Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

teeth look good on our puppy and he is still an aggressive chewer

546 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
I don't get why my puppy chihuahua is 8 months old , has been nurtured last month and has fangs in front mount ant straight front teeth , why is he still chewing and biting things around the house , and I thought after the nutering he would be calmer but isn't .

#2 ·
A) He is in the final stages of teething, when the adult teeth "set", and they chew just a much as, of not more than, when they started teething.
B) Some dogs just plain old like to chew, and will their entire lifetime. You need to make sure he has lots of appropriate things to chew on.
C) Neutering isn't the panacea for everything... time and maturity, on the other hand, can work wonders.

Reactions: lynnron
#6 ·
A) He is in the final stages of teething, when the adult teeth "set", and they chew just a much as, of not more than, when they started teething.
B) Some dogs just plain old like to chew, and will their entire lifetime. You need to make sure he has lots of appropriate things to chew on.
C) Neutering isn't the panacea for everything... time and maturity, on the other hand, can work wonders.
Hi i have the same problem with my 9 month-old toy Chiahui he chewed the under seat car wires , I had to cardboard all round the seats , what's next cayenne pepper spray or stop chew ? we love him but so much chewing playing we are seniors now ,take him to beach, parks etc,

#4 ·
Like I said, his adult teeth are probably all erupted, and he's in the final stages of the process. Just keep redirecting him to acceptable things to chew on.

#5 ·
I will add that some dogs are persistent chewers for life. I have had a couple.. that gnawed things until the day they passed on.

Keep plenty of acceptable chewing things around (I like raw meaty bones in there as it helps keep teeth very clean) and keep unacceptable chew things put away from the dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.