Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I don't know that much about extreme personality oddities in dogs and a few weeks ago, my bf and I watched a dog for a friend of his.

Her owner went away for a few days and the dog stayed with us at our place and was a complete mess the whole time, and I felt very bad for the little thing.

She was a pomeranian and was horribly growly. If she was chewing a toy, but another toy was close to her and you tried to remove it, she would snap and growl. If you approached her to get her to move from where she was laying or if you tried to step around her, she would snap or growl.

She hated poor Opal and every time Opal would walk near her to be friendly, she would attack her. Opal was actually a very kind hostess, lucky for this little dog.

She hid under the kitchen table most of the time that she was here and refused to come out. The only time she was comfortable was when she was outside- she actually allowed me to pet her outside ,but inside she would bite me if I touched her.

So, I was wondering if we have to watch her again (I pray not, but who knows) what is the best way to handle the situation? Why, after a week of being here, did she not warm up to her surroundings? What could I have done to make her more comfortable?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Sounds like a VERY fearful/anxious dog. Personally, I don't think that there is much you can do about solving her fearfulness as she's not your dog and you're only watching her every once in a while. This kind of thing takes a lot of time and patience to fix. If I were watching her for a friend, I would just try to give her as much space as possible and try not to crowd her or make her feel uncomfortable in any way. Does she have her own crate? Maybe give her the option of hiding in her crate or something if you need to use the kitchen table and she won't get out from under it. Block off her access to the table if she keeps going under there. Don't allow her to have any toys or food or treats around any other dogs. Maybe only allow her to have her toys while she's locked in her crate, same with daily feeding.

Also, it might help to ease her anxiety if you tried using a D.A.P. diffuser. It produces a pheromone that relaxes dogs. It works really well with Basil's SA. If you don't want to commit to buying a whole diffuser if you're not going to use it regularly (It costs about $40 where I live) you can buy D.A.P. in a little spray bottle for about $20. It should last a long time if you're only using it for her visits. Spray it into her crate or onto the carpet near where she is going to hang out a few minutes before you let her have access to the area. Also, one thing I used to do is spray some of it onto a bandana and then tie the bandana around Basil's neck so that the D.A.P. could calm him while we were in the car and such.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Nargle.

We actually moved her crate to where she was hiding under the kitchen table, and she did crawl into it. I didn't think that was a good idea, because it was almost impossible to get her to come out. We eventually were able to lure her out with human grade ground beef so that we could take her outside to potty, but then she'd run in again as soon as she was inside. If she stays again, we won't be going that route.

I know better then to reach for a strange dog, but she was wagging her tail at first so I tried to pet her on her side. I thought that would be much less threatening to her then a pat on the head or back, and she got me good. I had a hard time reading her body language.

She was such a little dog, too, but man did she pinch hard!

After that, I just gave her a very wide berth. We were supposed to try to brush her for them at least once, but we couldn't because she seemed terrified of the brush, too.

"Normal" treats just didn't work for her- Opal will work for dog treats, but especially loves liver and cheese. This dog turned up her nose and we couldn't feed all of our food to her LMAO!!!!

And just to clarify, we never actually took anything away from her. But, I was trying to clean and pick up some dog toys before vacuuming, and even the toys she wasn't playing with were clearly off limits. She bit Opal in the face for sniffing at one of them.

I felt so bad for her. I didn't even think of the DAP and I used to use one for when Opal was a puppy. That's a good idea.

I also thought it was extreme fear that was causing her behavior, but I didn't want to put words in anyone's mouth when they posted. I was just curious if maybe it was something I had not considered. I just didn't know what to do with her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts