Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
The first bite does sound like an accident. I can't even count the number of times my dog has broken skin on my hands when we're playing tug or something. They hurt like heck, but the dog just missed, typically. They're more careful when you yelp and have to go bandage your hand! Simply teaching the dog to drop the toy at the child's feet can eliminate that problem.

The second bite was...I don't want to say justified, but it's understandable. The dog was shoved. Not appreciated. Kid shouldn't do that and needs to be taught boundaries. The dog could have been startled. If she's new, she might be a bit defensive, still. Some dogs just don't tolerate that kind of rough behavior from kids. Does the dog solicit attention from the child at all, or not really?

Honestly, if the dog is fine under normal circumstances and does not appear to be stressed by the child, the kid is the problem. Perhaps teach the child proper ways to ask the dog to move and include her in training sessions. I taught my dog to play the "find it" game with my niece. Both have super fun, and the only time they touch is when the dog takes a treat (gently!) from my nieces open hand.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
Thank you for your replys. Maya (dog) is more attentive to me and our son (11). When she wants to play she does bring toys to our daughter and drops them at her feet. My daughter tells her to sit and she listens and waits for our daughter to throw the toy. We no longer let them play tug of war together. We are working with our daughter to be gentile and respect Maya when she walks away, not to chase or follow her around, to wait until she comes to her to play. Also when Maya lays in her bed that is a safe area. Our daughter is not allowed to bother her while she is in her bed, just so she has a place to go where she can feel safe to be alone.

@lillith What is the "find it" game and how did you teach your dog and niece to play it?
The 'find it' game is when the dog finds a hidden object or treat around the house. It's just a fun little game that the dog thinks is awesome and the kids get a kick out of. You can look up how to do it on YouTube, they give the best description.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts