Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi there my name is Marie M. I'm 23 years old... I'm from Massachuttes. I'm married to a WONDERFUL man named Adam & we have a great dog named Mackenzie. Adam is in Iraq right now serviceing his country & I am DARN PROUD of him. Adam is in the Us Army! Adam & I have been married 3 years in July! Adam won't be home for our anniversary! I have been having some issues with some of here behavors & I wanted to know if anyone could help me before Adam got home? Mack SCREAMS/YULPS at tv when Law & Order, CSI, Grace Under Fire or certian other music comes on. She barks & kind of hides behind me if we are walking & a stranger comes up to us, she is food and treat agressive around other dogs, around their food or her own, & the same with treats.. & the last thing she does that I would love to change is she wines a lot if she sees something or someone out side that she wants to get at. Mack is almost 2 years old. She is a Cocker Spaniel. She knows how to sit, stay, speak, lay down, get out of the kichen, dance, high 5 , high 10 and we are working on roll over.
I would like to change or make progress on these things before adam gets home this fall. Not that I will you know but I think if I could Adam & Mack would get along better & he (Adam) wouldn't want me to get rid of her (Mackie) so much. So if you guys out there have any ideas please let me know. I have tried a few different things but it seems that what I am doing just renfources her BAD habits. SO PLEASE HELP ME!! Thank you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i really dont know what to tell you about your dog problems, but my sisters boyfriend is in iraq too.they are getting married when he get back next spring.he just got to iraq like a few weeks ago. so be praying for him.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As far as yelping at certain music, it could be that the notes in the music are hurting her ears. Dogs can hear things alot higher pitched than humans and their ears can be really sensitive - that's why dogs don't like to have people blow in their ears. It actually causes them pain because of the sound. She could also have an ear infection which is making her extremely sensitive.

If she already knows speak, then you shouldn't have any problems teaching her "quiet" or "shush". When she starts to whine at people outside, I'd try telling her 'quiet' and then praise her/treat her when she's quiet, telling her "good quiet".

It's not uncommon for her to be scared of strangers, and she is looking to you as her mommy to protect from what she sees as a threat. As soon as you see someone coming towards you, I'd stop and have her sit - keep her concentration on you instead of the other person.

Has she ever been to dog school? Even though she already knows her sit, stay and things like that - dog school is a great way to keep your dog socialized, which also might help with the resource aggression.

And I hope your husband comes home safe and sound. It's awesome that he's over there fighting for our country. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
mmaynard26july03 said:
:) Hi there my name is Marie M. I'm 23 years old... I'm from Massachuttes. I'm married to a WONDERFUL man named Adam & we have a great dog named Mackenzie. Adam is in Iraq right now serviceing his country & I am DARN PROUD of him. Adam is in the Us Army! Adam & I have been married 3 years in July! Adam won't be home for our anniversary! I have been having some issues with some of here behavors & I wanted to know if anyone could help me before Adam got home? Mack SCREAMS/YULPS at tv when Law & Order, CSI, Grace Under Fire or certian other music comes on. She barks & kind of hides behind me if we are walking & a stranger comes up to us, she is food and treat agressive around other dogs, around their food or her own, & the same with treats.. & the last thing she does that I would love to change is she wines a lot if she sees something or someone out side that she wants to get at. Mack is almost 2 years old. She is a Cocker Spaniel. She knows how to sit, stay, speak, lay down, get out of the kichen, dance, high 5 , high 10 and we are working on roll over.
I would like to change or make progress on these things before adam gets home this fall. Not that I will you know but I think if I could Adam & Mack would get along better & he (Adam) wouldn't want me to get rid of her (Mackie) so much. So if you guys out there have any ideas please let me know. I have tried a few different things but it seems that what I am doing just renfources her BAD habits. SO PLEASE HELP ME!! Thank you.
when will adam be back home?

Attachments

·
Banned
84 Posts
mmaynard26july03 said:

she needs school, to do controlled commandes around other dogs.

there is a ton of stuff you need to know on how to correct that behavior.

pm me

·
Registered
237 Posts
obedience classes does help.im take both of my girlz there. in two weeks the obedience classes start for me. its on thursdays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts