Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and could not find the answer to this through searching, though it might be out there....

I have a pit bull mix that we rescued. She is 4. She loves to play ball but the tennis balls never last. In less than 5 minutes of playing retrieval, they ball splits in half. I hate wasting money on something that lasts less than 5 min. Is there a durable ball out there that someone could recommend? I use one of those scoop things to throw it so I am looking for something similar in size to a tennis ball.

I have the same frustration with her toys.....accept for one or two, she has destroyed everything...rope toys, plush toys, balls, you name it.....She loves playing so I keep buying her toys in hopes of finding something that will last. They only thing she has not destroyed is her kong and this frisbie squeaky toy. None of the so called "durable" toys last either.

Our second dog (3 years old) does the same thing with toys as well.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Kong makes a ball that may stand up. I have one called the "Huck" from West Paw Design that floats. How well they stand up to a real power chewer is anybody's guess.

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
I have found tennis balls from the sporting goods department hold up better than from the pets department. I have been amazed how long they hold up to Labs that usually destroy stuff in minutes.

Have your tried Nylabones? Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i love the good/bad cuz. you might need to cut off the feet, but they are very durable and soft on the mouth. My two weims are very aggressive chewers and have not been able to destroy one yet and it's been over a year. I suggest the medium size.
oh, also it has a very annoying squeak that dogs love!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Zero goes through tennis balls pretty quickly. I've found it's better to just buy the cheap brand that you get a whole case full of them for next to nothing. I pick a lot of mine up at garage sales for next to nothing as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
The "tennis balls" from the pet stores are fake and Esther destroys those in minutes. The real tennis balls last forever though a dog who actually chews on them will go through them quickly. For whatever reason, Esther doesn't chew on the real ones.

We get gently used ones from Play It Again Sports, from area tennis courts and cheap new ones when they go on sale.

They don't get chewed up, but they go over the fence or get lost on the bushes. Then, when I'm using the riding lawnmower, several dozen magically reappear.

A Toro is much harder on them than a Plott hound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts