Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have a three month old lab named Deezel. He's a feisty little guy, but pretty well trained so far and doing great.

One thing that I seem to struggle with is the chase game. When I bring him outside to go potty, he'll usually find something to put in his mouth. When I go to take it away from him, he'll take off either in a sprint or a light trot. He knows he's doing something inappropriate, which is why he books it.

I understand that chasing after him only makes the behavior worse because the dog believes you are instigating play; so this I do not do. I usually ignore the behavior and try walking away in hopes that he'll follow, but instead, he thinks he has won and continues chewing on his "prize."

Other times, I will make myself more interesting by making loud/weird noises, or jumping around, but that's not a form of permanent training. I rather not have to make a fool out of myself at a public place should he decide to try this outside of my yard, haha!

He pretty much understands the "come" command, but it simply goes out the window when he gets into this sort of chasing mood, which makes me unable to reward him for coming to me instead of running away when trying to stop the running.

I know this sort of behavior can be a serious issue in the future, so I'm hoping to stop it while he is still young.

I'm just wondering what some of your methods or ideas would be to control this sort of behavior. I'm generally decent when it comes to training and I understand most dog behavior, but I've never had experience with this!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Teach the Give or Drop It command in the house. Make it rock solid before you try it outside.

Same for the Come command. He stays on leash or a long line until he's rock solid on the recall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts