Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sure that all of you with husky type dogs know exactly what i am talking about :D when we are gone out and come back home or when we get iorek from daycare he will "tell us stories" or that is what we call it. he does this wooo woooo wooo wooooo thing that i just LOVE! i decided this morning that i would try to get him to do it on cue. my plan was to get him to do it and then treat him. well...getting him to do it is another story! i was sitting there in the living room going wooo wooo wooo myself and iorek is looking at me like i have officially lost it! he is running through all of the tricks that he knows because he knows that i want him to do something :D hahaha! he even rolled over a bunch of times, it was actually the first trick that he did, since he knows that is the one that i ask for most and he likes to do the least! silly guy! (i like to get him to roll over to make sure he doesn't forget it, he doesn't want to do it all the time) i taught him to give paw because my old landlord really loves for dogs to give her paw (she is an elderly lady and always asks iorek for paw) so i am sitting there on the floor woo wooo wooooing and iorek is rolling over and smacking me in the face with his feet...

anyway! it didn't work! :rolleyes: so, i am wondering if any of you have a suggestion for me to try. i don't want to start treating him for it when we get home because i am worried about making too big a deal when we come home and he gets out of the kennel, won't that lead to seperation anxiety or him not wanting to go in the kennel if it is such a great thing to come out? i don't know! i don't know too much about dog training at all really!

so, any suggestions will be enthusiastically tried :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can try playing howling on youtube, maybe they will go along with it.
My husky likes to talk when he plays or when theres food.
My klee kai on the hand talks all day, that's why I named her Melody.:D

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will try the youtube thing! thanks for the suggestion :)

he is not really howling, it is different, almost like he is trying to talk :D i love it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
While he's talking, give him a command like "tell me a story" and then treat. Something like the process in which dogs are trained to eliminate on command. If you use the command while he's talking he will associate his behavior with the command. Then hopefully he will learn to talk when you ask. That would be a neat trick, I love those silly noises pups make!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is what i want to do, but i am afraid that the timing is not good i.e. when we get home.

i tried the youtube videos and iorek perked up his ears for a second and then went somewhere else to lay down... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
hehe, Bayley does that talking when she gets excited. I've wanted to do the same with her. So far nothing seems to work. I may have to just try taking her to the park, that's when she does the most 'talking' and just sit in the car and everytime she makes one of her little noises give her a treat.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, if i figure out a way to do it i will post it :) iorek doesn't do it at the park, or anywhere really but when we come home and when we pick him up from daycare.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
OMG I know exactly the story telling you're talking about! I've never had a dog that does like that, but we do have a particular husky that comes in for regular grooming & he just goes on & on telling us all about it, like nothing I've ever heard before! It's really sooo funny to hear, tho after a long while it somewhat gets on the groomers nerves.
The first time the dog was in, when the owner came to pick him up I (very) unintentionally offended him by commenting on how vocal the dog was. He got defensive until I explained that I didn't mean his dog barked, rather just liked to "talk" to us & tell us all about his day & that I personally found it rather entertaining.

Good luck with the training!

·
Registered
257 Posts
that is what i want to do, but i am afraid that the timing is not good i.e. when we get home.

i tried the youtube videos and iorek perked up his ears for a second and then went somewhere else to lay down... :rolleyes:
My husky does that, too. It worked for another husky I had. :p

OMG I know exactly the story telling you're talking about! I've never had a dog that does like that, but we do have a particular husky that comes in for regular grooming & he just goes on & on telling us all about it, like nothing I've ever heard before! It's really sooo funny to hear, tho after a long while it somewhat gets on the groomers nerves.
The first time the dog was in, when the owner came to pick him up I (very) unintentionally offended him by commenting on how vocal the dog was. He got defensive until I explained that I didn't mean his dog barked, rather just liked to "talk" to us & tell us all about his day & that I personally found it rather entertaining.

I know how you feel, my klee kai won't shut up. :eek:

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

haha! that is funny! i would think that if the man owned a dog that talked a lot then he would understand what you meant. oh well! some people are silly :) i love it when iorek makes those sounds, but i can understand how it could get on some groomers nerves, especially if it was constant!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I love it when dogs talk. Poca does a grumbly thing that's so cute. She's not much of a barker so when you hear her talking it's quite a surprise. I liked it so much that I decided I would teach her to do it on command.

I would hold a really high value treat like chicken in front of her and reward her with it if she made the slightest noise. As she got better at it, I would withhold the treat until she got louder. Eventually, she had to give me a full bark to get the chicken. I trained her to speak with either a spoken command or by raising my eyebrows at her (I know, dumb parlor trick, but it's funny to watch people react to it).

You could stop short of a bark so that he just has to talk to get the treat. It took a couple of days for Poca to get it down solid. I bet Iorek would pick it up really quickly. Let us know how it goes. And record it if you can!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the tip! :) i was thinking of doing that but he goes to the bark before the talking...maybe i will teach him to "speak" too, maybe that will make it easier. who knows :) he made the sounds yesterday and i didn't have any treats at the time so i got really excited and he had no idea what i was doing but he had great time! hahaha! i think that getting him to tell stories will take a lot longer than the speak command.

growing up we had a dog that would not bark, ever! and he was a siberian husky! anyway, we had to teach him to speak so we would know when he wanted back in so we taught him a hand signal to speak so when we saw him standing at the door we could do the hand signal so he would bark before he came in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I love it when dogs talk. Poca does a grumbly thing that's so cute. She's not much of a barker so when you hear her talking it's quite a surprise. I liked it so much that I decided I would teach her to do it on command.

I would hold a really high value treat like chicken in front of her and reward her with it if she made the slightest noise. As she got better at it, I would withhold the treat until she got louder. Eventually, she had to give me a full bark to get the chicken. I trained her to speak with either a spoken command or by raising my eyebrows at her (I know, dumb parlor trick, but it's funny to watch people react to it).

You could stop short of a bark so that he just has to talk to get the treat. It took a couple of days for Poca to get it down solid. I bet Iorek would pick it up really quickly. Let us know how it goes. And record it if you can!
Have you made a video of it ? :)

thanks for the tip! :) i was thinking of doing that but he goes to the bark before the talking...maybe i will teach him to "speak" too, maybe that will make it easier. who knows :) he made the sounds yesterday and i didn't have any treats at the time so i got really excited and he had no idea what i was doing but he had great time! hahaha! i think that getting him to tell stories will take a lot longer than the speak command.

growing up we had a dog that would not bark, ever! and he was a siberian husky! anyway, we had to teach him to speak so we would know when he wanted back in so we taught him a hand signal to speak so when we saw him standing at the door we could do the hand signal so he would bark before he came in.
Most siberian huskies don't bark much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was a husky at the DP yesterday following Rufus around going "raw rawr rawr". Cracked me up. Definitely teach Iorek to talk, people would love that trick.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is just a common misconception that huskies are loud and bark/howl all the time. my experience is that this is not true! :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Have you made a video of it ? :)
I wish I had a video camera so I could. I tried it with my phone but it's such a low rumble that you can't hear it very well. One of these birthdays I'll have to drop a large hint on DH to get me a video camera....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts