Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used tennis ball my dog likes to chew but I've noticed that he's 'eating' the green outer surface of a tennis ball. Is this harmful? I mean it's one thing to gnaw at the tennis ball, but he's blatantly going out of his way to chew the surface and rip the green stuff off.

Is this okay for my dog?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Chewing on tennis balls isn't good for their teeth, anyway. It's abrasive. Use a Kong or Kong balls.

Q Are tennis balls safe chew toys for dogs?

A: Although tennis balls are probably one of the most popular dog toys, I always recommend that tennis balls not be given to dogs. The reason is because chewing on tennis balls can cause serious dental problems in dogs. The wooly nylon fuzz on tennis balls is abrasive and can wear down the enamel on dogs’ teeth.

Additionally, when tennis balls bounce along the ground, they pick up grit and hold it in the fuzz, causing the ball to be even more abrasive. In dogs that are aggressive chewers, chewing on tennis balls can wear down the teeth so much that the tooth pulp becomes exposed; these teeth are very painful and will need to be extracted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chewing on tennis balls isn't good for their teeth, anyway. It's abrasive. Use a Kong or Kong balls.
I got some stuffed animal chew toys from Petco, these are fine right? Their just like cotton with foam in the middle, these shouldn't hurt their teeth?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts