Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the park today. Had a nice time walking around the soccer and baseball fields, watching the kids play, doing a little distraction training with Poca. Everything went really well. Poca was responsive and we had fun watching her roll in stinky stuff.

Then we were on the way back to the car and were passing by a family heading to the soccer field with their dog. It was about a 35-40 lb mixed breed, looked to be a beagle/lab mix. It was pulling on its leash and barking like mad at Poca who was walking at my side and whining a bit because she wanted to go say hello. I didn't like the look of the other dog so we veered away. Then the owner of the other dog said, "You don't want that dog. That dog could eat you - he's much bigger!"

Huh? I wanted to say, "Lady, the only way my big black dog would eat yours is if he was made of peanut butter. Even then she would just lick him to death." But we just kept walking.

No big deal. Just surprised to hear a comment like that when my dog was so obviously the better behaved dog in this situation.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It might not have been meant the way you took it.

My parent's JRT can be, well a JRT. She's normally well behaved but can get herself in a huff once in awhile and will start antagonizing the other 3 dogs, all of whom are MUCH bigger than her. In fact my 10 week old pup is bigger than she is, lol.

We'll frequently joke that she's going to get eaten and it's not a reference at the bigger dogs being aggressive. It's more commenting that the JRT is being so obnoxious it would serve her right if she got eaten (all a joke obviously). In fact, just tonight she was getting annoyed at the pup stealing her toys and gave her a warning growl. Pup learned some manners and the JRT got to keep one of her toys so no harm no foul. I did comment though that she better cement her place now before the pup is big enough to eat her.

They very well might have been commenting on how obnoxious their dog was behaving and not on a worry that your dog is aggressive.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'll say things like that if I'm walking a small dog that thinks he's tough. I doubt they meant anything against Poca by it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've actually gotten that same comment a few times. I wouldn't really take it seriously, my interpretation of it(at least when the people had said it to me, every situation is different I guess) is that they were kinda commenting on their own dog's behavior/ego in wanting to go after a bigger dog, in a sorta joking/making-fun-of-their-own-dog manor.

Just my interpretation.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Oh crap. Now I wonder if I've offended people. Jonas is only 10 lbs, and he can be a nasty little guy on occasion, and I'll make a comment like that jokingly to owners with their nice, big dogs and follow it up with an apology for his behavior. It's more directed to Jonas in a "don't harass something that COULD eat you if it wasn't so well behaved and tolerable of your dumb butt."

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I hear it all the time...

The FUNNIEST TIME was when I got brave and decided to take Callahan jogging with me around my neighborhood, and we passed by this house that has a TINY black and tan Chi. Well that thing came RUNNING out of the yard baring teeth, and barking and snapping and all... and well before this... when we werent spotted yet, I see his owner talking to him... like carrying on a conversation and what not (In spanish). It was soo cute, you could tell the man really loved his Chi.

Well when the dog ran out to us, and the owner saw me with CALLAHAN! :eek: LOL! The old man was like "Vente! Vente! Pinche Pendejo! Andale!" (In english... Come here! Come here! You F**king Dumba$$ HURRY!) With a terrified look on his face and a terrified tone of voice! Sigh teehee

Teeeheeeeeheeeee! I thought it was SOOO FREAKING FUNNY! I ROFLed so hard! I thought the man was going to crap himself! The look on his face and the tone of his voice when calling back the little "brave or cookoo Chi"!

Sigh... it really doesnt bother me or offend me I guess. What sets me aback is when people tell ME... "ARENT YOU AFRAID HE'S GOING TO EAT YOU?! HE'S 100X BIGGER THAN YOU!" They seriously ask me that... gosh what dumba$$es.
Nessa

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
I say that to Zeke all the time: "Don't torment your big brother. He could swallow you whole."

Sometimes people make silly comments like that to cover up their embarrassment at their own dogs behavior. I encountered an Irish wolfhound (probably the first I'd ever seen) while walking my normally friendly black lab and my lab went nuts. I'm pretty sure I said something like, "Are you frickin' nuts? He's bigger than both of us put together!"

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is a small white poodle who lives a few doors down and they know that our Lady does not like small dogs (she is a bit DA) so when their dog wants to come play with Lady, her owner always says no leave her alone or one day she will eat you. We all laugh over it. I guess its the way that its said. I tell Andromeda when she runs from dogs mainly really small dogs that she shouldnt be afraid of them cause she can eat them. Its meant as a joke and nothing more.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This happens to me all the time, but opposite. At the Memorial Day parade, a Great Dane was next to us. Chloe had a ball, she actually prefers the company of big dogs. I don't have an issue with it at all. People were walking by saying "that horse is going to swallow your dog whole!", etc. So obnoxious. After their initial greetings, they both kinda just sat and chilled.

In the pet stores, it's been worse. People with big dogs won't let Chloe greet them as "he'll eat her", "if he steps on her she's a goner"... those are ver batum. So weird. I try to socialize her the best I can but have been told the strangest things as to why I shouldn't or can't. I don't want my dog to be afraid of big dogs, but it's hard when people say those things - they totally put me off.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yeah, I probably would have said the same thing to Donatello about Poca too, if Poca looked like a "Pit Bull"! : P

Donatello likes to lunge, bark, snap, snarl and make a fuss every time he sees a "Pit Bull" or any dog that looks like one, and I always try to smile and pull him in, "Donatello, he could eat you for lunch and still be hungry, knock it off!" lol!

He is getting better about it, but I wouldn't trust either dog in a situation have I not under control.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sometimes people make silly comments like that to cover up their embarrassment at their own dogs behavior.
Exactly. I've heard it so many times and Rosco's not even that big. One lady sticks out in my mind. She has some little yappy dog and she just smiles and waves while saying "That dog doesn't want to play with YOU". I know what she's really getting at.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Get it all the time.. but it happens with people most of the time ''No honey! don't tease the ''wolf'' it may eat you!'' :p

But when i'm with prudi they often say ''No! take her away, my dog might eat her'' saddly, they say it seriously:(

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think the comment was more for his/her own humor. I find myself making comments like that as well because sometimes Hunter will "gaurd the yard" and bark at people. I'll tell him to stop and sometimes make a comment of, "Stop acting tough, my grandmother could beat you up." Of course, Hunter takes no offense.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I say that to people with huge dogs - I don't mean that their dog is vicious but just that my dog is small in comparison and she's the one who is usually acting like an idiot, barking and trying to antagonize the dog. She just wants to play but she doesn't "ask nicely" so to speak. And it's more of a comment about the size comparison - it's actually quite cute to see my dog next to a mastiff. I find that larger dogs are more docile and calmer and small dogs feel they need to prove themselves or something.

However, I guess I will have to be a little more discreet in who I say that to.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
LOL If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I would be rich. :) It is usually a poorly behaved little dog on the end of the other persons leash so maybe RonE is right. Maybe they are just embarrassed about their dogs behavior.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
LOL If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I would be rich. :) It is usually a poorly behaved little dog on the end of the other persons leash so maybe RonE is right. Maybe they are just embarrassed about their dogs behavior.
As the owner of an extremely reactive dog, it is all from embarrassment. We've been working with Smalls, but if a person comes up with their dog I didn't see first, she'll go off her nut. I can get her under control quickly and easily, but it's still horribly embarrassing when she lets out her hound dog scream and looks like she wants to kill the other dog. She just wants to play. :eek:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Interestingly enough, I heard that (or something similar) this evening while out at a bar/restaurant that allows dogs.

I had my Rottweiler, Clyde, with me. There was a table of younger folks with a young cocker spaniel puppy that was whining to get to Clyde and play. I had Clyde in a down/stay, but he did glance in the puppy's direction. The woman was like, "oh no! he'll eat you for dinner!" I rolled my eyes and went back to my delicious grilled grouper sandwich, then glanced down at my dog... who was laying quietly while the wait staff stepped over him to get to their tables. :rolleyes:

It gets annoying sometimes, but I do think most people say stuff like that because they see just HOW good my BIG boy is. I love my dog(s)!! :D:D

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To all: Thanks for the perspective. I think you're right - I think the woman was just making a humorous point to her dog that he should be better behaved. I really wasn't offended. Just surprised at the comment since it seemed so out of left field given the relative behaviors of the two dogs.

I tend to forget, too, how big Poca is. She only weighs about 65 lbs but she's pretty tall which makes her seem bigger. I'm so used to her that she seems small to me.

Now if I saw, say, a Great Dane, well then, I'm pretty sure he would eat me and my little dog, too!! (Nessa - you must get a ton of comments, "he's gonna eat you!" being the mildest, I'm sure. Poca and I probably go too far in the other direction, lol. We both assume any dane we meet is just a big love bug. I've never been disappointed yet. We do ask before approaching, but we're always both so excited to see one. Poca goes esp. nuts for them. Not sure what she's thinking but has to be something along the lines of "ohmygodisthatadogallformememebringiton!!!!!!"

·
Registered
643 Posts
I actually get that comment about my own dogs. There's this dumb woman around the corner that always asks if Cerbie eats the dachshunds. Every time I walk by. I'd never answered her til the other day, when I finally said "yes, he does, I breed the Dachshunds, and I'm always walking different ones bc he eats them. He has expensive taste." But Cerb's not even that big, he's 40lbs at most.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, it's more of just a comment that your dog is much bigger and the smaller dog would be stupid to want to start trouble. I say it with my two small ones all the time. They'll be at the front door and see a dog being walked on the street. From the house, the dog on the street looks small and they bark and growl but, if they were allowed to "go after" the bigger dog, they'd wind up running the other way! They'll growl at deer in the backyard too. I say the same thing "that deer could eat you" It's an expression and nothing more.

Our 5 pound toy poodle once encountered a 200+ pound short haired St. Bernard (I think that's what the owner said it was) and they both sniffed each other and nothing more. I stopped and spoke with the owner for a while (the guy was probably 5' 7" or so and couldn't have weighed more than 160 pounds... talk about having faith in the dog doing what you say!?) As we stood talking (for an hour or so) the huge dog laid down because it was bored. After the dog laid down, my toy poodle went over and started sniffing his face. All of a sudden out of nowhere she just bit his nose! Luckily the St. Bernard just opened his eye and didn't flinch. *I* would be afraid to piss off that dog!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts