Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to put down our 18 year old kitty, I am very sad but know it was the right thing to do. He was my moms cat and she passed in 2000 so we have all been taking care of him since and now was him time to go be with my mom. The vet came to our home so he went peacefully in his home with his family. I have had him since he was 3 weeks old and had to bottle feed him, since he has been a very happy crazy part of our family. I just wanted to say a few words to you all about hiim. Thank you all

·
Registered
28 Posts
So sorry about your kitty..wow 18yrs..that is so hard to have him that long and now he is gone. I am so impressed that the vet came to your house. That is sure what my dh and I would have wanted for our Hank.By the way we pick up Hanks remains today. It is so hard to say goodbye to our little helpless little ones. May he rest in peace without pain. Hanks Mom Sally

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know we had a wonderful 18 years with him and I feel blessed for everyday in those 18 years. He was crazy and silly and fistey and full of you know what. Thank you for your kind words..... You are so sweet. Yes it was great the vet came to house it was very peaceful. Thank you again

Also I think it is really great you are going to keep him. I have my mom and it brings me a lot of peace even if other think its a little odd. I love that she is always here with me and I always have her comfort. I hope having with you always brings you a little peace I think it will. CAn you tell me a bit about him I mean his sillyness or fun things he did. I would really love to hear about him. He sounds like a wonderful friend.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Honey, I am so so sorry. I went through the exact same thing 8 months ago and it is so hard to move on. Did you have a private cremation or did you bury him close to you? You and everyone that was close to him are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had hiim burried close to us and that helps. I swear these dang animals can put me through the wringer. I just cant stand any animal to be in pain I know we did the right thing but in still hurts. I am alot better today and have not cried but that might because I am out of tears lol.. I am sorry too for your pain of losing your baby. Its hard no matter what I am trying now to remember all the good times and there were many of them... Like when he was young he would trap us kids in a room so we couldnt get out lol I know it sounds weird but he was SASSY and we would have to yell for our mom it get him away so we could get out lol. He was great.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ahh, you're making me cry!!!

Something I did about a week ago with a horse that was taken from me over a year ago was I went through ALL my pictures on my computer, took them to Walmart to get them printed (about 200 pictures!), and bought a beautiful photo album that says "Memories" on the front and put all the pictures in there, so when I need to cry, I can, and when I need to remember him, I have them all right there.

I know I need to do the same with Smokey, but I've moved 700 miles away from home which is where all the older pictures are. When I go visit in March I'll have to go through all the albums and take the pictures out and get copies of them for myself so I can remember him. He was definitely the absolute greatest blessing in all of our lives and I know that none of us will ever, ever forget him.

Goodness, I'm such a baby getting all teary eyed again!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No you are not a baby but lol thats what I told my husband lyesterday when he kept asking if I was ok I kept crying and saying I know I am just being a big ol cry baby. I feel much much better today though because I knew it was the right thing it was just very sad...
Now today I am waiting to hear from my vet if my other kitty has cancer, I am not looking forward to this call either but at least I will know. Maybe beable to to help her fpr sometime....

If you dont mind my asking what happened to smokey?

·
Registered
64 Posts
He was 17, had a great life, and slowly went downhill. I noticed months before that he stopped eating cheese. He loved cheese, but he wouldn't eat it. I didn't think about it much, but a week before we took him to the vet, he stopped eating. His fur started getting oily, and I noticed his breath smelled like urine. I told my mom and she said he probably peed on himself, but it didn't make sense that his breath would smell bad. It was Friday and I looked at him, and his eyes were just so sunken in. He looked like death. I didn't know he hadn't been eating because I was working 12-14 hour days and I didn't find out until Friday that he hadn't been eating. I tried giving him tuna juice, and he turned it away. I tried all of his favorite things and he wouldn't take it. Since it was the weekend, we had to wait until monday, and that entire weekend, he went downhill fast. We took him in on Monday, left him there and they did bloodwork and fluids.

His kidneys started shutting down, and I think his liver, which is why his breath smelled like urine. Anyways, they tried for 2 days to stop his kidneys from failing and reversing it but they couldn't get him to eat anything. Day 3, I went in there before work to visit him and he was just gone. That was the first time I made eye contact with him in 2 weeks, and when our eyes locked, he told me he had no fight left and it was time to go. I held him and cried and thanked him for everything he had done in my life and that I love him with all my heart and I always will. I called my mom and told her that we need to make the call; he's done fighting. The whole family met at the vet while I was at work and said their goodbyes.

We ended up doing a private cremation and he's in a beautiful oak box at home. We tried to help him fight but it would have been selfish to continue the drugs and the treatment, but there is absolutely no doubt that his spirit lives on in all of us. He was truly an amazing animal.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean by locking eyes and just knowing. He sounds amazing and thank you for sharing a piece of him with me. My girls love chesse too now everytime I feed them cheese I will think of smokey.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Aww thank you! You're too sweet.

My next door neighbor lost her cat 2 weeks from ours. I don't remember if it was before or after, though, but he had cancer in a few places, one of which was his rectum.

I hope your kitty doesn't have cancer. Let me know if you find out, though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WELL GUESS WHAT! I just got off the phone with vet and its NOT I repeat NOT cancer.... I am so happy OMG. The vet said its something really easy to take care off they will just remove it and she should be fine and happy....I am so happy..... Thank you for your support

1 - 12 of 12 Posts