Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem; we are right now reseeding our back yard and I would like to give the grass a chance to grow. I need some tips or tricks to get the girls to go in the spot that we have designated, they are a 3 year old Golden Retriever and a 2 year old Lab mix. The lab mix also has a very gross habit of eating her poop, now it is true that we don't go out there every single day and clean up (especially in the winter) but we have actually been pretty good so far. So if you have any suggestions on how to break her of this habit, I would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could you have her on leash and go with her when she goes? When she's all done you can lead her away from the poop and try rewarding her coming with you and ignoring the poop. I think there are also products you can feed your dog to make her poop taste disgusting, but I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of these products or how they work. I think pineapple has the same affect in making poops taste gross, not too sure about this one too, lol. You can also train her the "leave it" command and train her to leave her poop alone that way.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked at the ingredients in those and would rather train her not to eat it. It is weird that she is doing it at all I feed her raw food.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Leash up your dogs, and take them to the designated area for pottying, and keep them in that area until they go, then lots of praise! Eventually they should get the idea that that's where they are supposed to go, and will go there. You could also give them a treat when they go there, just to reinforce it more and make training to quicker.

So, I have a dog who used to eat poop, so I know how you feel! It's disgusting! So, none of the products out there worked for my dog. The stuff you put in their water seemed to help a bit, but it's SUPER expensive. So, I'll list the biggest reasons why a dog eats their poop...1. They're lacking something in their diet(what food are you using?), 2. They're bored(does your dog always eat it, or only when left alone?), and 3. It smells good.

So, for the first one I need to know what brand of food you're using, a lot of the comercial brands seem to really suck for you dog haha. For the second one, just don't leave your dog outside alone for awhile so she doesn't get bored and eat it. For three, start training the command "Leave it." Hold a small treat on your hand(make sure you can get a good grip on it!), and tell your dog "Leave it", and then she'll probably try to get the treat from your hand. As soon as she leaves it alone, get VERY excited and tell her how good she is and give her the treat. Make sure, for at least the first little while, to ALWAYS have treats on hand when you let her out, so you can continue to reinforce t, and she'll realize she gets treats for it outside too :) It works wonders. My other dog, Bailey, was eating dirt for awhile, but once he realized leave it = treat, every time I tell him leave it he comes running ;)

Also, another possible cause, is that your dog isn't getting enough exercise or mental stimulation. Those are deffinetly not the normal ones thrown out there, but all I can say is, my dog stopped eating her poop once I started exercising her and soon more training with her.

Best of luck! :)

~IJMB

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is homemade by the same people that we buy it from, I think she is eating because she is bored, I really do need to get her out on more walks and that is my fault and that needs to be fixed. I have reason to believe that she is mixed with Boarder Collie (she is just too smart for her own good) I have thought of getting her started in agility but my only problem is that I have no way of getting around (easily at least. I don't drive) and of course time is always an issue but I will look into getting her into an agility class.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm so glad you see why she needs more exercise and mental stimulation :) It would be awesome if you could get her into an agility class, she'd thank you for it! There are some other fun things you can do at home too, that would deffinetly help :)

You might want to try a flirt pole! I'll have to go find the post explaining how to make one(because I don't have one for my dogs), but think of it as a cat dancer, but for dogs :) Or you could try playing "Find it." When I had a Lab, we played this game and he got very good and loved it! :) All you do, is get a plastic Easter egg(or some other small container like that), and let your dog watch you put a really strong smelling treat(like a hot dog piece) inside, and then "hide" it in a very easy place to find, and then tell your dog "Find it!" and as soon as she finds it, tell her how good she is and give her the treat inside. She should catch on very quickly, then start hidin it in more and more difficult places :)

You could also try giving her meals in a food dispensing toy, such as a tug-a-jug or one of the balls where the roll it around to get the food out. Or you could feed her meals to her for training, that's what I've been doing with my two lately, 1-2 meals a day are used for training(at normal meal times), and it really seems to help wear them out, plus you can use it to teach lots of fun tricks :)

~IJMB

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
itsjustmebre has some great tips. You can also make your own agility equipment with glue and PVC piping. This Old House has a step by step instruction online for several pieces of equipment. Since they're made of PVC, you can just take them apart to store when you're done.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I think she's eating it, because she's a Lab :) It is a very common trait among Labs... they will eat any poop that has a high protein content, and I imagine that a raw diet could result in higher protein passed through. One suggestion has been to put canned pineapple in the food.... seems like it tastes much better going in than coming out. Don't know, never tried it... and never tasted :)

The best method is to clean up diligently... it has been the best method for us.

One method to train a dog where the bathroom is in the backyard is to take a tiny bit of poop and smear it in the desired area. Seems to take about a week or two with persistence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts