Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first, he was pushing it around eagerly and I was praising him for it, then he picked it up and kept bringing it to me LOL.

Of course, I can use that... *plots strategy*

Here's the video if anyone is interested. Thoughts/suggestions/ideas welcome.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
What gets rewarded is what gets done. Dogs learn to push a Buster Cube all day long, because they get rewarded. So, from Wally's perspective, every time he brings something to you, he gets a treat :) In his mind, why would he want to push it ? How can he get a reward by pushing rather than retrieving ? (This may be counter to my 'philosophy' of a few topics ago :) )

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's funny is I was praising him for pushing it around with either his nose or moving it with his paws and it just led to him picking it up. No treats or anything as you saw. It seems like he just got excited and then just changed to that behavior. He was pushing it beautifully early on, but then he just got into "I'm gonna figure out how to pick this thing up" mode. I could reward pushes only with shaping and using mark-and-treat method. Of course, that might lead to picking it up too, but less likely and I could more easily just take it from him and put it back down (neutral response from me vs positive response from me).

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have nothing to offer other than it has been forever since I saw an actual pic of " The Wally " IRL ... and he is sooo adorable! :) ... and that he is so talented too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Explain to Wally that he needs to role a character for Dungeons and Dragons. Tell him he can play a brave dog ranger with a human companion. Trust me, that die will roll!

Of course maybe Wally wants to DM...?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knowing Wally, he'd probably want to be a DM or at least a DM's familiar :)

We worked on pushing it - feeding him some cheese bits when he pushed the die around. Only had a little cheese so it was a quick "mini-session". Still funny that he took to the die so readily (basically immediately). Maybe it looks funny to him with all the sides and stuff and he really got curious about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Teach targeting. Put some masking tape on one side on the die, teach him to target only that side. Do not reward unless he meets your criteria. Add a cue. When he has that down, teach him how to pick it up and toss it (if he's already doing this it will simply be a matter of capturing). Add a cue. Them Bam! Both behaviors are on cue and ready.....

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
When he picks it up can you ignore him ... immediately ? ... using punishment .... by withdrawing attention and maybe offering a no reward marker.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
We have made some progress. He's putting his paw on the die and rolling it that way and just suddenly today he started shoving the thing with his snout pretty hard. I don't know if that's some latent learning from prior sessions or if he just did it out of the excitement of another shaping game, but he did it and I sure enough captured it as much as possible.

When he did pick it up and bring it to me, I just took it and put it back out there - no reaction either way. He did it twice, saw it didn't really get a rise out of me (and no bread balls or pieces of veggie straws coming his way) and that was the end of that. Technically, probably some negative punishment in there (since he was expecting a reward/reward marker, and got nothing). He went back to pushing it, going so far as to going some distance out away from me (where ever the thing rolled) and then coming back when I marked the push (used verbal marker), and then went back out to shove it.

He was pushing it around (like nose staying on it and pushing it) as well.

He likes manipulating it with his paws too. That would be awesome if he learned to put it on a number. Of course, I have to teach him numbers first...but one thing he started doing was "holding" it with a paw and then hitting it with his snout. He did that the first couple times he got the hard pushes on it.

I'm capturing the paw pushes/manipulations as well. Might be useful later - either on that object or another one. Maybe I could get him to squeak his toy fox by stepping on the feet (he's picking it up by the feet - thought he'd bite it/grip it hard enough to make it squeak, but he just holds it enough to carry it solidly).

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Cool ! He may be able to distinguish different numerals... but I am positive that he can distinguish different colors, such as yellow, blue, black, white, and grey ... as background, numerals or a mix... I used colors to teach my dog to read, initially...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts