Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I'd say the absolute most important thing, if you are looking for a sports puppy (from a breeder), is stick to repeat breedings and ask not only about the parents' temperaments and success, but how the puppies from the previous litter are doing.

If you want a dog with a known temperament, consider adopting an adult - from a shelter, rescue, or sometimes breeders get puppies returned (when young or when a bit older) and seek to place them in a home that's a better fit.

My shelter dog is my heart dog, but I adopted her to dabble in sports and she has anxiety so bad that she's only now, at the age of 4 and with anxiety medications on board, maybe possibly able to trial in rally in certain venues. And it has been a struggle that I am grateful for because it has made me a much better dog trainer and a kinder person, but it was also two years of near-constant heartbreak. I'm sure that my experience is an outlier - maybe even an extreme one. But I can't go through that again, so for baby puppies at leas, I'll be sticking with breeders.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.