Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I previously posted a question about our dog Scout showing aggressive behavior. We have been working with him a lot and he is doing much better. Today we took him to the park and he was an absolute angel. Didn't bark once and there were many other dogs that he came in contact with. Upon arriving home however, he became aggressive again with any people or dogs he sees.

This leads me to believe that he isn't aggressive in general and doesn't have leash aggression like I thought before. It seems that he is only aggressive around his "territory". What are some ways to train him out of this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
He is probably not truly aggressive. He is probably afraid and because he cannot get away (on leash) he does what he thinks he needs to (he gets big and scary first to keep everything away). At the park all of the inputs probably overwhelm him a bit.

Advocate for him. Do not have him greet other dogs. Keep him out of dog parks. Do not let people pet him. Let him know you are going to take care of this and he does not need to. Get between him and other people and dogs (this lets him know you have this and it's not his job). Move back some. Do not buy into his behavior with saying "It's OK Scout.. etc etc." Be confident. Help him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts