Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Marge is genetically prone to plaque and buildup on her teeth. She's 2 years old and her front teeth look wonderful, but the two big teeth in the back on top look awful, as do some of the smaller teeth in between. They have some yellowed/browned areas that I've been trying to clear up for forever now. They were this way since before I got her, and her siblings' teeth were filthy too so I'm thinking maybe it's a predisposition to it.

The thing that originally got her teeth cleaner after we adopted her was a pressed rawhide bone. I don't give those anymore, though I did let her gnaw on one with CLOSE supervision and almost no swallowing (I held it while it was chewing and I cut off the gummy parts continuously). It didn't work this time, so needless to say there's absolutely no reason to try them again since I don't like them in the first place.

I have been applying PetzLife Oral Care Gel for about 10 days now and haven't seen much improvement. I'm trying to not just smear it onto her teeth, but to also use it as a toothpaste by applying it to a finger brush and rubbing it on. I know it's probably still a bit early to tell if it's working, but to be honest I had my doubts about the product to begin with and am still doubting now.

What else can I do? I don't want to use artificial stuff like Greenies but maybe there are other safe products out there that I don't know about. I really don't want her to have to get her teeth cleaned by the vet as I think it'll send her tremendously backwards in terms of fear issues.

I know RMBs are good for the teeth but I haven't tried them and if/when I do, it won't be on a very regular basis. So I don't know if that's worth it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have used dental scrappers on my dogs when they get plaque. Of course they have to be gentle enough dogs that will let you open their mouth and scrape their teeth.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Some dogs are predisposed for bad teeth. See it in greyhounds all the time. Even in our pack - everything being equal, some develop plaque and others never seem to.

IMO, the best thing for teeth is a variety of RMBs. If you can do a turkey neck a couple times a week, I think you'd see a big improvement. The thing about raw though, is that it's better to do it or not do it. Otherwise, you can end up with an upset stomach and loose poops when you feed a raw bone.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'm looking for some good preventative stuff, too. My Doxie was poorly bred and has absolutely awful teeth. We have them cleaned, and then it seems like in no time there is a large build up of plaque.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Butch had his cleaned last August and they are already have a bunch of plaque. Never had this much problem with my dogs' teeth. He's the first one I have taken to the dentist (Roxxy has been as well). I must admit I don't brush them but they eat only had foods and treats. One of those things to start figuring into dog care...ugh!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snuggles I have heard about dental scalers/scrapers but there are conflicting views on it and I don't know who to listen to. I know if I asked my vet he'd give me a resounding no.

Will think about the RMBs, lovemygreys.. the only thing is that I am not able to go on a fully raw diet right now so that will mean alternating between kibble and raw meat. Even though the raw will be more of a treat in this case.

I just feel like they aren't bad enough to warrant cleaning yet and it will only come back.. I don't want to put her though that as I really do think it will mess with her confidence big time.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Try to find a food with less carbs. Carbs break down into sugar which feeds the bacteria that forms plaque.

I believe this is why those of us who feed raw often see much less dental plaque than kibble fed dogs. And hard kibble doesn't make any difference with dental plaque. It's all about what's feeding the bacteria. I've even discovered that chewing bones is not the entire solution for raw fed dogs and bad teeth. Two of my dogs came to us with such bad teeth that their raw diet was entirely ground for almost a year before they were healthy enough to chew bones. And their teeth went from awful (many extractions) to fantastic (no cleaning, so extractions in four years now) in a matter of a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Besides the dietary recommendations (which are great!), have you ever heard of Leba III? I've heard nothing but good about it. I've been wanting to get a bottle for one of my cats that is predisposed to terrible plaque.

http://landofpuregold.com/store/leba.htm

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i think that rmb's are a great way to help marge's teeth. iorek has been eating raw since december and his teeth are sparkly white and his gums look healthy too. my friend has iorek's brother and he eats orijen kibble and his teeth are already turning colour. the dogs are almost 17 months old. ryder's teeth have been getting build-up for months now. i, honestly, thought that was early for a dog to be getting build-up.

how much does marge weigh? iorek is about 50 lbs and he can eat one large turkey neck for one day of food. i can get them at the grocery store and they are about 1 lb each. if you were to give marge a turkey neck once a week or so instead of her kibble for that day that should be fine. you won't be feeding kibble and raw in the same day if you do it that way. i don't know, just a suggestion. you know what is best for you and your dog and your situation. i hope that you find something to help :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think Marge is genetically prone to plaque and buildup on her teeth. She's 2 years old and her front teeth look wonderful, but the two big teeth in the back on top look awful, as do some of the smaller teeth in between. They have some yellowed/browned areas that I've been trying to clear up for forever now. They were this way since before I got her, and her siblings' teeth were filthy too so I'm thinking maybe it's a predisposition to it.

The thing that originally got her teeth cleaner after we adopted her was a pressed rawhide bone. I don't give those anymore, though I did let her gnaw on one with CLOSE supervision and almost no swallowing (I held it while it was chewing and I cut off the gummy parts continuously). It didn't work this time, so needless to say there's absolutely no reason to try them again since I don't like them in the first place.

I have been applying PetzLife Oral Care Gel for about 10 days now and haven't seen much improvement. I'm trying to not just smear it onto her teeth, but to also use it as a toothpaste by applying it to a finger brush and rubbing it on. I know it's probably still a bit early to tell if it's working, but to be honest I had my doubts about the product to begin with and am still doubting now.

What else can I do? I don't want to use artificial stuff like Greenies but maybe there are other safe products out there that I don't know about. I really don't want her to have to get her teeth cleaned by the vet as I think it'll send her tremendously backwards in terms of fear issues.

I know RMBs are good for the teeth but I haven't tried them and if/when I do, it won't be on a very regular basis. So I don't know if that's worth it.
I've been using the petzlife oral gel too for about a month and I've seen a little bit of improvement, but not nearly as much as I would have wanted to see.

My dog has plaque build up on one tooth because he's missing the tooth above it so there's nothing to rub up against the tooth to get it clean.

I'm not sure what to do about it either. If you figure out something for marge, I'd love to know what you did. :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using the petzlife oral gel too for about a month and I've seen a little bit of improvement, but not nearly as much as I would have wanted to see.
Yeah, I'm pretty angry about it, to be honest.

Think I might try giving her a RMB once a week.. I'm a little scared, I know raw is one of those things you kind of just have to take the plunge into.. maybe I will freeze it first.

Thanks everyone!

While I'm here, I know Snuggles mentioned scraping.. does anyone else do that?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
While I'm here, I know Snuggles mentioned scraping.. does anyone else do that?
We have a dental scaler but we don't use it. Just one of those things we acquired along the way somehow. Anyway...I would no sooner take a sharp metal object and scrape it against my teeth than I would my dogs. I guess I have used it a few times on track dogs to fleck huge wads of build up off their teeth b/c I don't have any fingernails to speak of (and that stink is really hard to get out from under your nails!)...but no scraping involved....just flecking from the gum line.

Leave that to the professionals. You can actually damage the surface of the tooth and leave microscopic scratches where plaque can easily catch hold...so while you may see a short term benefit of no gunk on teeth, in the long run you may be creating a situation that just makes the problem worse and worse. If you do want to get/use a scaler, ask your vet to show you how to properly use it. Raw bones are not nearly as hard as the steel they make scalers out of...I'd stick with those for "at home" cleanings.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read the same thing about damaging the surface. Good to know. I don't think its something I want to try.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Penny has scuzzy teeth, too. Seems like they get thick plaque on them in less than a week. I give her raw beef bones occasionally. I try for once a week but realistically maybe once a month. They really do work. I just buy a rack of ribs, cut them apart, and give her one (outside!). You can freeze the rest, but in my house there's never leftovers.....:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Maybe you could try to find Wysong Dentatreat. I use it for Bentley and I noticed a HUGE difference in his teeth. His teeth were horrible when I adopted him and after about a month of using this stuff, they looked so much better. I still use it daily (and also give him RMB's) and his teeth look great...hardly any buildup at all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i use a dental scaler on my dogs quarterly
they also get dentasticks 7 in 1 greenie type chews (but they dont contain corn, wheat or soy!)
my vet reccomends raw lamb bones, which is what my cats get because they wont let me scale their teeth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts