Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to teach Nia to fetch because during the winter it rains almost daily here.

Nia's friend plays fetch at home for hours and loves it when it's raining so she gets enough exercise. I would like Nia to play as well...

Currently when I throw the ball, she will chase it but won't pick it up or bring it back.

How can I get her to pick up the ball?

Otherwise I would really need to invest in a treadmill for the winter which I am very reluctant to do because we have NO space in our house.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Start very close, in a narrow hallway, with a line on the pooch. Do what it takes to make the ball or bumper attractive enough to pick up. Dip it in gravy if need be. Short toss, dog picks up, gently lead back to you with line offer piece of stinky cheese in exchange for object. If the dog picks up a 3 foot toss, but drops it 2 feet away, shorten the toss to less than 1 foot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can find a toy he/she likes and start tossing it and saying fetch at the same time. Make sure to have a treat when he/she comes back with it. Took me a while to get my cockapoo to learn, but he figured it out himself.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a really, really good article that has step-by-step instructions on how to clicker train your dog to retrieve. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts