Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new dog owner of a 12 week old king charles cavalier X poodle. We've had him for a week and things seem to be going ok. It helps that I am a teacher and I'm on Spring Break.

I've posted a bit in the newbie forum, but I thought I would post here since it seems to get a bit more traffic.

We've followed a lot of advice from Ian Dunbar's book. I think our dog is getting used to our place, and he is pretty comfortable in his crate since we have given him plenty of scheduled time in it. At night he doesn't make any noise until about 6am when he has to go pee.

I've kept an eye on him pretty much the whole time he's been out of his crate. I'm also a slave to the clock now, trying to time when he has to go to the bathroom. I take him outside regularly on a leash since we don't have an enclosed backyard, and when he eliminates he gets praise and a treat.

He's had few accidents inside, but I'm to blame for them as my timing / watching was off. You really do have to watch them EVERY second. It was frustrating because it feels like a couple of steps back, but from reading on the forums it seems like this is normal. I don't get angry with him, and take him outside after. (Is their any point to that?)

The one thing I'm a bit worried about is his socialization. He's met about a dozen people so far, and seems to be fine with them, but I haven't been able to get 100 people to meet him in a week like Dunbar recommends. He gets his final shot next week, and after that I'm hoping to take him to some puppy socializing / training classes.

Oh and we've been out once before for a few hours this week, we left him in his "caged" area (4ft x 4ft). He had some toys, his crate open, some water and a pee pad. He peed on the floor instead of the pad, but it was the kitchen so it was ok. I guess it would be hard for him to eliminate on the pad since he doesn't see it too often. I could train him to use it, but I don't want to confuse him with inside and outside training at the same time.

So from you dog owner veterans, does this seem like I'm doing the right things? Any other suggestions you could make, or any advice for a brand new dog owner? I really want to do the best for him and us.

thanks in advance! These forums have been great! :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't know about the 100 people thing . My pup hasn't met anywhere near that amount . But I make sure he comes out with me when I go out , I take him up trails , we walk around parking lots , on leash dog parks and he gets to see and experience a lot . My pups probably actually only met about 12 people and he is very comfortable with people and kids at this point . You just have to use your best judgment when you read books. And YES , you cant take your eyes off them for a SECOND when they are that age because guaranteed the split second you turn your head there will be a accident :D.

Sounds like your doing a good job so far . I think your right about the puppy pads too, you want him to know for SURE that it's outside , where the business goes . Aren't puppies FUN :D:D:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts