Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I tried this, I sucked at it. Bad.

Now I'm trying it again and this is what I'm doing so far.

Basically, I call him with "Front", bend a little, and put my hand in front of me near my legs, fingers closed together.

The idea, in theory, is to use targeting to guide him on the line he needs to take in order to line up and sit in front of me.

He's getting it if the distance is relatively small, but if the distance is relatively far (meaning, far enough to where he wants to get a full head of steam and CHARGE at me :eek: :rolleyes:), he can't slow down fast enough to hit the target and ends up past me a little, although it's a little closer to where "heel" would be on my left.

Am I on the right track? How can I either a) get him to not CHARGE at me on recall (dang eager recall! :D ), or b) somehow train him to be able to slow down as he gets close to me so he gives himself a chance to hit the position?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Use the static exercises for front until you're sure he knows where front is. In other words, don't always pair it with the recall. The static exercises are toe to toe; you take a step back/he scoots toward you; 1/2 step left; 1/2 step right; 45 degree angles and the hard one for last....call to front while he's in heel position.....does he really understand what front means and know where front is? Your targeting is fine...use that for all the exercises except the last one....that's the final test...no help from you.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips.

It seems he does have an idea of where front is, but doing those exercises will tell me for sure and give me another way to explaining it to him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts