Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me an impression of what typical behavior changes are for this period? I am trying to figure out if my pup is just being typical at this stage (6 months) or if I am doing something wrong.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Well, what's he doing?

I've never dealt with it, but I've seen people who have. It mainly consists of the dog trying to push his boundries, and acting out right naughty towards you :p This could consist of running around you in circles when you say "come" or it could be barking at you when you say sit...:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure what your having happen. I had a few issues for a while around that point where she would get out and run all around. Making it very difficult to releash. A few energetic outbursts at night when it was bed time but other then that nothing to bad.
The one thing I did was revisit some methods that I had gotten lazy with. Claiming the dog bowl for a few seconds when it was feeding time. Making sure she was totally submissive before letting her eat. Having her submit in some of her favorite places in the house ect. Just little refreshers of dominance and it all went away very quick. I also really enforced not rewarding crazy excitement. Doing the whole "no look, no touch, no talk " method when coming home. Making sure she was calm before giving the affection.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hallie hit the teenage phase at about 7 months and it lasted till about 9 or 10 months. She started peeing on the bed and we had to basically treat her like a brand new 6 week old puppy. She got really stubborn and didn't want to cooperate doing anything and she too would get rowdy before bed and sometimes I would end up having to crate her all night. She just turned a year old and she's doing a ton better, she sleeps all night at the foot of the bed, comes when called(work in progress), and does everything willingly. :) The teenage months can be difficult but they're over for most dogs pretty quick, just keep up with training. What a lot of people do is drop on the training at about 5 months when the dog seems to be getting the hang of everything but that's really the time it needs to be strongest IMO.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
With some dogs it doesn't even happen. With all of my previous puppies it never happened, but I'm pretty sure I'll go through it with this puppy, as she's already stubborn!

Just gotta hang in there!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't want to list behaviors at first because i wanted to see what might be typical. I may just be crazy. But he ignores commands I know he knows. He seems to only respond to me when I have food (which I had at one time phased out of his commands successfully). He won't even come to me in the house unless he knows I have food, which is new. Just want to know if this is a normal thing for him to go through or if I'm doing something wrong.

I mean do I need to keep kibble in my pocket all the time so my dog will like me?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yup, sounds normal. I have been keeping treats on me all the time with my stubborn pup..if I say come(which she knows) and she doesn't do it, I do whatever in my power to get her to listen, whether it be jumping up and down or shaking a treat bag...Even during the stubborn times you don't want them to learn that they can ignore you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts