Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several posts about dogs who are afraid of car rides and none of the remedies have seemed to work on my dog. He is a 2 yr old American Bulldog (Zeke a.k.a. squishy face) that I rescued a year and a half ago. He used to be terrified just to walk down the street and approach a car - he would get low to the ground and tremble! I took baby steps with him and he is now over that, but car rides are another story. I have had him get in the car on his own after coaxing him and let him back out after less than a minute and increased the time to where he'll hop in, but he ALWAYS trembles once he's in the car. I have tried to reward him for getting in the car, or make it so it's a GREAT thing to be in the car by using snacks but he wants NOTHING to do with any food until he's out of the car. I have taken him on very short car rides to going to a park very close to our house and he never has relaxed not one bit. He doesn't whine, or bark, he just shakes the whole time and wants to either be behind someone's back (just his face) or he crouches low to the floor. The other day he poked his head up to attempt to look out of the window and went right back to the floor. I have a pitbull that we also rescued (Ava) and she is a pro at car rides, but he doesn't look to her as the role model....I don't know what else to try!

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
And similar to the Thundershirt is the Anxiety Wrap.

You could also try some herbal anti-anxiety chews; Valerian root seems to be one of the more effective ingredients. It likely will not completely calm him, but a few chews about 30-40 minutes before getting into the car might calm him enough to take treats once he's in the car. Then you can go on lots of trips to nowhere by sitting the driveway first with the car off and feeding treats and then gradually with the motor idling and then finally moving up to a trip down the block.

He might feel more comfortable in a crate- like the airline style plastic crates- so he doesn't see the world rushing by (maybe what he is trying to hide from by being on the floor)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thank you both! I am going to look into all of the above! I have worked with horses not loading into trailers and have tried the same tactics, taking it very slow and reassuring them nothing's going to eat them once inside - but he is throwing me for a loop! The not eating the treats really threw me off. Thanks again!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts