Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Recently I have been teaching my dog to learn his toys by name. I made a video of my Corgi fetching different Star Wars toys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5t7tnJMwr4
My dog is very good at fetching them all correctly when I go in the same order every time. But sometimes when I change the order he messes up. I wonder if anybody has advice on how to make sure he is really learning the names.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Like any other verbal cue, you need to make sure you only reward the behavior you want to see. If we cue "sit" and the dog lies down, we don't reward. Learning the 'names' of individual toys is taught much the same way. When you request a particular toy is fetched, then you only reward (but reward *heavily*) the bringing of *that* toy.

For my 'fetch monster' I didn't actually set out to teach him the names of all his different toys, but when I go out to the yard to play with him, I will ONLY throw the toy I ask for by name. If he's throwing his frisbee under my feet, I won't pick it up, but might say "Go get 'new-ball'" (or 'bouncy' or 'stick' or 'spidey-ball' or whatever name I have come up with for one of his umpteen different yard fetch toys) and I will NOT give him his most desired reward of throwing that toy for a fetch game unless he provides me with the one I requested.

In the video, I didn't see where you provided any sort of reward (either by throwing the toy or offering a treat) for his performance? To solidify the cue to bring the named toy, I'd suggest making certain you provide high value reward when he does so (whatever he deems most high-value, that is)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi BK thanks a lot for the advice! I was actually shoveling him treats off camera. I am going to try mixing it up a little bit more following what you suggest and see how he does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts