Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently started teaching my dog "touch" (with his nose) but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I read some threads on here about it and then saw someone doing it on tv, so I've got the general idea, I just am not sure if it's right.

i sit on the floor with a treat pouch on my right hip. have the clicker in my right hand. put both hands behind my back. put the left one out in front, say "touch" and then click and treat when his nose hits my hand and put my hands back behind my back and repeat.

does this sound correct to you?

Also, assuming we're doing it right, how much pressure should he be using when touching his nose to my hand? My goal is to eventually get him to push doors closed and right now I don't think that the amount of pressure he's using is going to close any door. He kind of puts his whole nose/mouth area in my hand, is he not supposed to be doing that? How do I teach him to touch with more pressure?

Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You're using a clicker? Good!

I read a book that showed step-by-steps on how to teach "touch" and many other tricks and behaviors like such. It's called Clicking With Your Dog. I read over the book like it was Gold, but Donatello is not the type of dog I can teach tricks to in snap. He's smart as whip, but teaching him tricks makes him feel as if he's getting punished. (Because of his history with previous owners.)

They used a stick, in the book, and then slowly removed the stick out the picture...

Good luck. : )

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I read a book that showed step-by-steps on how to teach "touch" and many other tricks and behaviors like such. It's called Clicking With Your Dog. I read over the book like it was Gold, but Donatello is not the type of dog I can teach tricks to in snap. He's smart as whip, but teaching him tricks makes him feel as if he's getting punished. (Because of his history with previous owners.)

They used a stick, in the book, and then slowly removed the stick out the picture...

lol, i'm not sure how i would teach him anything without a clicker :D I've tried before using just a word marker but it took him SOOOOO much longer to learn what i was trying to teach him. i think i was trying to teach him "up" to get up from laying down. once i pulled out the clicker he learned it in a snap. I like the clicker because it lets you mark at the exact time, IMO, he learns faster when he knows what it is that I want him to do. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds pretty much the way we taught Mojo the touch command. I used two fingers (index and middle) rather than my whole hand but that was just personal preference.

No experience with teaching him to use pressure, Mojo won't be closing any doors at 4 lbs! I would guess that once you move to teaching him to touch the door you start by rewarding with a touch and then up the ante to rewarding for more and more pressure till he can close the door with his nose.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
For closing doors and things you should teach him to target a sticky note. Also, some dogs use their nose more, some prefer their paw. If your dog is used to offering behaviors, then put a sticky note somewhere (even on your hand if you want) and wait for him to either paw it or touch his nose to it (not mouth) and C/T. After he understands the behavior you want (touching the sticky note) then you can work on refining it. You can work first one either pressure or accuracy. For pressure you simply click him a few times for touching, then wait, usually out of frustration they will push harder, then C/T when he does. If he doesn't, then go back to C/T for touching and try to gauge how hard it is he normally does it (try memorize it kinda) and then C/T when it seems he is pushing a bit harder. Then just keep working for harder touches. I found actually working on this on a door that swings really easy to be better because I could SEE how hard he was touching it by how far/fast the door moved.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

I read that book as well...very good with the detailed step by step. I loved it and STILL use it months after I first bought it.

Yeah, the clicker is priceless in my opinion. It's amazing I was able to teach my dogs anything without it...lol Their learning speed is much faster now.

I don't know about pressure but when I was working on touch with my dogs, I basically did it the same way you described but I moved my hands in a lot of different places...up high, to the side on him, behind him, down low...all over the place. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
i sit on the floor with a treat pouch on my right hip. have the clicker in my right hand. put both hands behind my back. put the left one out in front, say "touch" and then click and treat when his nose hits my hand and put my hands back behind my back and repeat.

does this sound correct to you?
Leave out the cue for now... just stick out your fist and click for him touching it on his own accord. If he doesn't want to touch it, you can either a) start clicking for any movement towards the fist until he gets the idea or b) hold a treat in your fist and when he touches it, open your palm and deliver the treat. When you are reliably sticking out your fist and he is touching it, start adding the cue "touch".

Also, assuming we're doing it right, how much pressure should he be using when touching his nose to my hand? My goal is to eventually get him to push doors closed and right now I don't think that the amount of pressure he's using is going to close any door. He kind of puts his whole nose/mouth area in my hand, is he not supposed to be doing that? How do I teach him to touch with more pressure?

Anyone have any insight?
He won't start off with much pressure. Eventually you start upping the ante -- say now he just gently brushes your fist with your nose and you are treating him for that. Stop. Hold out your fist, say "touch", he gently nose-brushes your hand, you say and do nothing, leaving your fist there. He will look expectantly for the treat, and when it doesn't come, he will likely touch your fist again slightly harder, sort of like "hey, didn't you see me touch your fist just now? Where's my treat?" If he does it harder, open your fist and treat. And so on and so forth, gradually upping the ante, until you have enough pressure.

As Mel said, you may want to use a sticky note for the doors. I tried to teach Spunky to close doors using my fist, but it didn't work when I had to position my fist where the door was... it was a little awkward. I ended up having to train a paw target to a post-it note instead, and using that.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to teach him to touch my hand first, then a sticky note on my hand, then the sticky note on the door. I just haven't gotten to the sticky note part yet. I've been working on it with him every day for about 3-5 mintues each day. and I started a few days ago. He's getting quicker at touching my hand when i say touch, now i just need to work on the pressure. I guess I just have to be more patient because if i just wait he just huffs and lays down and stares at me instead of trying to touch with more pressure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we're making good progress, slow progress (my fault) but good progress. Now I put my hand out whether it be above his head, below his head, to the side, etc... and i say touch and he does it!

I think we're ready to move to the post-it on the hand. How do I do that? Do i put a post-it on my hand stick it out and say touch? or do i put the post-it on my hand stick it out and just wait?

I'm not really sure how to move onto the next step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts