Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peter Pan is 5 month now, I think he is stepping into the period of "teenager"...

And things are getting out of control.

He loves barking! We tried to give him more exercises, including bringing him to the dog park. The thing is, in the dog park he does not play with other dogs, he just tries to get every human being petting him-_-b And, more exercises doesn't get things better. We use water spray to stop him barking, well... I see the sign of getting used to the water and enjoying it...

He cries when seeing my boyfriend and I leaving, sometime even we are just leaving the room and going to another one.

He steals foods and trush. Does it help if I punish him upon seeing him doing so? Or is it better if I keep all things away from him? (Well...In that case he will eat the wall...He definately have enough food, we feed him more than suggested for a puppy of his breed and age and wight)I'm sure he knows stealing is wrong. 'Coz when he steals something and I saw him eating the stealt food, he gives up the food immediately. He won't do that if the food is given by us, when eating given food he loves bring it to our feet and eat there.

Every time when I see him trying to steal something I always stop him, sometimes punish him. But it doesn't make me feel good to do so. The dog only has dog food and treat! I understand he wants to taste those human foods. The thing is, if he just digest foods he steals, that's fine, foods are for eating. However, most things he steals, he eats them, and then get diarrhea.
My friends dog, who hot food poisoned once, started hating that food, even the container that carried that food... I just don't understand how come Peter never start hating any food even they get him hiarrhea???

Plz some Shelti owner tells me everything will get better. Peter Pan will get through this period in around 1 months and later he will being undenstandable again. Otherwise I'm droven crazy by my puppy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, things will get better, but it takes some work from you.

For the barking, try adding a touch of vinegar to the spray bottle, and spray right at his face. (this worked so well with our dog, that all I have to do now is pick up the spray bottle and the dog stops doing whatever it is I need her stop -- counter surfing and barking are 2 good examples)

Have you done a training class? If not, get thee to a training class. If so, remember to continue to practice the basics.

As for the trash, put it someplace that he can't get to it. (under the sink, with a latch) If he does, you want to redirect his attention, not punish him. Work on the "drop it" and "leave it" command with a high value treat, and he'll learn. And no, your dog has NO IDEA that stealing is "wrong". Dogs don't have a moral compass. He does know that you will try and take it away from him, though.

Does the dog stop crying eventually when you leave the room? Stuff a kong, freeze it, and give it to the dog when y'all have to leave.

It DOES get better, but like I said, it takes some effort on your part, as well.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Put the spray bottle away. That does nothing to address the underlying cause(s) for barking (fear, boredom, excitment or alert barking (warning you of an 'intruder'). Spraying a dog that is barking out of fear or alert barking will make things much worse.
Trash and food should not be left out....that's all part of puppy proofing the house.
If these issues weren't covered in your puppy classes, most basic good manners classes will go over them again, although rather briefly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, things will get better, but it takes some work from you.

For the barking, try adding a touch of vinegar to the spray bottle, and spray right at his face. (this worked so well with our dog, that all I have to do now is pick up the spray bottle and the dog stops doing whatever it is I need her stop -- counter surfing and barking are 2 good examples)

Have you done a training class? If not, get thee to a training class. If so, remember to continue to practice the basics.

As for the trash, put it someplace that he can't get to it. (under the sink, with a latch) If he does, you want to redirect his attention, not punish him. Work on the "drop it" and "leave it" command with a high value treat, and he'll learn. And no, your dog has NO IDEA that stealing is "wrong". Dogs don't have a moral compass. He does know that you will try and take it away from him, though.

Does the dog stop crying eventually when you leave the room? Stuff a kong, freeze it, and give it to the dog when y'all have to leave.

It DOES get better, but like I said, it takes some effort on your part, as well.
well, thanks a lot for your suggesstions. I'll try them:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts