Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year old Blue Nose, (Diesel). He was abandoned by his mom and the owner tried to feed him on her own. We got him when he was 17 days old. He is huge and healthy and I'm going to try to send a pic.
There was a reason his mother didn't want him. He has brain damage and the vet thinks he lacked oxygen from birth. He didn't walk till over a month and didn't bark till he was 10 months. He still hasn't growled. He luckily has no aggression and is genuinly sweet natured.
Here is the problem. I don't know how to teach him gentle. He tries to play with the little dogs and steps on them and tries to lay on them when he's tired. He does it to everyone in the house and the bigger dogs but the little ones worry me. They love him when he's asleep and will lay on him and lick him, it's just that he's too rough. I've taught him some basic commands like down and wait and sit but can't figure out how to teach him that he's huge and needs to be soft.
I did upload pics to show you his size. The boxer with him is my baby and Diesel looks at him like a dad. Thank you for any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The pic of your and Diesel is too cute!

I really don't know how to help you. I don't think dogs in general are too aware of their size and with brain damage added to that, I don't know.

I looked up "teaching a dog to be gentle" and got results on what I teach my dogs about taking treats: http://www.loveyourdog.com/gentle.html. I wonder if starting with something like this might introduce him to the concept of not rushing in full force. It couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to look up that site. The guy with Diesel is my son in law. Because of his size, (him 101) (me 109) I had to teach him early how to be gentle with me. I just have been having a problem transfering that to the little dogs and small children. He thinks it's perfectly fine to sit in the lap of a six year old when one of the dogs takes his toy. By the way he will take a french fry from my lips without touching me but will sit on my head if i'm on the floor doing something. Love him though

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have no advice to offer .... but he is beautiful and HUGE! :) Both dogs are good looking ... I don't want to leave your Boxer out and offend him! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts