Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered the ultimate in rewards for Rocky today.

We've been having a problem this winter with him wanting to stop and sniff at EVERY yellow snow spot on our walks. Considering we cover 10ish miles every day, this can be a difficult problem. He doesn't just stop and then come along when I call for him, he plants and doesn't move til he's ready.

I let it go on for too long getting really frustrated. Finally, I had a breakthrough in thought process:

One day last week, I had a ton of work to do one evening, so we didn't train with Rocky's evening kibble like normal. I just plopped it in the bowl and went back to work. About an hour later, I realized that he had been being very quiet... and I got suspicious. I slowly crept through the house, expecting to find him doing something really really bad. What did I find? He was in a down stay about 12 inches from his food, staring at it. A humongous puddle of drool had formed under his face! As soon as I saw him I released him from his stay and he chowed down!

Now, what significance does this play to our walk? I had long ago claimed all food as mine. I make him down stay and wait for any leftovers in my bowl. i make him down stay for his bowl of kibble. All food belongs to me. Period.

I now own all yellow snow.

For the last week or so, every time Rocky stops to sniff a yellow spot, I step into it, block his path, and make him do some obedience for it. When I'm satisfied, I click and release, and he gets to sniff to his heart's content. The frequency of him going to sniff without my permission is steadily dropping. He's probably about 70% of the way there now, after only one week.

This is one of the moments where I'm kicking myself thinking "Why didn't I think of this 2 months ago when the snow started?"

C'est la vie!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same way TJ did with the yellow snow. Step in between her and it. I tried it out on our walk and it appears to be successful.

My dog is a doggy sort of dog lol...she is really gross.

Might try it with the roadkill too...
The way I see it, it's just another extension of NILIF. All good things belong to me. You can have them, but not for free.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
yep.

so far I've done spit, trash, cat food, bathwater and and dirty old clothes as rewards...why not poop? :D
Should work just as well.

If poop fiend Wally can get it - any dog can. :D

Ah...resource control - perhaps my favorite training weapon!

He was in a down stay about 12 inches from his food, staring at it. A humongous puddle of drool had formed under his face! As soon as I saw him I released him from his stay and he chowed down!
Hahaha, that's awesome!

If I did that too Wally, he'd be sitting about 3 inches from it shaking (in anticipation I guess).

Either that or he'd just curl up and go to sleep right there. Some determination on your dog! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts