Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here and signed up because my 3 year old, deaf cattle dog, whilst adorable, is proving difficult to teach any manners. He is absolutely addicted to fetch and constantly begs to be played with, placing his slobbery ball in your lap whenever going outside. I have a few hand signals to tell him no, drop it, stay, etc. However it can be difficult to communicate with him when he's not looking. Does anyone have any tips to get his attention?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does he feel vibrations at all? I had a deaf Schnauzer and Wire Hair that if I lightly stomped the floor they would turn around.

·
Super Moderator
2,962 Posts
Some people will use an e-collar, vibration setting only, as an attention getter, especially at great distance where making vibrations in the floor would be ineffective. You may want to consult a professional to get you started and teach the dog that a reward will follow a vibration, because sometimes they can be afraid of it even though it only feels like a cell phone vibrating.

It would also be beneficial to teach your dog to periodically check in with you. So, you might just hang out on the couch, and every time your dog looks at you can toss a treat. This will encourage your dog to pause and check in with you more frequently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts