Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

The 2012 Dog

3K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Stitch 
#1 ·
Hey Ladies and Gents...

If you had too pick one dog breed to help you survive in a land of extremes. What dog breed would it be

Can you back your choice up with:

Advantages your dog has..
Hunting ability
Tracking
Protection from other predators
etc.

Disadvantages of your breed..your choice

And in the process give your opinon of your dogs superiority and basic differences between it and the (German shephard and rottweiler) my undecided choices.

Wish everyone Health and Happiness...Be civil with your response

#2 ·
Why pick 2012

Anyway this an odd choice

I'm not certain of 1 breed that would be best. It also depends on what "extremes".

I think Kangal would have good advantage. Can take cold/heat, live off practically nothing, endure harsh living condition. Not prey driven/hunter but can track and has good endurance. No problem dealing with predators. Is keen and alert, protective, independent and one tough dog. Domesticated breed but one who's survival depends on that of the fittest who's able to make it.

There are other breeds that come to mind too, but they might not have as much going for them.

Disadvantages would really have to think about that. Large size while it can be good might be bad in certain situations. Less biddability could also be a disadvantage, you might need it at times.

I can't really compare one breed superiority to another. I'd really have to know the situation, the extremes, ect.

Rottweilers are a nice breed but overall stamina if it is very high temps I don't believe is there.

I'm not sure how well GSD handle some predators if they had to engage. I think they'd do well with some and of course be alert to a threat and might only need to deter the wild animal.

Advantages of those
Both can be very good at tracking
GSD is biddable and quick learner
I don't think Rotts are dumb but not as biddable/more stubborn

I think the way of life of the Kangal gives them an overall advantage.

#4 · (Edited)
There's actually an episode of "The World Without Us" or whatever it's called on Nat Geo next week, I believe.

Obviously, the only breed to have in a post apacolyptic world is a blue ACD. :p

(All that said, if I was looking for a truely 'frontier' type of dog? I'd select on versatility and health above 'protection' credentials- something like a Canaan dog.)

Cait (who loves her some bad sci fi)

#7 ·
I would have one of the German hunting breeds, They have size but not oversized and were originally used to actually hunt large game and birds etc kinda a jack of all trades hunter types, Large enough to carry a pack and be protective. If fed properly can handle cold. I have always liked German breeds intelligence and working ability.

#8 ·
I saw the 2012 thing and my first thought is "someone is spending a LEEEETTLE too much time listening to late night Talk radio......" :p

I was thinking something along the lines of a GSD/Malinois cross tho I believe a good pit bull would work too.

The GSD is a great breed in and of itself, but I think an individual with a slightly shorter back and less angular hind leg (for galloping and jumping) might be structurally better at handling chase and pull down in hunting large game. They have a double coat so heat and cold can be tolerated tho extreme, prolonged heat would be a problem. The breed is highly trainable as is the Pit.

It is all moot tho since I suspect 2012 is going to pass much like Y2k did. Pretty much a non event.

#9 ·
Portuguese Podengo, medio or grande, preferably a handful of each (technically the same breed, different varieties and both can be born in the same litter). No question. They are fantastic all-around hunters, both by scent if necessary and by sight once prey has been spotted. They have the speed, agility and ability to bring down prey from rabbits to wild boar. They are a very hardy dog, tenacious, independent yet able and willing to work with a hunter and a pack of other podengos. They are tolerant of the heat and the cold. The gene pool hasn't been watered down and "pet-ified" so they are still perfectly functional in their home country as well as in this one (rabbit hunters in the NE are switching over from beagles b/c the podengo is superior in that function).

Betcha thought I'd say greyhound :p

#11 ·
Heh, I think I'm good to go.

Normally these things are typical tin foil hat stuff to me (Cassini, Y2K, 05-05-05...). But, about 12 years ago my mom told me about some of the legends/stories from her village in Panama, she's a native from the forest. That was enough for me to err on the side of caution. Still not a total apocalyptic survivalist, but we've got a few weeks of buffer. I know I can count on the sled heads for most everything from hunting to hauling. Bubba and Tambi have the watch/warning thing down, and you haven't seen funny until you watch a four pound dog pull a two pound bird right out of the air. The only thing left for us now is extensive strength and endurance training. Oh, the sled heads need barrels for liquor too. Now, if only I could find ammunition anywhere...

#12 ·
I'd have an adult stray over ANY pure breed dog to be with me in a post apocalyptic scenario.

I would take my dog Prudi for instance, a mixed breed that has hunter/tracker in her, but we found her in the streets 6 years ago.
GREAT hunter, GREAT tracker, and very stubborn, she is a small dog, so i don't know what she could be up to if she had to fight or protect me. But knowing her, she would get me away from trouble before it happened.

#14 ·
I love the Rottie, but I would have to choose a male Shepherd. I think they'd BOTH be great in 2012 as there aren't that many differences between their temperaments, so it would really be a personal preference choice.

Jaia hasn't shown a great ability for hunting (but 2 of my other dogs have) but his protection and tracking abilities are excellent! I also prefer a dog that is extremely loyal to its people, while being aloof to strangers.

The disadvantage would be any displastic issues, but finding a good breeder who does extensive medical testing solves most of that problem.

#18 ·
Papillon. :p

No seriously, I'd take some of the island dogs I've seen. Not too big, but tough for their size and pretty darn good at caring for themselves. They're very moderately built and athletic. Most aren't too cuddly but are more than willing to hang with people so long as it benefits them too.

Reactions: strawbrykiwicake
#19 ·
Remember: in case of apocalypse, smaller = better. Same nose, same ears, but much, much smaller food consumption. The question is, do you go for stealth (silent tracking), or alertness (guarding the perimeter)?

Sadly, unless the zombies are allergic to dog saliva, my Dilly-Dally's deadly face-lick of deadly death really won't enhance my survival much.

#29 ·
Remember: in case of apocalypse, smaller = better. Same nose, same ears, but much, much smaller food consumption. The question is, do you go for stealth (silent tracking), or alertness (guarding the perimeter)?
No size doesn't matter it depends on the breed need and then that dog. Some bigger dogs can survive off the same as what some smaller dogs need.

#20 ·
I think I'd choose a not quite purebred Siberian Husky, like my Sandy, provided this harsh new world is a cold one. She can pull, track, hunt, defend, but she's also a darn good cuddler on a cold night. Her mutt status earns her a few higher points in the health department, than say a GSD, but a GSD wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Be that as it may, the Maya believe that this world as we know it will end...perhaps a better one will take it's place. They believe the "world" has already ended several times.
Maybe in the "New world" the dogs will rule and we'll be the pets!

#21 ·
This thread has me ROFLMAO..

Harisse.. I will bring the ammo.. Yes. I will. Can Do.

BUT only if you promise to have the Sled Heads show up with the Liquor.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/search/?query=2012
They really do walk among us.... even on the DF....

Next will be an update on the Illuminati and the Shadow People.... and what dogs would be best to locate and alert to either or both....

#37 ·
Next will be an update on the Illuminati and the Shadow People.... and what dogs would be best to locate and alert to either or both....
I already have my dog trained to do semaphore with his ears to alert me to Greys, Reptilians and other aliens. So, I'm good.

#22 ·
I think I understand this to mean that you want to know what would be the ultimate survivor dog?

Hrmm...IMHO it would depend on what the end of the world brings. If you have a freezing cold apocolypse, then probably the alaskan husky would be a good survivor.

If it's extremely hot, probably a saluki or something very like a saluki would be the way to go.

Or are you asking what could protect you during the apocolypse? I'd have to say that no dog would be fierce enough to save you from the end of the world. :D I kid I kid.

You would probably want a very versatile, medium sized dog that still had its instincts intact. My bet would be on a patterdale terrier or mix! Those are tough little dogs!

#23 · (Edited)
If you had too pick one dog breed to help you survive in a land of extremes. What dog breed would it be

Can you back your choice up with:

Advantages your dog has..
Hunting ability
Tracking
Protection from other predators
etc.

Disadvantages of your breed..your choice

Why, the Beagle, of course :cool:

As for advantages ... one must never underestimate the tenacity of the Beagle! My first Beagle was a pure patch hound, she was commonly mistaken for a pit mix she was so aggro when the need arose. Patch hounds are oversized, she was about 35lbs, so just large enough to be a deterrent or to inflict damage if need be. On that note, the jaw strength of a Beagle is tremendous for their size. Do not scoff at a Beagle as a guard dog! lol Seriously, though, Beagles will naturally attack predators, both human and animal.
Of course, hunting/tracking ability, patience, desire is quite high in the breed. You'll never starve with a Beagle because they are versatile - most will naturally hunt anything if hare/rabbits are unavailable. They can efficiently hunt any small game incliding squirrel, game birds, deer ... Save for large game (obviously) you do not need a firearm. A good hunting Beagle is "run to catch" and many of them either do it naturally or can be trained to retrieve.
Beagles have the added advantage of not needing to be trained for their work. Save for coonhounds, they are one of the only breeds that need experience, not training, to be proficient @ their work.

As for the disadvantages, the only one I can think of would be size. The full 15" and oversized hounds would be the best in this doomsday type survivalist scenario but personally speaking I have several that average 14-19lbs!!! That being said, you don't mess with my 19 lb little male who WILL take on anything 3x his size. He will not back down, and he is powerfully built. His sister can probably bench press a deer. She can pull 9000lbs *without* rails so watch out! All I can say is this dog is normally mild mannered but I wouldn't want to get on his $*** list ;) So really, size might not be that big of a disadvantage, if you had a pack of Beagles! It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

So yeah, no disadvantages, all positives to Beagles as a survivalist dog. I'm really not biased. They are, lol :D

ETA: They are easy keepers as well, so a little food will go a long way. It would be doable to keep a pack even on limited food resources ...

And in the process give your opinon of your dogs superiority and basic differences between it and the (German shephard and rottweiler) my undecided choices.

I have owned both breeds, albeit we only had the Rottie for less than a year. Nice dog, would be well suited as a survivalist dog because obviously they are ideal guard dogs, can also be used as carting dogs. The GSD is naturally loyal to the owner. My experience with them has shown that they are so naturally intelligent they pick up on what you want without training. Don't underestimate how much of a bonus having a dog like that can be. Generally, though, they are not strong or hardy dogs and might not be able to withstand harsh conditions where food is limited. The Rottie is not as intelligent and more likely to be dominant aggro to the owner than a well bred GSD. A true Shepherd will do anything for you. But again, the hardiness factor is there for the Rotts, so if I had to choose with my head I would do a Rott. But I like GSDs better, lol.

#24 ·
It's funny, but when I saw '2012', my first thought was the Olympics. That's why I was so confused - I was wondering if herding of agility were being added as exhibition events.

#26 ·
Now,dont get me wrong here;), but didn't the Chihuahua come to be as a self-transporting food source, also cabable of sounding an alert against intruders, AND cleaning up the camp garbage? Hmmmmm.
Just kidding, I've recently learned to love the little things,I've always been a big dog person. Anybody got hot sauce?

#31 ·
I'm sensing a pattern here
1. Sled dogger pushing sled dogs
2. Beagle person pushing Beagles
3. Pitt operator pushing Pitts
4. GSD person pushing GSDs
5. and last but not least GSP handler and owner of GWP pushing German breed hunting dogs, at least I tried to fool everybody.

#32 ·
Well, you guys can have those Beagles, Pits, and GSDs. Meanwhile the sled heads, Bubba, Tambi and I will be hundreds of miles away in search of safety (and more booze). I don't think most Saints have the endurance of my guy, and I don't look forward to starting over with all of this conditioning. At least he'll make it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.