Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy turned 1 y/o last month and I thought by now she would start to be more observant of her surroundings. She gets so excited when playing that she gets tunnel vision and runs into things. I feel like it's actually getting worse. In the last few weeks, she has been running into me and knocking me over. Last time, I hit my head on the deck steps and my back on the corner of a cement pad (luckily, nothing broken and no concussion). Tonight, I landed hands and knees first into a pile of rocks. Both times, I was walking; the last time she ran into me from behind and this time she ran into me from the front. She is playing with our other dog, who hardly ever runs into anything unless the puppy pushes her into it. And earlier today, she ran head first into the fence. I suspect she has a very high pain tolerance as she has only cried out twice, despite limping drastically times she did not cry out. I've tried screaming and crying but she never seems to notice she just keeps going. My other dog eventually stops the play, but then the puppy just goes immediately into something else like hunting insects.

Is there anything I can do to teach her to be more careful around people? She already knows not to bite hard because the fun stops, but since I'm not the source of this fun and she can easily move into something else, how do I get this message across? Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Perhaps interrupting her play when she gets too wound up would help? You know when she's starting to go crazy, call her before she gets into that zone for a short directed play session or fun training session then send her out to play again.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If you taught her not to bite hard, then use a similar method when she gets too close to you, while playing. You can ask her to sit, put the leash on her, and stop the play for the same length of time that you did for biting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts