Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stumbled across this and thought it would be a good thing to share with every one. most of you on here already know this but people who are looking to buy a new dog should read this. it is on teacup puppies/dogs.
http://www.barkrescue.net/teacup.htm
i had heard roomers about the teacups being unhealthy but this kinda helped me realize what teacup truly is. please people lets breed dogs for health instead of what is convenient for us :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I knew this but i defiantly think more people should know it. My best friend had a abnormally small Doxie (Shawnee, she passed away a few days ago =() He parents and sibling where all normal size but her she only weighed 6lbs and when ever someone would go "Oh my gosh a cute little teacup Dachshund" we would both be like "Um no shes miniature, theres no such thing as a teacup." We actually educated several people.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew this but i defiantly think more people should know it. My best friend had a abnormally small Doxie (Shawnee, she passed away a few days ago =() He parents and sibling where all normal size but her she only weighed 6lbs and when ever someone would go "Oh my gosh a cute little teacup Dachshund" we would both be like "Um no shes miniature, theres no such thing as a teacup." We actually educated several people.
yes and its very hard for people to comprehend. they look at you like your a tree hugger or something when you try to tell them about it... its sad people wold rather hear lies as long as its what they want to hear rather then the truth that would keep them from trouble...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Aww, but everything is cuter in a teacup!!

See! I am kidding, he's actually big for a pom at 8lbs.. definitely NOT teacup sized.. unless you happen to have a really really big cup :)

I don't personally understand the drive to micro-miniaturize dogs. There are PLENTY of legitimate toy breeds already. Nobody needs a dog that fits into their purse..

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
Actually, if the parents and litter mates were all standard, the small one was a runt, not a miniature.

The first dog we ever had was a runt dachshund. She lived five years - the last one of those with no use of her back legs.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Aww, but everything is cuter in a teacup!!

See! I am kidding, he's actually big for a pom at 8lbs.. definitely NOT teacup sized.. unless you happen to have a really really big cup :)

I don't personally understand the drive to micro-miniaturize dogs. There are PLENTY of legitimate toy breeds already. Nobody needs a dog that fits into their purse..
That is one beautiful dog! I can't understand why anyone would want such a teeny dog (not the one in the teacup, in the article), what does one do with a dog the size of a guinea pig?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had to post that on my facebook because I know a lot of people that want teacup dogs. I've got find some way to tag my mom in that because her and all of her friends think they are just the most cute, best little things in the world.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a family member who purchased a 'teacup' toy rat terrier from a pet store a few years ago.

She paid $1500 for it. The little guy started out so tiny, had to be given nutrical, and he wouldn't eat on his own so she had to put bits of wet food in it's mouth just to get him to eat. The puppy lived and her super expensive, teacup sized dog, grew up to be about 26'' tall at the shoulder.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I have a family member who purchased a 'teacup' toy rat terrier from a pet store a few years ago.

She paid $1500 for it. The little guy started out so tiny, had to be given nutrical, and he wouldn't eat on his own so she had to put bits of wet food in it's mouth just to get him to eat. The puppy lived and her super expensive, teacup sized dog, grew up to be about 26'' tall at the shoulder.
do you mean 16" at the withers? Isn't 26"tall even for a rat terrier?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Same goes for other "tiny" terms. I often have to tell people that my poodle is not a "tiny toy" nor a teacup. She is just a toy. (hovers in the 4 to 5 lb range) We adopted her, so no clue if she is the size she ws meant to be or if she is just wee.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
This article is a lot better, I think. It's well-written, and it lays out the different health issues of "teacup" dogs and explains how "teacup" is a marketing gimmick. It also sounds more clinical (a vet wrote it). I find sometimes exclamation-filled screeds can turn some people off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup I do mean 26". He looked like a rat terrier on stilts. He had really long thin legs. Comming from a pet store and probably a puppy mill breeder, who knows what he was really mixed with.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

I guess any thing is possible with pet store sales, but I'm just not buying it. My Elkhound is 21 inches at the withers.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Haha, Toby is 24" at the shoulder. If that tiny baby pup grew that big, he must have been far too young when sold. How much did he weigh when grown? I think Toby is 90 pounds, but I haven't weighed him recently. The pet store probably sold her a mislabeled Great Dane pup! LOL

I have never actually met any dog smaller than 5 pound-ish (when grown). I did once meet a 9-week-old TFT who was the size of a hamster, I doubt she even weighed a pound. I only met her in passing, though, so I don't know how big she got when full grown. Personally, I never want to own a dog smaller than an average cat (10 pounds or so).

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I mean, Smalls was listed as a Dachshund at the shelter, and when I got her she was 5.8 ls at 5 weeks old and looked like a Dachshund. She is now 55 lbs and 15 inches at the withers, so yes, she did get shockingly big for what she was, but nothing like 26 inches at the withers and supposedly purebred. She is clearly a mutt and size is a gamble there.

This is the smallest girl I know. She's a friend's Chihuahua and she weighs 4 lbs, but in person she definitely does not act or look sickly:

Don't use me as a reference, I'm a teacup human being, but is 6 lbs not the average weight for the breed? That is plenty tiny to me. Jonas at 11 lbs is tiny to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts