Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be another couple of years until I get a second dog, but I like to start my research early and it seems I have a problem.
I look at breeders’ pages and their dogs. I research their pedigrees. And it seems some dogs keep appearing every now and then. The thing is, I might know how the dog looks or what titles it has, but I know absolutely nothing about their temperaments. For example, I can look up Quardes von der Staatsmacht, see his titles, but only after a brief chat with one GSD breeder I found out that he is a very intense dog who can be handler aggressive at times. On social media I can read stuff like “My dog is exactly what his pedigree predicts” referring to said dog being sharp/civil. Or “this dog produces dogs that can be nervy and reactive”
My question: how does one find out about temperaments and traits of a certain dog/line without meeting those dogs in person? How do I find out if when a breeder advertises a litter out of X and Y I should consider buying a puppy from said parents? I do NOT want a dog that will potentially climb the leash or be overly on the sharp side of the breed temperament.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you WANT to do with this dog? Pet? Agility? IPO/IPG? AKC Obedience? What are your goals?
Ideally, IGP. But as you said, not a Porsche but rather something that could get me in the sport but still be a well rounded active companion. Somewhere on the bit softer side of breed standard, but not a Golden retriever kind of dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.