Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I disagree. But I'm admittedly not well informed about this kind of stuff.

Why would you train a small, hyper breed to do schutzhund when it isn't really suited to that kind of work? That seems very dangerous for people around the dog...and eventually for the dog because if he bites someone, he's dead.

Is it cute? Sure.

Is it smart? I don't think so.
Schutzhund is a sport like any other. The bite is the last thing you train not the first. Basic obedience is a must and OUT is trained well first too. Here is another excellent working dog. Please watch this video. NOTE the dog Drop in a second and redirect.
Porter was an amazing working dog. This is what the sport is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkTEnMJKG0

This dog stoped in mid "attack mode" and was able to redirect. This is not something that can happen with a dog that is in any way unstable.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Schutzhund is a sport like any other. The bite is the last thing you train not the first. Basic obedience is a must and OUT is trained well first too. Here is another excellent working dog. Please watch this video. NOTE the dog Drop in a second and redirect.

This dog stoped in mid "attack mode" and was able to redirect. This is not something that can happen with a dog that is in any way unstable.
That is an amazing amazing video Inga. Thanks for posting that. What an awesome amazingly trained dog.

It says tribute to him... did he pass away?
Nessa

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Wow, that video of Porter was fantastic and intense. What is so interesting to me is that I can watch the first video...and its cute and funny. The second video, and its not in any way funny...or cute. Its intimidating and intense. That is one unbelievable dog...with so much control. I find it interesting that they don't protect their hands or face, just goes to show how much they really trust the dog.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes Nessa he did pass away. I believe it was bloat but do not know for sure what caused his death. I just think people that think training a Schutzhund dog means turning a dog into a snarling maniac should see a truly well trained sport dog. That is not to say there are not fools out there that want to train protection in their backyards and basements and have no clue how to begin. Those people and their dogs ARE truly dangerous.
I just love that Porter video and have watched it many times. It gives me goosebumps to see a dog working so well and so happily. I LOVE IT! :d

Edit: Right mac the dogs are trained that the bite is for the sleeve only. During the completely unprotected attacks (helper not in protective garb) the dog is muzzled.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Yes Nessa he did pass away. I believe it was bloat but do not know for sure what caused his death. I just think people that think training a Schutzhund dog means turning a dog into a snarling maniac should see a truly well trained sport dog. That is not to say there are not fools out there that want to train protection in their backyards and basements and have no clue how to begin. Those people and their dogs ARE truly dangerous.
I just love that Porter video and have watched it many times. It gives me goosebumps to see a dog working so well and so happily. I LOVE IT! :d

Edit: Right mac the dogs are trained that the bite is for the sleeve only. During the completely unprotected attacks (helper not in protective garb) the dog is muzzled.
Totally with you on everything you have said here... ;)

And just watched it all the way through this time... Gosh... that dog is something else.
Do you know if they (K9 Handlers) will ever freeze semen or breed the best to the best? Does it work that way with police dogs? To keep the best of the best in the lines? Or do they go solely on training?
Nessa

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know that breeding has a lot to do with it but many different breeds compete. Some breeders freeze semen others do not. That is probably just an individual decision. As far as how to go about getting a dog that might be suitable for the sport I would contact breeders who's dogs have titled. The more titles the better. Talk to people that compete etc.... Just as you would if you were looking for a conformation dog or an agility dog etc...

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
I disagree. But I'm admittedly not well informed about this kind of stuff.

Why would you train a small, hyper breed to do schutzhund when it isn't really suited to that kind of work? That seems very dangerous for people around the dog...and eventually for the dog because if he bites someone, he's dead.

Is it cute? Sure.

Is it smart? I don't think so.

Schutzhund and other dog sports is not about aggression. Its about training. A sound dog trained in a dog sport, Sch, Ringsport, Mondio, etc is in many cases more stable than the average pet.

Aggression is not protection.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess I stand corrected. :D

·
Registered
7,761 Posts

That is an amazing dog and video...I can't imagine the dedication it took on the part of the dog and handler to perform at that level. Inspiring vid...thanks Inga

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is an amazing dog and video...I can't imagine the dedication it took on the part of the dog and handler to perform at that level. Inspiring vid...thanks Inga
Inspiring indeed! I see videos of dogs working at that level and I want to go out and work my dogs more. I lose motivation to fast though, I am lazy :D

Watching Porter gives me goosebumps every time. I love seeing dogs doing what they were bred and trained to do and doing it well. This dog trusts and worked so happily for his owner. It was an obvious labor of love training him.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts