Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By appropriately I mean for good and not evil!

A short time ago I posted with an ask about dog bed recommendations. Shortly after that, as a trial, I brought our small twin guest mattress down and put it in our bedroom to see if Pai would even use it. He did a little - still favoured the floor but I'd wake to catch him sleeping on it sometimes in the night. Also he made no attempt to destroy it (perhaps because it was large) which gave me hope.

Two days ago I was visiting a nice pet shop nearby and they had a sale on beds. I ended up coming up me with a Bowsers Bed. I decided to do some controlled introduction to the bed with treats whenever he would voluntarily get into it, and would treat treat treat as long as he was in it and behaving calmly. We did this for 20 or so mins for the last two evenings, and then yesterday eve I also gave him a bone to eat in the bed - all good. Did require a few reminders to be cool, but overall he was so good that we left the bed out last night without any issues.

This morning - different story! He's all over that bed like it's the best toy in the place. Chewing, digging, yipping, pulling it around. I kept interrupting, praising him when he was calm with it (either in it or out of it) but it didn't stop so I actually just took it away again and now he's sleeping peacefully at my feet. *this is normally the time in the day he is most chill, which is why I thought to spend some time with the bed out while I worked.

Any tips for training the dog to use the bed as it's meant to be used? And should I continue to take it away when he gets wild? It's a big heavy bed so this is not an ideal intervention, but I'll do it if it will help. Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ohhh I LOVE Bowser beds <3

With that said, I would probably try something similar to doggy zen around the presence of the bed. I would probably lead the dog on a leash during a time when he usually sleeps, and put it by your feet or in his favorite spot to sleep. I would lead him onto it and have him lie down, and intermittently reward him with treats once he starts to relax. If he starts playing with it, I would probably tell him to leave it (if he knows the command), and redirect his attention to an appropriate toy.

I would probably limit his access to the bed until he starts understanding that the bed is not a toy lol!

PS, which one did you get? :) I have the Crescent bed from them and I love it but I totally want more.. lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhh I LOVE Bowser beds <3

With that said, I would probably try something similar to doggy zen around the presence of the bed. I would probably lead the dog on a leash during a time when he usually sleeps, and put it by your feet or in his favorite spot to sleep. I would lead him onto it and have him lie down, and intermittently reward him with treats once he starts to relax. If he starts playing with it, I would probably tell him to leave it (if he knows the command), and redirect his attention to an appropriate toy.

I would probably limit his access to the bed until he starts understanding that the bed is not a toy lol!

PS, which one did you get? :) I have the Crescent bed from them and I love it but I totally want more.. lol
I think your suggestions are great, and probably you're right we'll have to limit access until he figures this out.

It's a doughnut style bed and is very soft. I really wanted a canvas or denim material, but had a hard time finding the right bed prefab. I think I'll make the next bed cover myself (with a little help) and try a crib mattress.

Here's the naughty young man, trying to be good:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
He looks so comfortable! I actually love their microvelvet <3 The dogs and cats love it too. I'm not gonna lie, if I'm sitting on the ground and I want a little extra comfort, I sit in Meeko's Bowser bed LOLOLOL I'm honestly tempted to buy the double donut for myself... >_> lol

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
No dog I've ever owned has really liked beds, so I just let it go. Mine just use mats now, because I've trained a mat behavior so they gravitate towards them. Hazel spent some time trying to use them as toys, but I just kept redirecting and removing them if she really wouldn't leave them alone, and she's fine with them now.

I would take it away from him when he's "in a mood", and give it back when he's calmer. I think he'll get it. Love the picture!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No dog I've ever owned has really liked beds, so I just let it go. Mine just use mats now, because I've trained a mat behavior so they gravitate towards them. Hazel spent some time trying to use them as toys, but I just kept redirecting and removing them if she really wouldn't leave them alone, and she's fine with them now.

I would take it away from him when he's "in a mood", and give it back when he's calmer. I think he'll get it. Love the picture!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Here's hoping he gets it sooner than later :)

.... My dog used to LOVE ... my bed!
Lucky dog!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
LOL this is the reason my dog doesnt have a bed in his crate haha. He has a mat he can lie on but prefers the floor :confused: silly dogs lmao. Though as it gets colder, he might start liking the mat more, though we plan to get our older dog a nice orthopedic bed for her birthday, or christmas, and when we do that he will inherit her bed.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My dogs have always loved beds, even hairy Max. I didn't think dogs really liked beds much but Sassy taught Max and Max taught Ginger and Ginger is teaching Bucky that beds are great apparently. Sassy really loved soft and snuggly, she was under the covers, melted on down comforters and sun bathed every chance she got.

Bucky will play kill the bed with the cuddler dog bed pillow that serves as the daytime crate bed but after that he curls up on it waiting for me to let him out for more Bucky mayhem and hasn't damaged it so far. He scratches the pad in his nightime crate into a wad when he wants out in the morning but also scratches it back to a mat to sleep.

I like the idea of taking it away when he plays kill the bed and giving it back when he is nice to it and I wouldn't leave him with it for a good long while, bored dogs are usually the bed destroyers. Bucky is left with his pillow and it has been fine but it has only been 7 weeks - early days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts