Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apartment lease is ending soon and my Husband and I renting a small house, the closing will end next month.

Our landlord only allows small pets to be inside (our dog is far from small, she is a great dane) so we have to teach her to be outdoors. And before anyone says anything, she WILL have a kennel that is covered (it will be inside of a doorless building that is being custom built by my husband), she will have insulation in the building, two beds (one inside the building and one underneath the porch roof), plenty of toys, water, food.

We have been working on leaving her out at our vacation house and she whines and goes on, the neighbors even brought it up with us.

What can we do to make the transition easier.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
My apartment lease is ending soon and my Husband and I purchased a small house, the closing will end next month.

Our landlord only allows small pets to be inside (our dog is far from small, she is a great dane) so we have to teach her to be outdoors.
If you're purchasing the house, aren't YOU the landlord?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Great Danes are REALLY bad at being outdoor dogs. Any way you could negotiate with the landlord, pay an extra deposit or something? They just aren't made for cold weather, and they get so attached to their people that they act like they're being tortured if outside alone. It'll be really tough. What area do you live in---how cold does it get there, etc.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Danes are REALLY bad at being outdoor dogs. Any way you could negotiate with the landlord, pay an extra deposit or something? They just aren't made for cold weather, and they get so attached to their people that they act like they're being tortured if outside alone. It'll be really tough. What area do you live in---how cold does it get there, etc.?

We will be living in Dallas so usually doesn't get "that" bad there. We could talk with the land lord some more, see if we can't work something out, maybe show the land lord she in non destructive and very kind.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please talk to your landlord or find a new place. Dogs don't do well when they don't live with you. Living in the back yard is generally a terrible state for a dog. In order to spend time with her, you'll have to go outside. This is almost certain to lessen your time with her, which will cause her a lot of stress. If absolutely nothing can be done about this, unless you want your dog to start exhibiting serious problem behaviors, you'll have to dedicate at least 2 hours per day to spend outside with her. Here's a couple of things to remember:

Dogs don't do well with drastic changes to their living quarters or schedules. Do everything you can to make sure your dog is calm and happy when you move. Especially when already upset at moving, abruptly spending less time with you will cause a mountain of stress and unhappiness for your dog. I've never had or been around Great Danes, but from what I've read they're VERY social dogs that will not do well left out by themselves. If she starts doing things you don't like, take these things into account, and do what you can to keep your friend happy.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Please talk to your landlord or find a new place. Dogs don't do well when they don't live with you. Living in the back yard is generally a terrible state for a dog. In order to spend time with her, you'll have to go outside. This is almost certain to lessen your time with her, which will cause her a lot of stress. If absolutely nothing can be done about this, unless you want your dog to start exhibiting serious problem behaviors, you'll have to dedicate at least 2 hours per day to spend outside with her. Here's a couple of things to remember:

Dogs don't do well with drastic changes to their living quarters or schedules. Do everything you can to make sure your dog is calm and happy when you move. Especially when already upset at moving, abruptly spending less time with you will cause a mountain of stress and unhappiness for your dog. I've never had or been around Great Danes, but from what I've read they're VERY social dogs that will not do well left out by themselves. If she starts doing things you don't like, take these things into account, and do what you can to keep your friend happy.
This^^^. There are other houses for rent, that will allow indoor dogs. Find one or find your dog a new home where it can be indoors.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We rented a house when we had a Collie. The LL didn't allow pets, but I paid an extra one month's rent security deposit for the dog, after I assured him that Teddy was well-behaved (not destructive) and well taken care of. I also promised in writing to immediately pay for the repairs of any damage that might be done by the dog. This negotiation was done long distance; the LL had met my husband, but had not met Teddy or me. When he actually met Teddy a couple of months after we moved in, his mind was set fully at ease. So, sometimes it is possible to persuade a LL to change his mind.

In our case, the LL had had a hard time finding reliable renters -- he had already been through 2 evictions in less than a year, so he was not eager to lose us as tenants.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Rough collie has the right idea. Contact the landlord and see if you can make arrangements to keep the dog inside. If not,please find a new place to rent.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'd be looking to rent elsewhere honestly. Neither of my dogs wants to be outside alone for even a few hours. I think teaching an indoor dog to live outside would be potentially hellish. I care more about my pets safety than that.. I wouldn't consider a place that was outside pets only.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Definitely check out a heating mat and feed heavier as dogs need more energy to handle shivering and a Dane is as others have said not built for cold. Dallas is a tad easier though and I would also get dog out as soon as possible to build as much coat as a Dane can build (if any)

The heating mat can be put on floor and then a rubber mat put over top of it. They make them so that cord is pretty much dog proof. Depending on size of building heat lamps can be installed high to throw heat down on dog.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I think you can make her physically comfortable, with what you have planned plus suggestions like Wvasko's, but I do not think you can make her mentally comfortable with it.
Yes, an inside dog is also alone during the day (typically, when people are at work), but once the people are home for the day, the dog is around them. My dog is laying on the couch next to me. We aren't doing anything in particular, he's not getting any exercise or play but he's happy to be there. If I let him outside, after doing his business, he will sit at the gate and wait for me. he doesn't expect anything but some attention and my presence, which you cannot give to a dog that is stuck outside.
Even many people that keep "outside dogs" will let them in to parts of the house regularly. My boss has an "outside dog", a lab, but many evenings he lets the dog in the living room only and his teenage daughter hangs out with the dog for a few hours. While I don't think its ideal, its reasonable and the dog is pretty suited to the outdoor temperatures and seems okay with it. I don't think a Great Dane would be okay with this arrangement, which is most inside time and attention than your potential set-up would allow.

Ask the landlord if a larger deposit and/or a contractual obligation to fix damages would help. If your dog has had formal training or has a CGC cert, show the landlord that as a way of saying how good the dog is inside. Small dogs can shed like crazy (pugs for example) and destroy things nearly as well as any big dog (my friend's 35 lbs mix has destroyed several of Chester's very strong toys...) so her reasoning on the dogs inside thing is pretty faulty.

If all that is a no go, I would say find other housing if at all possible.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
but I do not think you can make her mentally comfortable with it.
I stayed away from the mental end of it as it could be a big problem. One thing that has not been mentioned is that (what I call) thin/skinned/coated dogs can injure themselves fighting the being left alone outside, bad stuff can happen.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I live in Arlington, right down the street from Dallas. Although the temperature doesn't get as cold as S. Dakota, last year we had two weeks with ice on the streets and the temp was in the lower 20s. Labs don't like that type of weather continuous, huskies might, but Great Danes will need some type of protection... a garage with a lightbulb might be OK. Also, when it rains here, it can be brutal. Finally, the dog will need plenty of shade and water from July to October to deal with the 100+ degree heat. Today, it was 83 degrees.

I leave my Lab outdoors a lot, but he was inside for a month last winter and for 3 - 4 months during the summer...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts