Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I hope this is right place to post. I searched but didn't find anything on this so thought I'd ask to see if any one has some good suggestions that they have tried.

So Ive been thinking of making my pup (will be 5 months soon) something special for a Dog friendly thanksgiving meal, has anyone done this before and do you have any good recipes/ideas that would be suitable for a pup? It's only gonna be me and him this year and his first thanksgiving ever so thought it'd be fun to make him something special.

Anyways thanks for reading. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I make special meals for special occasions sometimes. I made salmon Christmas cookies today for my three. The cookies are in the freezer waiting for Santa Claus......and do not for one moment think my littlest dog doesn't know who that is! Lol! :) He knows that Santa Claus means treats.......he will go around pointing to candy dishes! Lol! :)

I would make some nice boiled chicken and rice and a little kibble and some plain pumpkin (not pie mix) and maybe some peas. If you want to get really fancy there is a pumpkin pie recipe I posted in the food forum. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morrwyn: thank you for your suggestion. I might have to put in a "request" for some turkey to from a friend since I don't eat meat so won't have one here but I'm sure Riot would like that.

Abbylynn: thank you for your suggestion as well! Is that recipe on here as well (for the salmon cookies)? That sounds awesome. I love making special treats for my pup. I go a little nuts researching and figuring out which ones are safest/healthiest. Figured I'd get suggestions from people's experiences on here so thank you- very helpful! I shall look up your pumpkin pie recipe on here as well.

On a side note: is it a risk to give Riot a special meal like this? Just in terms of it causing him to only expect cooked meals? Or is it okay to mix some type of cooked meat like chicken or turkey into his regular food?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
The salmon cookie recipe is the DF recipe. The recipe is posted in the General Dog Question Forum.......someone asked about making dog cookies......there are a couple other interesting recipes in there as well.

I am not sure what to say about your dog expecting a cooked meal all the time? Mine are just picky eaters. :) I add cooked meats and peas and pumpkin and green beans to my dogs meals on pretty much a regular basis. I am trying to be health conscious as well ad I also use (vet recommended quantities) fish oil and vitamin E every day for skin and coat.

I was thinking of turkey for mine.....but I read something about turkey fat and turkey skin being toxic to dogs......until I know more.....I am skipping the turkey. :) Plus I have one dog battling allergy issues. :(

EDIT: Look for " WANTED Recipe for dog cookies"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Thank you so much for your help!
I will search those right now.
Yeah my pup may just be a picky eater as well then I suppose as I've noticed some "picky eating behavior" here and there.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Depending on where you live (either bigger city or not) - there are bakeries that cater to dogs where you can buy a dog friendly thanksgiving meal.
For my girls I make peanut butter and oatmeal treats, I give plain pumpkin and yogurt as "dessert", and they get the pieces of turkey that are gizzly or people don't want.
Avoid things that have seasoning (garlic and onion are toxic to dogs). You can google lists of toxic food for dogs to guide what to avoid but as a general rule - cooked meats are usually safe, common cheeses are okay, avoid fruit, some veggies are okay and some are not (look these up).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Huntington beach so I will look into the dog "catering" thing as well as another option. I didn't know that existed. I actually do that for my own veg thanksgiving meal so it would make sense if they do that for dogs too. Thanks for that tip. And yes thank you, I've researched a lot about foods toxic to dogs and what not but there is always more to learn so whatever I end up giving Riot for thanksgiving I'll be sure to double check everything.
Thanks again:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just googled that bakery and there is one in a nearby city. I will check them out this weekend! They have great reviews so I'm excited to see what I find. Thanks:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do you have a dehydrator? I have a recipe for turkey and sweet potato treats using a dehydrator. Dixie loves them and it is a great way to use up leftovers.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just googled that bakery and there is one in a nearby city. I will check them out this weekend! They have great reviews so I'm excited to see what I find. Thanks:)
My girls love going. We usually go to the dog park and then the bakery. They can't stop sniffing everything, milking the baker for samples and wanting to eat everything as soon as we pick it out. I know ours is running "beast feast" i.e. a dog thanksgiving meal you can order. We may get our girls one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dehydrator recipe: 2cups cooked turkey, chopped up really small
1 cup water
1 cup cooked sweet potato
1 Tbsp molasses
1 1/2 cups dry (uncooked) oatmeal

Run the turkey and water in a blender or food processor. Add in the sweet potato and molasses and puree. Pour it into a bowl and stir in the oatmeal. Put about a teaspoon size scoop for each treat onto the dehydrator rack. The original recipe calls for a cranberry pressed into the middle. It looks pretty but my dog just spits it out on the carpet and cranberry stains. I use frozen blueberries instead. They are very popular. They take about 4-5 hours in the dehydrator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts