Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to really start working with Bayley on this as I really want to get into doing some Rally O fun matches this summer. I've found a trainer to come work with me..yippee, not easy around here mind you.

Now I've read where some trainers start training the heel off leash, usually using a clicker, which I like the idea of. Basically click and treat each time the dog stays close and then eventually only treating when the dog is in the ideal place. What I would like to eventually get is that really nice, really focussed heel that you see in competition obedience.

Another question, since it's been a while since we did any serious training with a class or trainer. Bayley tends to be pretty high energy so should I take her out for a 30 minute or so play time before I start with the trainer or just start her out fresh?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Now I've read where some trainers start training the heel off leash, usually using a clicker, which I like the idea of. Basically click and treat each time the dog stays close and then eventually only treating when the dog is in the ideal place. What I would like to eventually get is that really nice, really focussed heel that you see in competition obedience.
If you really want a nice heel you need to teach that heel is a behavior - the dog's butt moves in relation to you, and that it's not just a be-in-a-general area as you described, which is better suited for loose leash walking. Teaching the behavior 'heel' starts something like this: (notice the platform the trainer is using to isolate the butt movement.

Another question, since it's been a while since we did any serious training with a class or trainer. Bayley tends to be pretty high energy so should I take her out for a 30 minute or so play time before I start with the trainer or just start her out fresh?
Ask your trainer to use your dog as a demo dog. If your dog is really high energy this will afford an opportunity for the trainer to offer some pre-class tips, or better still in-class tips to work around her energy.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Another question, Bayley tends to be pretty high energy so should I take her out for a 30 minute or so play time before I start with the trainer or just start her out fresh?
Excellent question.....especially for heeling! Some instructors will tell you to correct any bouncing, high energy, excess body movements and make the dog get into and hold the heel position. I'm one (of many) who feels that is a serious mistake with a novice dog. That enthusiasim and energy is exactly what you want.
The trick is how to turn that energy into the proper focus. That's something your trainer can help with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts