Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, guys, what's on your bookshelves? Training books, DVDs, or just dog/canine related books (not necessarily training, just good reads). I'm asking because like most of you probably do, I just devour good books and just as I'm finishing one, I'm ready for the next! I'd love to see what others are reading to give me some new ideas.

Oh, and let's add in everyone's wishlists too. :) Maybe if someone else has that book on your wishlist, and doesn't want/need it anymore, we can get some book swapping going on. I'm also hoping this will connect folks who might be looking for a review or a summary of a specific book, to those who have actually read it.

On my shelf - training books:

The Other End of the Leash
How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks
Control Unleashed
Help for Your Fearful Dog
101 Dog Tricks
Dog Language
On Talking Terms with Dogs
The Cautious Canine
Living with Wolfdogs
Wolfdogs 101
Click to Calm
Crate Games DVD
Mine! A Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs (...but my friend's resource guarder actually ate it :eek: )
Mush! Revised: A Beginner's Manual of Sled Dog Training
Training Lead Dogs
Dog Driver - A Guide for the Serious Musher

On my shelf - general/educational/not training related:

Shunka: Life with an Arctic Wolf
The Daily Coyote
Shadow Mountain: A Memoir of Wolves Returning to Yellowstone
Winterdance
Northern Breeds
The Siberian Husky

Wish List, or on order:

Field Guide: Dog First Aid Emegency Care for the Hunting, Working, and Outdoor Dog
Scaredy Dog! Understanding and Rehabilitating your Reactive Dog
When Pigs Fly
Above Reproach: A Guide for Wolfdog Owners
The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species
The Dogs Who Grew Me
Never Cry Wolf
Wolves at our Door
Hiking with Dogs: Becoming a Wilderness-Wise Dog Owner
Breed Rescue: How to Start and Run a Successful Program
Canine Play and its Relationship to Aggression DVD
Control Unleashed DVDs
Scaredy Dog! Seminar DVD
The Art and Science of Canine Behavior Assessments DVD

OK, that was a really really long list. But I did warn you - this IS titled "The BIG Dog Book Thread." ;)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Oh god, if I were to start listing all my dog books I'd never get any sleep tonight :rolleyes:. Being a young dog-loving kid with nothing else to spend my money on made for a lot of book collecting. Stripping it down to some of the favorites though -

I love pretty much anything by Stanley Coren. How to Speak Dog and The Intelligence of Dogs are two particularly good ones. His writing is extremely detailed but enjoyable at the same time. I definitely consider his books prime resources.

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson is another good one that I didn't see on your list (unless I missed it).

Before and After Getting Your Puppy is another by Ian Dunbar. I think you can actually get this online for free too...
First half (Before You Get Your Puppy) - http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE You Get Your Puppy.pdf
Second half (After You Get Your Puppy) - http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER You Get Your Puppy.pdf

Now, a few of my 'to read'/Wish list...

-The Dog Show: 125 Years of Westminster
-Woodsong
-Why We Love the Dogs We Do
-Greyhound Tales: True Stories of Rescue, Compassion, and Love

and currently on reserve for my at the library, waiting to be picked up -

-Honest Dogs: A Story of Triumph, and Regret from the World's Toughest Sled Dog Race
-War Dogs: A History of Loyalty and Heroism
-Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Deepening Our Relationship with Dogs
-Dog Talk: Lessons Learned from a Life with Dogs

My interests pretty much run the gambit, lol. I've definitely nabbed a handful of titles off your lists to add to mine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I can't remember most of them and my book shelf is downstairs... but I'll try and add more later...

Right now I'm reading... augh I'm going blank to the title... the subtitle on it is "an A-Z guide on dog behavior" and it's by Dr. Nick Dodman. I'm also somewhat reading a book called "War Dogs", I can't remember the author though and it's just a book that sits by the tub that I read when I'm in the bath. I've been having trouble getting into it.

The War Dogs of Vietnam was one I read recently... I can't remember the author but it was excellent.

With Love from Iraq is one on my "to read" list that's sitting downstairs...

Marley and Me was one of my faves, and another touching one like that was "Rescuing Sprit".

Ann Martin's book "Food Pets Die For" was an EXCELLENT read that I think every pet owner should have on their shelf.

Old Dogs is a cute book with lots of beautiful photographs and cute little one page stories that my friend got me for Christmas.

I honestly can't remember but I have a whole shelf downstairs full of dog books... I'll add more titles (and the authors I've forgotten) when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I only have a few

The Monks of New Skete puppy book. We decided not to use their methods...

Angel by My Side - a gift from the breeder who owns Toby's dam
Gray Dawn, by AP Terhune, another gift from the same woman. It's a must for any blue merle collie owner. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't have too many. No training books or anything really useful, lol.

I'm reading Memoirs of a Papillon: The Canine Guide to Living With Humans Without Going Mad

It's hilarious. It's not really about papillons, but about a papillon's life with her people. It's funny for all dog people but I think especially for toy dog people and anyone interested in papillons or who have shared their life with a papillon. They hit the breed quirks so well!

My other favorite is The Real Book of the Shetland Sheepdog. It's got lots of pedigrees and illustrated standard and breed history speculations. I found it in a used book shop for $7.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
My other favorite is The Real Book of the Shetland Sheepdog. It's got lots of pedigrees and illustrated standard and breed history speculations. I found it in a used book shop for $7.
Those are seriously the best finds. I got something similar at the local Half Price Bookstore for Sibes and it's just full of information. Old photos, pedigrees, history, etc. Used book stores can definitely be treasure troves for those willing to dig around in the shelves a bit.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I just wanted to bump this thread and ask if anyone has read The Behavioural Biology of Dogs, edited by P. Jensen. I was looking through the course syllabi of a canine cognition undergraduate course and the professor highly recommended this book (among Coren, McConnell, Coppinger and others). It looks a little bit heavy and science-y compared to things like Coren, but might be an interesting read nonetheless.

http://www.amazon.com/Behavioural-Biology-Dogs-Cabi-Publishing/dp/1845931874

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
This is what I have:

Bones Would Rain From The Sky by Suzanne Clothier - I really liked this book. It was pretty well written and really made me want to always be improving my relationship with my dogs.
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson (required reading for IAABC, I want to read all of their required books, I have 8 out the 21 they require)
For The Love Of A Dog by Patricia B. McConnell
The Other End Of The Leash by Patricia B. McConnell (required reading for IAABC)
Don't Shoot The Dog!: The New Art Of Teaching And Training by Karen Pryor (required reading for IAABC)
On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas - this was an interesting little book. I tried out some of the calming signals and the dogs did respond to them which was cool. I notice them a lot more now too.
Canine Body Language - A Photographic Guide by Brenda Aloff - (required reading for IAABC) - this is awesome. I recommend it to all dog owners. It has helped me a ton with reading their body language.
Getting In TTouch With Your Canine Friend (CD and book) by Linda Tellington-Jones - very cool, I use it on my dogs all the time, they love getting their massages.
Play Training Your Dog by Patricia Gail Burnham
Natural Dog Training by Kevin Behan
Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt - great book, lots of good exercises. I haven't done all of them but what I have done has helped Allie greatly. I need to actually go through and do them in order though.
Click To Calm: Healing The Aggressive Dog by Emma Parsons (required reading for IAABC) - I found this helpful with Allie.
Fight! A Practical Guide To The Treatment Of Dog-Dog Aggression (booklet) by Jean Donaldson (required reading for IAABC)
How To Be The Leader Of Your Pack And Have Your Dogs Love You For It (booklet) by Patricia B. McConnell (required reading for IAABC)
Feeling Outnumbered? How To Manage And Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household (booklet) by Karen B. London and Patricia B. McConnell - This had helpful tips about how to train the dogs to behave in groups, but a lot of seems to be common sense, to me anyway, like start with training one dog at a time.
Feisty Fido - Help For The Leash Aggressive Dog (booklet) by Karen B. London and Patricia B. McConnell (required reading for IAABC) - has some good tips in it, but I found other books more helpful.
So, You Want To Be A Dog Trainer by Nicole WIlde
Its Not The Dogs, Its The People! by Nicole WIlde
The Golden Bridge - A Guide To Assistance Dogs For Children Challenged By Autism Or Other Developmental Disabilities by Patty Dobbs Gross

my want list is huge, to long to put here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have too many to name, but here is the reason I came on here............... To promote a book!!!!!

I have only just started reading this book, but already I think it is a great one. It's called The Eternal Puppy I'm not sure of the authors but I believe they are DVM's. It is an informative book about senior dogs; care and problems. Like I said so far a great read.:D

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm reading Memoirs of a Papillon: The Canine Guide to Living With Humans Without Going Mad

It's hilarious. It's not really about papillons, but about a papillon's life with her people. It's funny for all dog people but I think especially for toy dog people and anyone interested in papillons or who have shared their life with a papillon. They hit the breed quirks so well!
I loved that book. Even my 12 year old brother loved it haha. I just saw on this website they are revising it and updating it. The new copy will be out May 5, 2009. http://www.gvieve.com/
There's also a second book I want, and I'm hoping that it will come out when the put out the new version of Memoirs of a Papillon: The Canine Guide to Living With Humans Without Going Mad.

We don't have any training books either. We do have 3 books on Australian Shepherds and a dog encyclopedia haha. Oh and a Papillon Magazine haha.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts

I LOVED that book! It gave me a good laugh.

I do not have many dog books, just

- The Dog Encyclopedia (or something like that... got it 5 years ago)
- Merle's Door. My all time favorite dog book.
- Where the Red Fern Grows (does that count? I count it :D)
- Ian Dunbar's Before and After Getting a Puppy
- German Shepherds for Dummies
- Dogs for Dummies (lost it)
- Marley and Me (gave it away to a friend)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think, for the sake of fulfilling this thread's purpose, let's discuss the books we have along with our opinions of them -- interesting/not, helpful/not. Otherwise it just becomes a long list of dog books.

I have/have read:

Marjorie Garber - Dog Love: I bought this at a used book sale and couldn't get through it. I didn't find it interesting at all.

Stanley Coren - How Dogs Think: This is an amazing book. In my top five, for sure. This was the first book I read that introduced me to concepts like behaviour capture, shaping and lure training. It also has really interesting chapters that I think would engage even people who don't own dogs, in which Coren discusses things like how dogs learn by mimicry, how they respond to music/television/different sounds.

Patricia McConnell - The Other End of the Leash: I enjoyed this book very much, too. I recommend this to all dog owners, whether they have puppies or adult dogs, whether they are new to raising dogs or not. It's a great refresher.

Michael and Teresa Banik Capuzzo - Our Best Friends: A compilation of Chicken-Soup-style stories about dogs. Quite touching.

Karen Pryor - Don't Shoot The Dog - Can get a little technical. I don't know if I would recommend this to people who are just getting into training. I would recommend it to someone who already knew the basics of operant conditioning, and who was looking into introducing a clicker.

Lucy Menzies - The First Friend: This is a history of the relationship between man and dogs. It can be a little heavy on the history part sometimes, but I still found it an enjoyable read. It talks about the origins of the dog, and how the first dog eventually became mastiffs, hounds and so on... and how those dogs became English Mastiffs, Beagles and so on. Quite interesting, but might be a little long.

Can't remember anymore, but I'll add them as I remember them...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Okay, I'm FINALLY using my own computer downstairs which is next to my bookshelf... all the books on my shelf are ones I've read or ones my parents had that are on my "someday when I have the time to read them" list. They those ones are oldschool books so I probably won't take anything from them, but am just curious.

(yes, my books are ordered by genre... :eek:)

The green ones are the ones I highly recommend either for information or the story.

All Dogs Need Some Training by Liz Palika
The new Encyclopedia of the DOG by Dr. Bruce Fogle
DOGS (another breed encyclopedia) by David Alderton
Guide to Owning a Mixed Breed by Charlotte Schwartz
Guide to Beginning Obedience by Dan Gentile, Jr.
Final Hope: Gaining Control of Your Aggressive Dog by Stephen J. Joubert
How to Speak Dog by Stanely Coren
The Koehler Method of Utility Dog Training by William R. Koehler
GRRR! The Complete Guide to Understanding and Preventing Aggressive Behavior in Dogs by Mordecai Siegal and Mathew "Uncle Matty" Margolis
Smarter Than You Think by Paul Loeb and Suzanne Hlavacek
Bonnie Bergin's Guide to Brinigng Out The Best in Your Dog by Bonnie Bergin with Robert Aquinas McNally
Introduction to Dog Agility by Margaret H. Bonham
Dogs: Breeding and Showing by Catherine G. Sutton
DOGS from A to Z: A Dictionary of Canine Terms by Dan Rice, DVM
The Pawprints of History: Dogs and the Course of Human Events by Stanley Coren
Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats: The Ultimate Diet by Kymythy R. Schultze, C.C.N, A.H.I.
Pit Bulls for Dummies by D. Caroline Coile, Ph.D.
BEAGLES by Beverly Pisano
American Staffordshire Terriers by Anna Katherine Nicholas
None Came Home: The War Dogs of Vietnam by Sgt. E. O'Donnell
Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections of the Emotional World of Dogs by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
Marley & Me by John Grogan
Why We Really Love Dogs by Kim Levin
Great Dog Stories: Inspirational Tales About Exceptional Dogs by Roxanne Willems Snopek
White Fang by Jack London (this is the one book in my collection that I've had since I was 5 years old and is completely THRASHED because my dad read it to me so much when I was little and then I've read it probably 4 or 5 times since then... it's a classic for a reason :p)
Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff
Call of the Wild by Jack London
The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto by Natalie Standiford (this one's a little kid book, but it's one I've never been able to retire from my shelf)
My Life with Dogs by Gayle Bunney
Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish by Mark R. Levin
The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat
A Dog Called Kitty by Farley Mowat

There's a few dog books spread around my house as well... a couple by the bath tub (War Dogs and Dogs Behaving Badly), and a few in my room on my "to read next" shelf that seems to be getting bigger rather than smaller :S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts