Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me in the direction of how to teach stand and stay? He is getting good at sit and laying down but i wanna start introducing some others soon. Thanks and sorry if it is staring at me right in the face.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Start with your dog in the sitting position. While standing beside him (NOT in front of him) put a treat in your open palm, show it to him at nose level and then move you hand away from him and slightly up so that he has to stand to get at the treat. You may have to vary the speed...go too fast and he might not follow go too slow and he might grab it. That hand motion becomes the cue for the Stand. When he becomes proficient, you can add the verbal command...remember, the NEW command (verbal or silent) always comes BEFORE the old command/signal.
Stay is usually taught from the down position which is easier for the dog to maintain but, you can do it from the Sit. Start out toe-to-toe. Hold out your hand like a stop sign and say "Stay". No movement is allowed....Stay means stay. Don't make the mistake of asking for a 10 minute stay without movement right away. Stay takes a long time to teach as it involves both distance and length of time. Work very close and start working the duration first. How long do you want...1 minute? When he's successful toe to toe for that amount of time now, work on distance 5' at 30 seconds, 8' for 30 seconds. That's the distance where obedience work falls apart...at 8'. From the dogs point of view you're in the next county....to far away for comfort...so watch that distance.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Start with your dog in the sitting position. While standing beside him (NOT in front of him) put a treat in your open palm, show it to him at nose level and then move you hand away from him and slightly up so that he has to stand to get at the treat. You may have to vary the speed...go too fast and he might not follow go too slow and he might grab it. That hand motion becomes the cue for the Stand. When he becomes proficient, you can add the verbal command...remember, the NEW command (verbal or silent) always comes BEFORE the old command/signal.
Stay is usually taught from the down position which is easier for the dog to maintain but, you can do it from the Sit. Start out toe-to-toe. Hold out your hand like a stop sign and say "Stay". No movement is allowed....Stay means stay. Don't make the mistake of asking for a 10 minute stay without movement right away. Stay takes a long time to teach as it involves both distance and length of time. Work very close and start working the duration first. How long do you want...1 minute? When he's successful toe to toe for that amount of time now, work on distance 5' at 30 seconds, 8' for 30 seconds. That's the distance where obedience work falls apart...at 8'. From the dogs point of view you're in the next county....to far away for comfort...so watch that distance.

yup! One thing that helps is to take the time to "square up" the dog so he/she is standing balanced and comfortable. This will make them less likely to take a step. Stay close in the beginning and be ready to correct. People tend to want to rush the teaching of "stay" and it just makes it worse. Take your time. When coming back to heel position and preparing to release the dog from the stay, remember to praise CALMLY. People get excited on the release and that also tends to teach the dog to move when you return. Good Luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I have a question though. I want him to stay in the down position but when do i reward with a treat? Also, when i go to give him the treat he gets up to go after the treat. How do i make him stay down while i give him the treat?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Generally you want to give the treat before you release them. If the dog gets up as you are giving him the treat, simply put him back into position, reminding him what he is doing (say down, or sit or whatever he was doing), and go to give him the treat again. They pick up quickly that they won't get the food if they move to get it from you. Wait a few seconds after giving him the treat before releasing him so he doesn't think getting a treat is the release.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Bend over and deliver the treat low to the floor...while he's still in the down position. If you need to say Stay or Wait or even hold out your hand like a stop sign, that's fine. Just be sure actually stays in the down position while taking the treat. They learn the 'rules of the game' pretty quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts