Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an energetic little mixed terrier. I've been doing clicker training with her for a some basic tricks (sit, stay, paw, jump) with food rewards. It works pretty well.

She needs more exercise, so my goal is to eventually go out to a field near my house and have her repeatedly run after a ball and bring it back to me.

So, I've been trying to teach her to fetch, but I've hit a bit of a block. I'll toss the ball a few feet away and click/reward whenever she noses it. Then I did the click/reward once she picked it up in her mouth. So far so good.

But I cannot get her to bring the ball back to me. She drops it where it landed and comes back to me without the ball to get her treat.

I'll point to the ball, and she'll trot over to nose it again or maybe pick it up, drop it, and then come back for her treat...without the ball.

How can I teach her that I want her to bring the ball back?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I would do some backchaining. Don't throw the ball at all. Just start with it at your feet or in your hand (ie, wherever you want her to ultimately bring the ball).
Mark and reward for nosing/mouthing/picking up and dropping in that specific location. Stay at this level for a good while, like maybe a week or more. When the pick up/drop is SOLID for that location, move the ball 6 inches or less away. You should see your dog pick up the ball and drop it in sweet spot due to the amount of reinforcement for that behavior. GRADUALLY move the ball farther away. Distance will come with training.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts