself open and made it into a giant three inch circle wound, so I took her to the vet to have them check it, and they cleaned it and then the expensive e-collar and pet store thing happened and I managed to create this from posterboard, tape, and a collar a friend gave me...and it was lovely of the store to only have orange....now she looks like a traffic cone. ):

Kay mom...this isn't funny anymore its just dumb....

No...really...take it off....

Aija says "Nellie why you wearinz teh cone of shame?"

*sigh....*

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

HA! That's perfect :D I should wear it while walking Nellie around in the cone!

Ick, heres the wound when not being shielded by cone of shame, it looks much better it was all red and bleedy and terrible...it's finally getting a good scab without her scratching it off.

I still can't believe she did this in one night:eek:

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I don't know that I'd be sure that SHE did it. My lab use to get horrendous hot spots right in the same place that lookd EXACTLY like that on his face from food allergies (what does the vet think?). Poor baby she does look mighty upset about the whole thing. She looks at the other dog like "leave me alone kid you're bothering me (this is all YOUR fault).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know that I'd be sure that SHE did it. My lab use to get horrendous hot spots right in the same place that lookd EXACTLY like that on his face from food allergies (what does the vet think?). Poor baby she does look mighty upset about the whole thing. She looks at the other dog like "leave me alone kid you're bothering me (this is all YOUR fault).

Hmm well I guess that could be it. Is there any way the vet could be able to tell between a hot spot and what my theory is? and is a hot spot something she needs to see the vet about ASAP Or anything? Or can I take care of it myself? I looked at some pictures of hot spots and you may be getting to something..
I was just figuring it was what I thought becuase thats the EXACT place Aija chews on Nellie...

But the vet didn't mention them, I just told him what I thought and hes seen Aija too and knows how crazy she is so he just said that to make sure she doesn't tear it open and keep it clean.

Oh and if it is a hot spot will it appear somewhere else too?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Treatment for Mojo's hot spots was usually a course of oral antibiotics, hot compresses to draw out the infection externally and daily cleaning a few times a day with peroxide to dry it up. Happy Jack puts out an excellent hot spot remedy. It doesn't look too much like your pup's is weepoing too badly but her cheek does look extremely swollen. I'm totally surprised your vet didn't take that into consideration. Just another case of shoddy medical work IMO.

Typically whenever mojo would get hot spots they were localized to his cheeks or neck goiter area. This is typically what they looked like (except mojo was black and not blonde).

It could very well have happened because of the pup chewing on her as it is an infection under the dermis layer so I'm really surprised your vet was so casual about the whole thing. I'd be pissed. It just so happened that Mojo's were generally allergy related.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm well even if it isn't a hot spot it wouldn't hurt to treat it like one would it? Do they spread on their own or from scratching? I have put peroxide on it and kept it very clean, and actually her cheek Isn't swollen at all I was squishing her face all the way to the left trying to get a picture of it becuase she wasn't cooperating. And shes got LOTS of skin to squish around so I see why you think it looks puffy. I'll go to the pet store tomorrow and see if they have the skin stuff, but i doubt it, they didn't have e-collars and its a very small pathetic store Its call "Petzoo" I don't have a petsmart or petco anywhere near me *curse small towns in Alaska*

and the vets the same problem, smalll town, I'm going to the one furthest away from me becuase the two ones that are near are even crappier treatment, they don't seem to take things seriously here:( Gah, I don't think I can switch vets again without having to drive 200 miles.
If it doesn't get better within the next couple days I'll take her back and tell them i think it might be a hot spot and see what he says. Thanks Dog_shrink

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Doug says this:

But, some little guy out there sees this as the glass being half full!! :)

Chin up...&, keep that cone ON as long as it takes for that nasty infection to get all cleared up!! Poor gal :(

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Hot spots often show up when a dog has an itch, often caused by allergies, bug bites or excessive moisture in that spot (Aija chewing!) and are actually created by the scratching. Gets an itch, scratches HARD, puts bacteria from foot in area, moist area GROWS bacteria/infection and so it goes....these are really common in swimming dogs. The cheek area, the hind of the thigh etc have denser fur and the moisture sits against the skin. The medical term for it is Moist Pyoderma (wet pus-sy skin!).

So, aside from antibiotics for severe cases (like yours) and shaving down the area/keeping it clean and dry, the cone of shame is the best thing you can do...as it heals it will itch more and she must leave it alone to allow it to heal.

I'm sorry she must wear the cone of shame...poor puppers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
:D I LOVE the looks Aija is getting from Nellie. My dog usually uses the cone of shame as a weapon, and will ram you or run around coffee tables knocking things off if food is present. :eek:

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Hmm well even if it isn't a hot spot it wouldn't hurt to treat it like one would it? Do they spread on their own or from scratching? I have put peroxide on it and kept it very clean, and actually her cheek Isn't swollen at all I was squishing her face all the way to the left trying to get a picture of it becuase she wasn't cooperating. And shes got LOTS of skin to squish around so I see why you think it looks puffy. I'll go to the pet store tomorrow and see if they have the skin stuff, but i doubt it, they didn't have e-collars and its a very small pathetic store Its call "Petzoo" I don't have a petsmart or petco anywhere near me *curse small towns in Alaska*

and the vets the same problem, smalll town, I'm going to the one furthest away from me becuase the two ones that are near are even crappier treatment, they don't seem to take things seriously here:( Gah, I don't think I can switch vets again without having to drive 200 miles.
If it doesn't get better within the next couple days I'll take her back and tell them i think it might be a hot spot and see what he says. Thanks Dog_shrink
Gosh all that sucks. I usually have the best luck finding happy jack products at the local feed mills so if you have any of them there check it out. Also a product called sulfaden is also really helpful for hot spots. I've had good success with both. The scratching at the sore won't "spred" it but it will make it worse and it will grow but not spred to other areas of the body. Keep cleaning it like you are, keep the area clipped of hair because air is the best healer on these things. You want it to scab up really good.. that means it's healing. Absolutely do the hot compresses if you can't get or don't have antibiotics as that will make it weep outt he pus inside. 15 minutes 3 times a day. If she has lots of skin on her face like a shar pei then you'll need to do regular wrinkle care as there is always mositure between those folds and that is the perfect breeding ground for a hot spot esp. with little one chewing on her face. Even if it is just a bad booboo treating it like a hot spot will NOT hurt it's healing process but only help. Sorry to hear that the vets in your area are junk (it seems to be everywhere now-a-days tho). It sucks when people can do a lousy job, call themselves a medical "professional" charge you out the wazoo and you leave feeling like nothing got resolved. THAT is my biggest problem with vets.

Good luck with your pup and please let me know how things go.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL at Yappypappymom, those are cute :) Thats where I got "The Cone Of Shame" I put it on her and I said "Oh...dear..you look like Doug!"

:D I LOVE the looks Aija is getting from Nellie. My dog usually uses the cone of shame as a weapon, and will ram you or run around coffee tables knocking things off if food is present. :eek:
Haha I know shes just glaring at all the other dogs that are looking at her like "Nellie what ARE you doing?!". Now if Aija even gets near her she looks at her like "GO AWAY PUP! I'm NOT in the mood!"

Hot spots often show up when a dog has an itch, often caused by allergies, bug bites or excessive moisture in that spot (Aija chewing!) and are actually created by the scratching. Gets an itch, scratches HARD, puts bacteria from foot in area, moist area GROWS bacteria/infection and so it goes....these are really common in swimming dogs. The cheek area, the hind of the thigh etc have denser fur and the moisture sits against the skin. The medical term for it is Moist Pyoderma (wet pus-sy skin!).

So, aside from antibiotics for severe cases (like yours) and shaving down the area/keeping it clean and dry, the cone of shame is the best thing you can do...as it heals it will itch more and she must leave it alone to allow it to heal.

I'm sorry she must wear the cone of shame...poor puppers!
It actually looks much better today, I shaved away all the fur around the area so now she looks even weirder. BUT! it does look like its doing much better and is getting a good scab.

Gosh all that sucks. I usually have the best luck finding happy jack products at the local feed mills so if you have any of them there check it out. Also a product called sulfaden is also really helpful for hot spots. I've had good success with both. The scratching at the sore won't "spred" it but it will make it worse and it will grow but not spred to other areas of the body. Keep cleaning it like you are, keep the area clipped of hair because air is the best healer on these things. You want it to scab up really good.. that means it's healing. Absolutely do the hot compresses if you can't get or don't have antibiotics as that will make it weep outt he pus inside. 15 minutes 3 times a day. If she has lots of skin on her face like a shar pei then you'll need to do regular wrinkle care as there is always mositure between those folds and that is the perfect breeding ground for a hot spot esp. with little one chewing on her face. Even if it is just a bad booboo treating it like a hot spot will NOT hurt it's healing process but only help. Sorry to hear that the vets in your area are junk (it seems to be everywhere now-a-days tho). It sucks when people can do a lousy job, call themselves a medical "professional" charge you out the wazoo and you leave feeling like nothing got resolved. THAT is my biggest problem with vets.

Good luck with your pup and please let me know how things go.
Gosh I know the vets here are terrible. And we have like zero good products at stores, I ordered some of the Happy Jack product, so even if it does get better before it come in I'll have it if It happens again.
Oh, and I do clean her wrinkles that how I discovered the small scab before she started scratching, I was cleaning her wrinkle under her cheek and felt it, and since it was so tiny I didn't think much of it until she started tearing it open :( But today it looks really good, like I said above I shaved away all the fur and picked as much out of the wound as I could, and I have been cleaning it and doing the hot compresses.

But you know, the weird thing is, now that I think about it, I think shes had them before, on her chin and the top of her muzzle. Only twice before but I remember her having these weird sores she was scratching at but they were much smaller and healed up in about 4 days to where she stopped itching, I always just thought they were from her getting a normal itch and just scratching a little too hard, but they never ever got this bad and all moist and puss-sy, they were tiny, about the size of a dime.

But thanks everyone for your helpful info, since reading it all and trying these things it already seems to be healing :) And hopefully her REAL E-collar will come in soon so she doesnt have to wear this crazy paper orange one lol.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My dog just finished three weeks with the I call it the "lamp shade", he never fought it I was quite surprised, good dog! The hot spot was on his foot so I had to put a bootie on it every time he went out, I feel the stress was more on us then him, lolo:)

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
AWESOME Jare... that scab it crucial and I knew it would start healing up as soon as you shaved and started the compresses... YAY... So did you shave until you didn't see any more red afflicted skin? Isn't it amazing how far spred it is even if the only ruptured area is so small? Those spots on the bridge of the nose and chin were likely puppy or juvenile impetigo, not hot spots. Sometimes a reaction to the food they were eating sometimes just a thing that happens from changing hormones and growing (look up puppy strangles). If they had puppy impetigo and now hot spots you might want to re-evaluate the food they're eating.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AWESOME Jare... that scab it crucial and I knew it would start healing up as soon as you shaved and started the compresses... YAY... So did you shave until you didn't see any more red afflicted skin? Isn't it amazing how far spred it is even if the only ruptured area is so small? Those spots on the bridge of the nose and chin were likely puppy or juvenile impetigo, not hot spots. Sometimes a reaction to the food they were eating sometimes just a thing that happens from changing hormones and growing (look up puppy strangles). If they had puppy impetigo and now hot spots you might want to re-evaluate the food they're eating.

Keep up the good work!
Oh my gosh yes! I started to think I should shave her entire face! It was irritated ALL AROUND! I was shocked, but yes I shaved till I got to normal skin. And yes I've tried a lot of different food, Nellie has a sensitive tummy and when I first got her the man was feeding her like ol' roy or something terrible and then I got her and put her on blue buffalo, but that made her throw up. I tried a couple different Orijens but she wouldn't eat it and she was losing weight and all medical things were ruled out, it just didn't sit well with her even after she ate it and she'd throw up sometimes. So now Shes on TOTW and has been for a long time and was doing just perfect until we got Aija and she started using her face as a chew toy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts