Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love being blamed for irresponsible owners.

I pick up Kabota's poop every time. Usually, I know when he's going to poop, and I walk him somewhere where he won't be pooping on someone's lawn, but sometimes that's not possible. (Lately, I've been seeing a huge dog roaming the dike unattended, and I don't know if he's friendly or not, but I'm not too inclined to find out.) Once, I forgot to bring a bag, so I dropped Kabota off at home and ran back out to pick up after him. I don't just leave his poop places.

Last night as we were walking by, a woman comes running out of her house to yell at me about my dog's poop. (Not the word she used.) I pointed out that my dog had not pooped on her yard, then I pulled out a bag and said that if he had, I would have picked it up. She points at a pile of white poop and says "What's that, then?"

There are, literally, 6 dogs on that block alone. There are over 50 in a 2 block radius from that house. 50 dogs within easy walking distance of her house, but of course any and all random poop must be mine. Uh huh.

What I really don't get is, I've seen this white poop all over. White poop is caused by the excess phosphorus and calcium in a raw, meaty bone diet. What person goes to all the trouble of feeding their dog a raw diet and doesn't clean up after them? And why do I have to be blamed for that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put it in a bag on there doorstep and light it on fire......just kidding.

As a new dog owner I am very vigilant in picking up my dogs poops. I have a feeling at some point I am going to get blamed (or worse poop thrown at my house) for someone who did not pick up after there dog since I am the new guy on the block and it pisses me off. The important thing is that you know your doing your part, and do not let some crazy neighbor put you down over it. Sooner or later the violator will be caught and the lady will feel bad for putting the blame on you. Who knows, maybe she will get your friend a new toy.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Some people just hate the idea of a dog "going" on their lawn. I always pick up after Pete and its totally reasonable to expect people to pick up after themselves. Also, I'd be mad if I kept finding "piles" outside my house but that said, I've seen people rant and rave about how no dog ever should be peeing on their sainted grass. Maybe your neighbour is one of those people.... the lawn nazis. If I know its a problem I'll respect their wishes and their property, but I think its kindof weird. Its grass... don't you think raccoons pee on it all the time? Sometimes if people are mad enough any dog owner will be made a scapegoat for all dog owners.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I love being blamed for irresponsible owners.

I pick up Kabota's poop every time. Usually, I know when he's going to poop, and I walk him somewhere where he won't be pooping on someone's lawn, but sometimes that's not possible. (Lately, I've been seeing a huge dog roaming the dike unattended, and I don't know if he's friendly or not, but I'm not too inclined to find out.) Once, I forgot to bring a bag, so I dropped Kabota off at home and ran back out to pick up after him. I don't just leave his poop places.

Last night as we were walking by, a woman comes running out of her house to yell at me about my dog's poop. (Not the word she used.) I pointed out that my dog had not pooped on her yard, then I pulled out a bag and said that if he had, I would have picked it up. She points at a pile of white poop and says "What's that, then?"

There are, literally, 6 dogs on that block alone. There are over 50 in a 2 block radius from that house. 50 dogs within easy walking distance of her house, but of course any and all random poop must be mine. Uh huh.

What I really don't get is, I've seen this white poop all over. White poop is caused by the excess phosphorus and calcium in a raw, meaty bone diet. What person goes to all the trouble of feeding their dog a raw diet and doesn't clean up after them? And why do I have to be blamed for that?
Although its common for raw fed dogs to have lighter-colored poop, I see white poop often from kibble/or canned fed dogs too. My dogs are fed a raw, boney meal and their poop isn't always white. There are plenty of wild coyotes in my neighborhood who prey on a lot of the rabbits, rodents, etc in my neighborhood, you see their poop all over the place and it isn't always white, either. So I wouldn't be too quick to blame that this is in fact, the doing of a raw feeder. Not saying that it isn't, but lets not point any fingers without any solid proof. I do notice that if I feed a very raw, boney chicken meal, that the poop is a very light color, a creamy color almost, but other than that it is brownish color usually, but the poop never really is 'white', until its sat for a while then it starts to go whiter.

It is unfortunate that you are blamed for someones irresponsible actions, though. Raw feeder or not, everyone should pick up after their dog. If its seen everywhere is it possible it could be a stray dog? Do you ever notice stray dogs in your nieghborhood?
Raw feeders especially should be more cautious of picking up poop due to the risk of salmonella, you never who or what could come into contact with it, if it was from an infected dog. Of course I always pick up my dogs poop on walks and what not but I actually rarely have to pick up poo in my backyard, only when I know there's fresh ones out there and i need to mow the lawn or people are coming over.. the poop, white or not, quickly turns into dust and ends up just fertilizing my lawn lol. The grass in my backyard grows like crazy compared to the front, but brings me to another point that usually raw fed dog poop doesn't last very long, atleast mine doesn't. One dropping is completely disintegrated within a few days - I'm not sure if that's the case with every dog or not who eats raw but I'd question that if I was seeing the same pile day in and day out if it were actually the doing of a raw feeder or not, but just my thoughts.

Hopefully the nieghborhood culprit will be caught, so you are no further to be blamed :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts