Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure how he started it or really WHY he does it. But Cain clicks his teeth together, it's especially bad when he gets excited. It just makes me wonder how he got into the habit of clicking his teeth. It was HORRIBLE when he was suffering from extreme SA, you could hear is all the way across a room!

Anyone else have pups that click their teeth together?

Or Anyone else have a pup with a dogism all their own?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yes, Kit will click her teeth together in anticipation of some really tasty treats. Usually when a friend asks for a sit and she can barely contain herself long enough to earn the reward.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have no idea what it's about but I HATE that sound.

From what I've seen I thought dogs did that after some kind of bitter taste. I've seen dogs do it after licking urine or the private parts. I've also seen dogs do it with some notoriously bitter meds. One older girl I worked with would nash her rotten teeth after I gave her meds.

Like nails on a chalkboard!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hobbes does it when he's excited or wants to play with our cat, Jack. He gets right up in Jack's face and click's his teeth in a big scary "air snap". I don't really understand why he does it, but Jack isn't really a fan!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
When Sophie is aggravated with Damon I have noticed she will do this with her teeth. I agree with Tofu_pup I HATE the sound. She also does it when she is getting ready to get a treat.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Abbylynn barks and then clicks her teeth loudly while wanting to play with one of the little dogs. I believe it is the excitement of anticipation or a lack of patience waiting for the other dog to respond to her advances. Just a wild guess? Looks scary though doesn't it?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cain doesn't really open his mouth when he clicks his teeth tho, so it's not that scary. Keep your mouth closed and click your teeth together, that's what he does. When we first got him, one time he did it so badly that me at the time SO looked at me and asked "Is the dog having a seizure?"

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Are we all on the same page here? I was referring to the chatter type teeth clicking, not the "air snap" that sometimes accompanies play initiation.
I'm on the same page with you. haha
I have only had one dog in my life do the "air snap" and that was my Dogue de Bordeaux.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sometimes Butters grinds her teeth together, and my vet said it's because she's stressed >.< particularly when I try to take the booger out of her eye :(

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Chattering is a Calming Signal related to excitement or anxiety, and seems to be most common in border collies ... Not much different than a tongue flick. Pay attention to when they do it, and see if there is any variation in the type, loudness, frequency of the chatter vs. the situation.

I can't provide much more opinion, b/c my dog doesn't chatter.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Chattering is a Calming Signal related to excitement or anxiety, and seems to be most common in border collies ... Not much different than a tongue flick. Pay attention to when they do it, and see if there is any variation in the type, loudness, frequency of the chatter vs. the situation.

I can't provide much more opinion, b/c my dog doesn't chatter.
Was this not mentioned in Turid R's book?

I still associate that awful chatter sound with a dog that tasted something bitter.

But I've only worked with a handful of BCs so never seeing them do it obviously doesn't mean you're wrong.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My MILs Cocker Spaniel does the teeth chatter when she is overwhelmed. Sometimes when she is overly excited bout something she will run around and chatter and sometimes its not a good thing as she will first chatter then she will grind them if she is stressed. That is when she may get nippy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts