Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats how I feel right now. I want to become a dog groomer, and I have talked to several on FB. They keep telling me that I would be better off to try an learn under some one, but I can't find any one willing to do it. I've even had one lady tell me off, and was rather rude. So I'm just going to go with what I really don't want to do, and take out a loan and go to school.

Does any one know any thing about these schools?

This is one in Tampa FL (an hour from me) Seems like a good school, I have been to the building but not inside, because they were closed that day.

http://www.tbapetgroomingacademy.com/getstarted/get-started.aspx

This school is in Winter Park FL (about an 1 1/2 - 2 hours from me) and has the option of doing only sat. classes, so I can work at the same time. They seem like a beter program in the long run, but costs so much more, but I think I will have a beter chance at a job with this school, and I will learn so much more.

http://www.myfiaa.com/

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think this might be one of the industries where your experience matters more than formal education. Neither of these are "accredited" so I'm just not seeing the value. Are they going to help you with job placement when you "graduate"? I would ask other groomers in the area if and where they went to school, but I'd be willing to bet many of them just apprenticed.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this might be one of the industries where your experience matters more than formal education. Neither of these are "accredited" so I'm just not seeing the value. Are they going to help you with job placement when you "graduate"? I would ask other groomers in the area if and where they went to school, but I'd be willing to bet many of them just apprenticed.
The one in Winter park is accredited.

If you read my post you would see that I can't apprentice, because no one will do it. I've gone every where/called/e-mailed every groomer with in a 2 hour drive from me. No one will do it, and no one wants to even talk to me. One lady told me "Go back to school, there is no room in the dog grooming world for you. The door is over there." All I asked was if she would be willing to take on an apprentice. Right now the economy here is so bad, that I can't even get a job at walmart.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Apologies, I stand corrected re: accreditation.

It sounds to me like the lady saying, "Go back to school, there is no room in the dog grooming world for you." doesn't mean go to dog grooming school. It sounds like she doesn't want any more competition. I guess if you want to go back to school definitely go to the accredited one, but also know that having a degree in dog grooming is no guarantee you'll get a job when you graduate. You said it yourself: the economy is really bad in Florida. IMO dog grooming is one of those things you can eliminate when things aren't going so well and/or money is tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dog grooming is what I've wanted to do since I was younger, so I'm not going listen to the rude lady.

I know there is jobs in my area, but they want some one trained already, and they don't want to be the one to do it. There is actualy a position open in my favorite place right now, but I'm not trained yet.

It's not really that FL is bad, it's my area. I live in the county with the highest unemployment rate. My neighbor has a PHD and can't get a job any where, because no one is hiring. Once I'm done with school, I'll go where I have to, to get a job.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you go to a store like PetsMart or to a Vet clinic and learn on the job?
Actualy the first place I went was Petsmart and Petco, because you can start as a bather, and if they like you, they pay for you to go to school! They aren't hiring, and when they were, the aplication prosses is online. I filled both out, and the next week I went in and talkied the the manager at Petco. They never got my application, I had the same problem with another online app. I think it's an auto filter or some thing.

Vets are not hiring unless you are already trained. I have already asked.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Maybe you can go back online... and screen print the applications, then carry it in... naively ignoring the online filters :)

It might show initiative.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
True, I also have hopes of doing something with animals (canine behavorist) but that is in the future, we'll see.

I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe you can go back online... and screen print the applications, then carry it in... naively ignoring the online filters :)

It might show initiative.

They have it set up, so you can't do that. It's like 1000 questions 1 screen at a time. I have brought in my resume (please ignore all bad spelling, my spell check is broke, and I need glasses, so my dislexia is worse than usual.)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I also feel you, I have this burning desire to be a canine behavorist but there just isn't enough money or time right now for school so alas I have to wait... I feel your pain though.

Which colleges do you guys recomend? I was looking at Bel-Ray (spelling???) institute or the 'Animal bahavior college' but which are accredited, I want to go to an accredited one.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also feel you, I have this burning desire to be a canine behavorist but there just isn't enough money or time right now for school so alas I have to wait... I feel your pain though.

Which colleges do you guys recomend? I was looking at Bel-Ray (spelling???) institute or the 'Animal bahavior college' but which are accredited, I want to go to an accredited one.
From what I've seen, Bel-ray is a better school. The other is that online school ABC? Right? I feel like that could be sorta scamish. But I really don't know much about either. Have you tried to find some one local to train you? Thats where I tried to start, but couldn't find any one here. You might find some one, you never know till you try!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tough situation here. I can empathize with both sides.

If I put myself into the shoes of a working groomer, and some stranger came into my shop and asked me to apprentice them....what motivation do I have to do such a thing? What's in it for me? For all I know, I could teach you everything there is to know about grooming, receiving no compensation for my efforts, and then you could open a shop right across the street from me and start stealing my business. You have to look at this from their point of view. It sounds like the lady you quoted had that exact mentality, and quite frankly it's understandable.

The way I see it, there are likely two options for getting some kind of apprenticeship:

Option #1 - Those who have some kind of pre-existing relationship with a groomer. Relative, friend, fellow church member, whatever. Basically, this is someone who would be willing to give you this type of apprenticeship as a personal favor, and who would naturally trust you enough to not be afraid of you stealing customers from them.

Option #2 - You need to come up with some tangible reasons why a groomer should spend their time training you. There needs to be something in it for them. Once you've figured out what they stand to gain by training you, then you become a salesman and start selling selling yourself to these prospective teachers. You need to convince them that apprenticing you is in THEIR best interest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts