Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW what a different pup she becomes with it on! I bought one today, put it on her and while I was even putting it on her she was so serious. She doesn't mind it at all and she looks so proud of herself with it on:p I plan on only putting in a light item on either side for now until she's older. There's only one thing, she thinks for some reason she can't sit when it's on her?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My dogs were the same way. They got very serious the first time I put the backpack on them. I don't know how old your dog is, but please go real slow with the weight. Mine wore it empty for a long time.

She'll probably eventually learn to sit with it on. I wouldn't worry about that. Do you give her a command to sit?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've had the exact same experience. Very serious, much more reserved, not apt to sit or lie down w/ it on. And let me tell you, I'm not sure how big your dog is, but after she gets used to it and you build up the weight, it's really a great tool when hiking.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Is a backpack a good idea for a puppy? I'd always heard you should wait until at least 12 months.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It is a good idea to wait at least 12 months before adding weight. That's why I said I didn't know how old the OP's dog is. Some dogs are "puppies" until they're 3 years old, some people refer to their dog as "pup" even though they're mature.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rufus 2 1/2 yr old GSD/Rotti 120+ lbs seems not to notice his 10 lbs at all. I think he is ready to increase the weight. Years ago I hiked with malamutes and they easily carried 25 lbs all day. Rufus seems at least as strong and doesn't show any signs of hip or back problems but he hasn't been tested and I probably won't because of the cost. Anybody know what that might be by the way?

I usually walk along a river 2 mi one way he has 5 or 6 places where he swims when he gets out of the river I don't know what the pack weighs? He is usually pretty frisky when he gets out and will tear around on his 20' long lead. the bank is about 3-4 ft. high and he leaps it easy.

I stopped using the pack after the first time he swam with it, I'm afraid of him getting hurt. He loves the water so I didn't want to stop that.

My gut feeling is that the weight of the wet pack is a problem? Guess I should weigh it. I'm kind of thinking out loud here but would like to hear from anyone with this experience.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there, she's a 13 month old Berner so I plan not to put anything in there much (maybe treats) for quite awhile, until she's 2 or so. I'm constantly worrying about her joints. I did give the command sit quite a few times and then she finally did.
What's really frustrating for me is my SO and my daughter don't seem to understand that these large breeds are so much more prone to joint problems:mad: They NEVER listen to me no matter how much I tell them, and of course they have never looked up anything on the breed either.
I'm happy though that she responded so well to it and I'll have to take her out for a walk with it on today:)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well, I think it's time you post pictures of this girl. I LOVE Berners! It's good that you're so conscienscious about her joints. I'm the same way with my Shepherds. My husband listens to me, though. LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the exact same experience with Ludo. I got a backpack for him to increase the amount of energy he expends while on his walks. The added benefit? It calms his butt down like nothing else.

Ludo gets really excited when people come over. Being part Husky, of course, he doesn't understand the concept of 'stranger'! Now, when people come over, I just put the backpack on him (no weight) and he is like another dog. Everyone comments on how controlled he is.

He also doesn't like to sit or lay down with it on. He wanders aimlessly or stands beside the people he would have been jumping all over!

A backpack has been a lifesafer both in his exercise and in his behavioral training.

·
Banned
352 Posts
Its not a backpack, but whenever my wife puts the Guide harness on her Guide, she gets all serious into "work mode", and is very concentrated on her job. I believe it is the same way with all breeds that were bred to "work"; the dog instinctively knows that when "dressed for work", playtime is over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts