Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cerberus, my heeler mix, has a cavity on one of his molars. I found it last night when I brushed his teeth. I've been trying to take really good care of his mouth, as he has no enamel on some of his molars, bc it was damaged by his distemper. I think I'm gonna have to get his teeth pulled. I don't want him put under, I freak out. He's my baby. I don't know what my other options are going to be. I have an appt with my vet Friday for him to look at it, and for us to discuss our plan of action ( I love my vet). I'm probably gonna freak out until them. Anyone else have doggy dental issues that ended well? I need the reassurance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How do you know it is a cavity? Sometimes dogs will get a black spot in one of the crevices on the carnassial tooth. It's normal.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I don't think it is, though. It's a hole in the flat side surface of his tooth. I hope it's something like that, though. Would it suddenly show up like that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
First of all..kudo's to you for practising good dental hygiene with your four legged friends and being alert enough to catch a potential problem before it worsens.

My little poodle mix came to me when he was 6 years old and along with all of his "mental" problems he also had very bad teeth. Within 4 months he had a total of 17 teeth pulled in two separate surgeries!! Though it's always a worry..he came through just fine. He needed to be on antibiotics for a few days before the procedure and continued them for a couple of weeks afterwards.

You've got the biggest hurdle out of the road by having a vet that you trust and feel comfortable with. That's huge!! If they feel that it's necessary to do an extraction then you can trust their judgement and let them do their jobs.

Thankfully..they've come a million miles from the old days when they used minimal pain meds and didn't have the technology that exists today. My current vet mentioned that if they had done the surgeries they would have used some type of a filler afterwards so that he would have a hard surface to assist him in chewing. Not sure of the details.

Best of luck in Cerberus's vet visit...and try not to worry. On the bright side..he's got a chance for a visit from the toothfairy:)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It's so hard to tell whether teeth problems are serious or not! I'm a vet tech and I still have a hard time determining if something on a tooth is serious. Sounds like it could be something, but really only the vet will know what to do. :) But I agree...good job taking care of their teeth! We see SO many people who just don't even look at their dog's teeth and they come in needing a handful pulled which is very sad!

Bridgette has never had any teeth pulled or problems, but she had her first dental (under anesthesia) a year ago and it was quick, easy (which I say because I did it lol) and her teeth were beautiful after!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I hate seeing ppl's pets that don't get their teeth taken care of. It looks so painful. And it's not hard to brush their teeth, I do my cats, also. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know what this hole is, that makes me feel better. I'll report back after my visit Friday with the doc, hopefully its' nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never had tooth problems with my dog, but I also do not brush her teeth. I've been looking to try it, as she is very comfortable with me handling her mouth, but do they make special 'doggie paste' or can I just use human tooth paste? She has a little bit of plaque on her teeth that I'd like to get rid of, but I don't want to use my tooth paste and make her sick. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've never had tooth problems with my dog, but I also do not brush her teeth. I've been looking to try it, as she is very comfortable with me handling her mouth, but do they make special 'doggie paste' or can I just use human tooth paste? She has a little bit of plaque on her teeth that I'd like to get rid of, but I don't want to use my tooth paste and make her sick. Any suggestions?
They make special tooth paste for dogs.. Never use human tooth paste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! I figured it was pretty obvious, the chemicals we have in OUR tooth paste, but I had never seen dog tooth paste before. I'll keep an eye out for it when I go to the pet store. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the vet confirmed it is a cavity, and we're gonna have the tooth pulled. I'm bummed, but I don't want it to make him uncomfortable. I hate that he's gonna loose the whole tooth, but since it's already weakened by the distemper, the vet doesn't think that finding a doggie dentist to drill would be a viable option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts