Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i take my dog stream fishing with me all the time and nothing frustrates me more when she runs ahead of me and starts trampling and splashing where im gonna fish in 5 min! but i do not care if she does so downstream where ive already fished. so i would like to teach her the command "behind" i do not need her on my side as if im wading waist deep water that really wouldnt work out. so i just need her to know that shes gotta be downstream of me instead of upstream. how would i go about teaching this? do i need to take her to the river and spend time doing it or can i do it at home?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I have no idea, but I'm going to try to figure this out.

I have a few ideas that popped into my head, and if any show promise on Wally, I'll mention.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I can't be of much help to you in specifics, but you will need to get a check cord or long line and practice in the field. You may be able to teach the behavior at home, though I don't think it would be as effective.

My suggestion would be to visit a gun dog forum or talk to a local hunting club. They may have the expertise that you are looking for. Also, keep her on a long line BEFORE you get to the stream. If she tries to charge the water, hold her back and put her in a heal. Hold the line while fishing (you might not get a lot of fishing done at first) and hold her back every time she tries to cross in front.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i take my dog stream fishing with me all the time and nothing frustrates me more when she runs ahead of me and starts trampling and splashing where im gonna fish in 5 min! but i do not care if she does so downstream where ive already fished. so i would like to teach her the command "behind" i do not need her on my side as if im wading waist deep water that really wouldnt work out. so i just need her to know that shes gotta be downstream of me instead of upstream. how would i go about teaching this? do i need to take her to the river and spend time doing it or can i do it at home?
You basically want to teach your dog to heel, right?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
One thing I tried was targeting.

At first, he thought I was asking for a stay on the move (i.e. we're walking, I signal stay, he stays put while I keep going.) because I was using my left hand (I'm left-handed). Which I switched to the right hand, he was a little like "What is that?" but then I could tell him "what it is" lol.

I put my right hand behind my back and had him to "find my hand".

Since my hands are targets to him, he started following my hand, which was oriented behind me. I click and treat him as he was following behind me.

I kept doing this, redirecting and ask him to "find my hand". Then click and treat as he followed behind me.

After the c/t, I started keeping my right hand behind me and no other signal. He was uncertain, but following in the right position (this had to seem so sudden to him, he usually walks in heel at my left so he's like "what is this? I don't even...")

I haven't put any other "real" cue to it just yet, since it's just the starting phase of the behavior. I think it could be a way to go.

Personally, I would work it everywhere. Home, field, where ever, so she can get the hang of doing it and you can get it generalized while learning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You basically want to teach your dog to heel, right?
no, when we are walking to a spot she is always behind me, the only time she leads is when running after some animal. while fishing she does her thing while i do mine. i dont want her on my side as i may be to deep for her to stand or may get tangled up in the line i have just stripped in. i just need her to understand she isnt allowed upstream. she knows the command "out of the water" and "no splashing" but its to late to fish that spot if ive used those commands. i think the field idea is a good one.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Sounds like you have a really good relationship with your dog already and that she understands/respects her place while you are out in the field.

I think KBlover is onto something (makes me want to grab my clicker and try it as well!). You could start teaching directionals. I am not sure how you do this exactly: I've watched some youtube videos and read up on it but never seen it demonstrated. Check out the resources around. I know there must be some way of teaching 'behind' as field retrievers need to know this on blind retrieves...

Anyways, I'd love to seem some pictures of you and your girl out in the field!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
In agility a lot of people teach "Out" for their dogs to move farther away from them. Not really sure how this would work, as I never really taught Soro this.

But I imagine that if I wanted to try this tomorrow I would start by placing something interesting a fair distance away from me, and clicking and rewarding when he went towards the lure (and away from me). The cue I'd use is pointing in a certain direction (towards the lure for the time being) and saying "Out." I'd put the lure different distances and directions from me. And eventually I'd remove the lure and hopefully he will have learned to move away from me in a certain direction. (This is definitely not the Agility "out," two separate trains of thought from me :D)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I tried this again tonight, and pretty much it went the same way as before.

However, I did see one "maybe" to see he might be catching on.

I said "Behind" when he was starting to move back to heel, and he slowed down and started following behind me.

Needless to say, he got a jackpot for that and he had some fun (at 1:30 AM, but hey, celebrating success takes precedence over looking sane LOL.

But I imagine that if I wanted to try this tomorrow I would start by placing something interesting a fair distance away from me, and clicking and rewarding when he went towards the lure (and away from me). The cue I'd use is pointing in a certain direction (towards the lure for the time being) and saying "Out." I'd put the lure different distances and directions from me. And eventually I'd remove the lure and hopefully he will have learned to move away from me in a certain direction. (This is definitely not the Agility "out," two separate trains of thought from me :D)

Wally learned "Go Back" from doing something like this. I think he picked it up from the directions training (which I need to get back too...sigh...so much to work on, so little time)

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Actually KBLover, by reading through your posts on the matching game and other threads... I now have a long list of stuff I need to teach Soro, and a list of stuff to touch up on as well :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts