Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some bad days at work, but this one takes the cake! As some of you may know, I work at Camp Bow Wow, a doggy daycare here in Denver. Since this is a franchise business, there are several camps all across the nation, and even in Canada, and some close or move on occasion. Well, there is(was) a camp near the Denver International Airport (we call it DIA).

So anyway, the DIA camp sold their building, and ran out of time to look for a new one, so all their dogs and employees have been dispersed to all the surrounding camps - including ours. So now we've got an ungodly amount of dogs, and there are about 4-5 new people from the other camp now working at ours for the next six months (or maybe longer, god forbid).

Which brings me to my rant:

Some of these people just SUCK at their job! At least two of them SCREAM at the dogs for every little thing, and from what I have seen, NONE of them can tell the difference between a dog that's being aggressive, or just giving a warning snap! And here's the kicker! One of these people is TERRIFIED of boxers - one of the most COMMON breeds that come in for boarding/daycare! Also, none of these people listen to the employees who were there BEFORE them, and they mix dogs who should not be mixed!

This resulted in a REALLY bad dog fight today between a boxer (Flynn) and an american bulldog (Echo), and guess who was in the play yard it happened in?? You got it! The chick who was scared of boxers! So this horrible fight broke out, and since nobody in that play yard was paying attention, nobody knows what started it. Flynn bit Echo several times all over his body, while Echo clamped onto Flynn's leg, and just held on and shook.

At this point I was in the play yard grabbing Echo's back legs, which didn't do ANYTHING, because the other chick, rather than grabbing the other dog's back legs (so we could do the whole wheelbarrow thing) was just standing there, hands to her face, SCREAMING bloody murder at the top of her lungs! Luckily, another co-worker came from a different play yard and helped me separate the dogs. Both dogs were treated, and everyone was calm again except for this girl, who continued to pace around and cry in the play yard.

So, we had her go in the little dog yard, but one dog snapped at another and it was really loud, and she freaked out and just LEFT. Like.... left the play yard unattended, and left the building! Where the heck do they find these people?? You can't work at a job like this if you are scared of dogs... AT ALL!

So since she left, and another co-worker has quit because of he got sick of it, we were understaffed for the rest of the day, it took forever to clean the play yards, and to feed and put the dogs up for the night. I'm exhausted, and I'm definitely complaining to my boss about these new people.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know yet. Since we were understaffed, I couldn't leave the play yard because I would've been leaving at least 30 dogs unattended. I'm talking to my boss about it when I see her next though, because that was unacceptable.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
heck yeah thats unacceptable..what if a dog was injured because no one was there!...if I was an owner and found out someone walked out and left my dog I would be furious:eek:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Well, i hope the two dogs are okay. I also hope that those two people lose their jobs. That would be the only positive thing of the whole situation. That one girl is a safety hazard to all the dogs she is "watching"

Good luck. Let us know what happens

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have got no clue. I know the owner of our camp would never have even considered her. The first thing I was asked during my interview was "Are you comfortable around all breeds and sizes of dogs/are you uncomfortable around any particular breed?"

Well, Echo had the most damage. Multiple puncture wounds, mainly around his face. Flynn just had one on his leg, because Echo clamped onto one spot and did that "bully shake" thing. Once the wounds were cleaned up, they didn't look that bad. Flynn's owner was notified of the fight and a report was filed. Echo is actually an employee dog, so his owner, who had left her dog in this girl's care while she went up and helped some customers, wasn't too pleased with what happened.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I seen a video once where they were talking about dog behavior in dog parks. They had said that if a fight breaks out with the dogs the best thing to do is throw a towel over the dog that started the fight.

Never seen it done but it makes sense that the dogs eyes would be covered for a few seconds allowing the dogs to be separated.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Wow that sucks. I can't imagine having someone working in that situation who is afraid of any kind of dog. And not being able to tell the start of a real fight and just warnings apart? I can understand if the person had just started, but if they had been working there for any length of time they should know.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update! I found out that when that chick freaked out and left the building on Friday, she told the boss she quit, so she won't be coming back. I think this is a good thing. The dogs need people who are not afraid of them, and who won't freak out and escalate their aggressive behavior, and she needs a job she's comfortable doing, so I hope she finds something that's not this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts