·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already narrowed down my top three breeds and they are:

1. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
2. Maltese
3. Chinese crested Dog

I have seen many breeder over the internet advertise for "teacup" sized dogs. I'm very curious, it it normal to have a "teacup" sized dog? I mean, Maltese are usually under 8 pounds, so that would mean a teacup sized dog would be under 6 pounds and this seem extremely small to me - to the point where it doesn't look healthy.

Are these teacup varieties healthy or is it a classic case of horrible breeding standards?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Teacup = gimmick to sell you a sickly runt for way too much money

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I haven't done a lot of research on this topic yet, but in my opinion, as stated already; I think it's more a selling gimic. As I said, no research yet, but it just sounds unhealthy for the dog...

·
Registered
296 Posts
teacups are bred for size, and not a size that follows any breed standard. someone breeding for small size does not have the betterment of the breed in mind. what this means is a greater risk of congenital defects and genetic disease. on average i have heard teacups live on average only 5 years.

when picking a breeder you want one that is making improvements to the breed as stated in the kennel club of choice. If that is not their goal, then they arent doing the breed or you any favors.

out of the 3 your posted the crested will have the least genetic issues, and the cavi will have the least grooming requirements. Also both of these breeds are less common than the maltese, meaning less breeders to choose from, but hopefully a higher caliber of breeder.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i beleive the tea cup is a scam as well...

however, i know they have chiuaua's weight about 6-8bs, but, i know they are not "tea-cup" size.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have a 5 lb dog and he is very healthy, however run FAR away from anyone claiming 'teacups'. It's a gimick and anyone breeding for that extreme size is doing their dogs no favors. A smaller toy breed dog is simply undersized and shouldn't be bred from.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If you have any questions about Cavaliers feel free to ask or message me :D And I'm sure Pai wouldn't mind answering any questions that you may have bout Chinese Cresteds.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I never understood why people want teacup Chihuahuas... 6 lbs isn't small enough? Though I suppose if you want to a stuff a dog into a handbag you need them smaller. =/

Cresteds are allowed to be 6 to 12 pounds. So if you want a smaller one, it shouldn't be too hard to find one. But I've seen Cresties as small as 4 lbs before... it's very sad. You get problems with low blood sugar and lots of other things once a dog goes below a certain size.

And I'm sure Pai wouldn't mind answering any questions that you may have bout Chinese Cresteds.
Yep. Feel free to check out my Crestie website, there's lots of general info about them there and helpful links. Plus, I'll talk about them for hours here if you let me. =P

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I never understood why people want teacup Chihuahuas... 6 lbs isn't small enough?
I'll never understand this, either. Misty is probably going to max out between 7 and 8 lbs and I thank doG that she's not turned out to be a tiny Chihuahua. Whenever I've come into contact with a "teacup" Chihuahua, I've just cringed and have no idea how to play with it. I'm afraid of hurting it the entire time and am constantly worried that it'll get lost.

I know, I know, I'm paranoid. But the things are just so tiny.. I mean, Misty weighed 3.5 lbs when I got her and quickly shot up. I couldn't imagine having a full grown dog weigh 3-4 lbs.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Ent- I'd bet she's going to be a bit bigger than 8 pounds unless you got her older than I think I remember you saying. Lizzie (14 pounds) was 3 pounds at 8 weeks and is still filling out some. :p

The breed standard says 4-6 pounds, IIRC. I've seen really sound 4 pounders, but they're unusual. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts